“Just Average”

Ranked #37 of 81 Hotels in Sacramento
WDC
“Just Average”
Reviewed March 2, 2014

So – there’s nothing wrong or overtly bad about this place but it’s just an average hotel, nothing fancy or noteworthy. The staff are friendly and it’s conveniently located by the freeway. However, there’s nothing around the hotel other than the other hotels – Fairfield Inn & a Marriott Courtyard. Rooms are small but cozy. Fitness center could use some work. The two treadmills, elliptical, and sitting bike are fine but it would be nice if there were some weights or even a universal. Breakfast is fine for a freebie but I’ve had better – then again I’ve had worse. All in all - comfortable stay but nothing out of the ordinary.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled on business
AartiRam, General Manager at TownePlace Suites Sacramento Cal Expo, responded to this review, March 5, 2014
Thank you for taking the time out and sharing your experience with the TownePlace Suites Sacramento Cal Expo. We take great pride in ensuring our guest's satisfaction. Unfortunately, we did not meet your expectations. Our goal is to address your concerns so that we can ensure you have an exceptional experience on your next visit.
You're a valued customer; everything we do is amined at providing you with an excellent hotel experience. We would like to regain your trust and hope to serve you again in the future. If I may be of assistance, please don't hesistate to contact me.

Aarti Ram

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (26)
Sacramento, CA
Reviewed February 18, 2014

Rude person at check in, I was booked for a 2 night stay. The hotel signage is terrible, very hard to find it is so small & almost hidden with parking being even worse. No restaurant on site either. Room A/C Heating unit under the window on full blast, (reminded me of cheap 1950-1960 motels) which I later found out was to mask the odor of urine that made the old flat pillows reek. No blanket on the bed, filthy carpets, fridge smelt like fish, one bed had black stains on the bottom sheet the other bed appeared to have clean sheets, bedside phone did not work & clock kept making a loud horrble electronic arching sound which kept me up all night along with the freezing room & smell. Called down to the desk to complain only to be told they would let the manager know in the morning would not upgrade or move me just kept saying she would notify the manager in the morning. In the morning I went to the front desk to tell them I would not be staying another night & was checking out. At that point they acted as though the problems were something they were not aware of & not too convincingly either. They offered to upgrade & move me which was too little too late. They did offer a 10% discount which I immediately refused & said they had to do better or I would challenge the charges. In the end they took off about 50% of the room charge which they should refunded me the full amount. I would never ever stay there again nor would I suggest it to anyone.

Room Tip: Avoid this hotel
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled solo
AartiRam, General Manager at TownePlace Suites Sacramento Cal Expo, responded to this review, February 19, 2014
Thank you for taking the time out and sharing your experience with the TownePlace Suites Sacramento Cal Expo. I apologize that your recent stay was not satisfactory and appreciate your feedback.

You’re a valued customer; everything we do is aimed at providing you with an excellent hotel experience. Please be assured that we are taking immediate corrective steps to avoid such problems in the future.
Fresno, California
Reviewed February 7, 2014 via mobile

Hotel going through renovations. Elevator out of order. Very clean. Air did not work in room. Spoke with management. Never fixed. Stayed there 2 nights. Will not stay there again . Should have adjusted price of room. So hot for 2 nights in room

• Stayed February 2014
Sacramento, California
Reviewed February 2, 2014 via mobile

My wife and I stayed 3 nights because we were having work done on our house. The hotel is currently being remodeled, but that didn't affect our stay.

The room was nice, the train noise others mentioned was minimal (it didn't interrupt our sleep) and we enjoyed having an in-room refrigerator and place to cook. And the staff was super friendly. The wifi was super slow, so we stopped using it. Plus they had DirectTV.

Parking in front of the hotel is packed, but we were able to find other spots in the lot off to the side of the hotel.

Overall, we'd definitely come back!

Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Fred M
Atlanta, GA
Reviewed January 21, 2014

I had no trouble here, good location, didn't hear anyone around me, although I don't know if I had any neighbors. This hotel stands out because it's the first I've seen with DirectTV with a real remote and lots of channels. No need to constantly channel surf not knowing what channel is what. Breakfast was standard fare, very good. Gym is decent, with dumbbells up to 20lbs.
Service was very good. I'd go back next time I'm in Sacramento.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled on business
2 Thank mjd50
Troy, Montana
Reviewed January 13, 2014

We were exhibiting at Cal Expo and this hotel is the best that we have found in the area over the years. For the show price of $114 a night, it was decent, but I would not pay much more.
Check in was excellent and our preference for a quiet room had been understood. Our room was a great use of space - if someone is a person of size, they may want to request one of the handicapped rooms. I am a size ten and just fit in the bathroom. Every inch of space is used.
The room was very clean - one day no coffee was left and another day, the half full shampoo and conditioner were taken and not replaced. These are VERY minor issues to say the least.
The breakfast was a gluten carb fest each day with hard boiled eggs and scrambled eggs (during the week only). The coffee was good and the breakfast area was well maintained by very friendly staff.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled on business
Vancouver, Canada
Reviewed December 18, 2013

It's a decent hotel. My room was clean and everything neat and tidy. It's a more economical but simpler version of a Residence Inn. Staff were friendly. Breakfast was acceptable - waffles, eggs, ... Hotel is built with thin walls and I could hear the guy next door snoring. Not much management can do about that but the owners could have spent a few more $ sound proofing the rooms when it was built.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled on business