“Nice room and that's about it”

Residence Inn Sacramento Downtown at Capitol Park
Ranked #1 of 82 Hotels in Sacramento
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed October 18, 2013

We had a 2 night stay and the room was very nice, clean and comfortable. The air conditioner was pretty darn loud but necessary to have on with Sacramento temps in the summer. Food in this neighborhood is close to non existence after 10pm unless you're willing to drive or just need a snack from the onsite store. We did find a great pizza place who would deliver to the hotel (Pizza Rock). We could see some girl tossing her cookies on the street below, we guess because there is a lot of drinking options, but no food to soak it up!

The hotel's FireSide lounge was really loud and the female bartender forgot our drinks! When my husband finally got her attention, she said she would only charge us for one drink, took our money and never came back with the change. I guess she assumed she should get a 2 $ tip. Rude and the drinks were just mediocre.

Free breakfast was not worth it. Eggs tasted like FISH? So did the Casaba Mellon! Only thing good was the pastries and toast. Went out to breakfast elsewhere the 2nd morning so we could actually have a meal. My biggest gripe however is with my Marriott Elite status, we were not even offered free Wifi and when I asked for a late check out, they wanted $75! $75 for an hour is ridiculous and I thought my "status" provided me a late check out. Normally I would have pre-cleaned the room before I left but not this time. I will not go back to this Marriott and I definitely won't recommend it either.

Room Tip: 2 bedroom suite, Capital Park view was very nice
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank hookedonred

Reviewed October 17, 2013

I was in Sacramento on a business trip for 1 night and this is where my company chose to have us stay. Residence Inn has everything I could want in a hotel and I just wish I would have had more time to enjoy it. My room was immaculate, with state of the art fixtures and décor,and a beautiful flat screen that rolls out right in front of a big comfortable King Size bed. There were plenty of channel selections, current movies and interactive games to choose from. The bathroom was fully stocked and the kitchenette has a huge refrigerator, full stove and plenty of cabinet space (of course you might expect this from a Residence Inn, but the quality of everything was quite impressive). I immediately wanted to stay for a week upon entering the room.

My co-workers and I went out to a highly recommended local resteraunt, which was walking distance from the hotel. I must say I was much more impressed with Sacramento's nightlife than I expected to be and this Residence Inn is right in the thick of the scene. After a fantastic meal, unfortunately we had to return to the hotel as we had an early business meeting. I was able to wake up early and take advantage of the workout room, which also had state of the art machines, and afterwards hit the Jacuzzi. After enjoying that experience, I showered & went to breakfast, and I have to say if this was not the BEST complimentary breakfast spread I've ever had at a hotel, it certainly is close. My biggest regret was checking out after such an enjoyable experience and I HIGHLY recommend Residence Inn for anyone planning to stay in Downtown Sacramento for ANY period of time.

1  Thank Anson J
Reviewed October 15, 2013 via mobile

Wow! I stayed at the Residence Inn for two months. The staff was amazing. I would like to thank Virginia, Tim, Adriana, Marisa, Esperanza, Dominique, Maria, Emma, Margarita, Cesar, Toby, Cindy and Linda. Forgive me if I've forgotten any one. These are the people who make you want to stay. The location is convenient to shopping, the Capitol, great local restaurants that offer some fabulous food, and is pedestrian friendly. I believe the staff made me feel like I was at home. They even gave me a birthday gift. Thank you all

• Stayed: September 2013
smoranvi, General Manager at Residence Inn Sacramento Downtown at Capitol Park, responded to this reviewResponded October 30, 2013

Thank you so much for your fabulous review, I couldn't have agreed more and what perfect timing we just rolled out a new incentive program for our team to earn points when their name is listed in a review for good service! I gave away a lot of points for your review. Thanks again, and we look forward to seeing you when you return to Sacramento.

Shelly Moranville

Reviewed October 6, 2013

Great room with full amenities. Hotel is close to shopping, dining, and fun. Staff was polite and helpful. All in all a wonderful experience. I would definitely recommend. Wish I could have had the continental breakfast. I hear it is out of this world.

1  Thank Airpez
Reviewed October 4, 2013

I spent nearly 7 months traveling to and from Sacramento for work and this was my hotel of choice. I've stayed at other hotels in the immediate area (Hyatt and Sheraton) in the past, but this place was my favorite. A large part of that was the staff...they were amazing! They were always super professional and accommodating. The front desk manager, Marisa V., was very friendly and made my travels to Sacramento enjoyable! The rooms were nice, very modern, with good fixtures and appliances. And unlike other Residence Inns, there is room service from the excellent restaurant downstairs. The next time I'm in Sac, this is where I will stay!

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank Kenny C
Reviewed October 3, 2013

Our firm always looks to stay at this property when we can. Extremely professional and attentive staff from front desk to housekeeping. Special recognition to Virgie at the front desk who always looks after our special needs and greets me by name without fail. The location is best if you're downtown/J street/convention center and easily to walk to most government buildings.

Room Tip: Ask for quiet room on upper floors
4  Thank Brian R
Reviewed October 1, 2013

Always stay here when government rate is available. Professional, super friendly and helpful staff especially Virgie Swan, front desk and Sean at the bar/restaurant. Location is centrally located- close to state offices and great restaurants and across the Capitol Park. Rooms are very clean, comfortable, has sitting room, and full kitchen. Free breakfast but paid parking.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled solo