“Third time is not the charm: Noisy and Costly Parking”

Residence Inn Sacramento Downtown at Capitol Park
Ranked #1 of 81 Hotels in Sacramento
GreenLeadersBronze level
Phoenix, Arizona
“Third time is not the charm: Noisy and Costly Parking”
Reviewed October 27, 2013

We have stayed here twice before. The location is good as you can walk to bars and restaurants. The room is excellent as others have stated and the service was efficient and polite.

With all of the positives, why won't we be back? First of all how many Residence Inns charge for parking? None others that I have been to, but this one tacks on $17/night and it is not prominent when you make the reservation. It is loud! I know urban hotels will be a bit louder, but this hotel had noise, inside and out, until 4:30 in the morning. Not a good night's sleep. The last straw was the security guard in the lobby at 5am as we were leaving. How safe is the area if the hotel needs a security guard? By the way, the security guard did not offer to walk us out to our car, past the smelly garbage, on the 7th floor of the parking structure. Clearly the guard is there for the employees and to protect the lobby, not the guests. This hotel does not represent the Residence Inn brand at all.

Room Tip: Ask for room away from street.
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank KevinBuildsWireless
smoranvi, General Manager at Residence Inn Sacramento Downtown at Capitol Park, responded to this review, October 30, 2013
Thank you for your review! I do apologize for your disappointment, you are correct not many Residence Inn's charge for parking but not many are in downtown locations. Unfortunately, the hotel does not own the parking garage, we have a contract to rent spaces in the garage. I can tell you we charge less for our parking than the other hotels in the downtown area. As far as security, all hotels downtown have security. It is necessary as a high rise building and meant to aid the hotel staff in the event of an emergency or occasionally to prevent parties from taking place in our guest rooms; I do apologize if this left you with an uneasy feeling. I do appreciate your feedback and I did share this with our team.

Shelly Moranville

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (183)
Santa Cruz, CA
Reviewed October 18, 2013

We had a 2 night stay and the room was very nice, clean and comfortable. The air conditioner was pretty darn loud but necessary to have on with Sacramento temps in the summer. Food in this neighborhood is close to non existence after 10pm unless you're willing to drive or just need a snack from the onsite store. We did find a great pizza place who would deliver to the hotel (Pizza Rock). We could see some girl tossing her cookies on the street below, we guess because there is a lot of drinking options, but no food to soak it up!

The hotel's FireSide lounge was really loud and the female bartender forgot our drinks! When my husband finally got her attention, she said she would only charge us for one drink, took our money and never came back with the change. I guess she assumed she should get a 2 $ tip. Rude and the drinks were just mediocre.

Free breakfast was not worth it. Eggs tasted like FISH? So did the Casaba Mellon! Only thing good was the pastries and toast. Went out to breakfast elsewhere the 2nd morning so we could actually have a meal. My biggest gripe however is with my Marriott Elite status, we were not even offered free Wifi and when I asked for a late check out, they wanted $75! $75 for an hour is ridiculous and I thought my "status" provided me a late check out. Normally I would have pre-cleaned the room before I left but not this time. I will not go back to this Marriott and I definitely won't recommend it either.

Room Tip: 2 bedroom suite, Capital Park view was very nice
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank hookedonred
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed October 17, 2013

I was in Sacramento on a business trip for 1 night and this is where my company chose to have us stay. Residence Inn has everything I could want in a hotel and I just wish I would have had more time to enjoy it. My room was immaculate, with state of the art fixtures and décor,and a beautiful flat screen that rolls out right in front of a big comfortable King Size bed. There were plenty of channel selections, current movies and interactive games to choose from. The bathroom was fully stocked and the kitchenette has a huge refrigerator, full stove and plenty of cabinet space (of course you might expect this from a Residence Inn, but the quality of everything was quite impressive). I immediately wanted to stay for a week upon entering the room.

My co-workers and I went out to a highly recommended local resteraunt, which was walking distance from the hotel. I must say I was much more impressed with Sacramento's nightlife than I expected to be and this Residence Inn is right in the thick of the scene. After a fantastic meal, unfortunately we had to return to the hotel as we had an early business meeting. I was able to wake up early and take advantage of the workout room, which also had state of the art machines, and afterwards hit the Jacuzzi. After enjoying that experience, I showered & went to breakfast, and I have to say if this was not the BEST complimentary breakfast spread I've ever had at a hotel, it certainly is close. My biggest regret was checking out after such an enjoyable experience and I HIGHLY recommend Residence Inn for anyone planning to stay in Downtown Sacramento for ANY period of time.

1 Thank Anson J
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed October 15, 2013 via mobile

Wow! I stayed at the Residence Inn for two months. The staff was amazing. I would like to thank Virginia, Tim, Adriana, Marisa, Esperanza, Dominique, Maria, Emma, Margarita, Cesar, Toby, Cindy and Linda. Forgive me if I've forgotten any one. These are the people who make you want to stay. The location is convenient to shopping, the Capitol, great local restaurants that offer some fabulous food, and is pedestrian friendly. I believe the staff made me feel like I was at home. They even gave me a birthday gift. Thank you all

• Stayed September 2013
Thank you so much for your fabulous review, I couldn't have agreed more and what perfect timing we just rolled out a new incentive program for our team to earn points when their name is listed in a review for good service! I gave away a lot of points for your review. Thanks again, and we look forward to seeing you when you return to Sacramento.

Cape Canaveral, Florida
Reviewed October 6, 2013

Great room with full amenities. Hotel is close to shopping, dining, and fun. Staff was polite and helpful. All in all a wonderful experience. I would definitely recommend. Wish I could have had the continental breakfast. I hear it is out of this world.

1 Thank Airpez
Los Angeles, California, United States
Reviewed October 4, 2013

I spent nearly 7 months traveling to and from Sacramento for work and this was my hotel of choice. I've stayed at other hotels in the immediate area (Hyatt and Sheraton) in the past, but this place was my favorite. A large part of that was the staff...they were amazing! They were always super professional and accommodating. The front desk manager, Marisa V., was very friendly and made my travels to Sacramento enjoyable! The rooms were nice, very modern, with good fixtures and appliances. And unlike other Residence Inns, there is room service from the excellent restaurant downstairs. The next time I'm in Sac, this is where I will stay!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank Kenny C
Vancouver, Washington
Reviewed October 3, 2013

Our firm always looks to stay at this property when we can. Extremely professional and attentive staff from front desk to housekeeping. Special recognition to Virgie at the front desk who always looks after our special needs and greets me by name without fail. The location is best if you're downtown/J street/convention center and easily to walk to most government buildings.

Room Tip: Ask for quiet room on upper floors
4 Thank Brian R