“Glad I stopped in!”

Malabar American Cooking
Ranked #39 of 1,994 Restaurants in Sacramento
Cuisines: American, Bar, Pub
Good for: Special occasions, Kids, Business meetings, Large groups, Bar scene, Families with children
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Lunch, Full Bar, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Television, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Dining style: Casual Dining
Cross street: Interstate 5
Description: Malabar American Cooking serves classic American dishes with an innovative twist. A Sacramento, CA favorite, you'll find something for everyone here!
Stockton
“Glad I stopped in!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 4, 2013

We were returning from the airport and stopped in for a late lunch. I was not impressed with the outside of the building, the plants in the pots were dead - never a good sign for me. But it was January so I let that pass. The inside is comfortable although they looked like they tried to get seating out of every square inch of the place. The booths are nice, but tight and there is seating literally 12" from the front door. The food was very good and served hot and all at the same time which may be a small thing for some, but I think it shows a little class. The service was excellent and I would give it another visit if in the area. A little pricey but I think worth it.

• Visited January 2013

Sacramento, California
“Neighborhood Surprise”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 28, 2012

A gift certificate for Christmas brought us to Malabar. We had always passed this restaurant by: the architecture was definitely not inviting, the location is among fast food joints, and the big screen TVs inside turned us off. But, for a "free" meal, we gave it a try. Glad we did.

Our typical way to explore a new restaurant is to order a variety of appetizers and have them all brought at once so we can share and compare: the ginger-chili butter sauce for the nicely done crispy fried calamari was outstanding; the Smoky Bacon Clam Chowder was a title we just could not resist and it was delicious; the Shrimp Cocktail Puerto Vallarta was very nicely done with avocado, cilantro and lime in a spicy tomato sauce; and her Pina Colada was refreshingly good.

Even though we were reaching satiation, I've never ever been able to resist a Reuben Sandwich on a menu, so I caved and Malabar pulled it off to perfection. Bravo, Malabar!! Could not finish it, so we had it at home for lunch the next day. It was a pleasant reminder.

All in all, Malabar was a positive experience and we will return for the fun food items. However, we were put off by Malabar's definition of a table. To us, when we ask to sit at a table for two, we expect there to be at least two chairs with legs. Not so Malabar. A table for two at Malabar has one chair with legs and a booth seat. Good grief. We were told there were only 1-2 stand alone tables with chairs in the whole restaurant.

Lastly, thanks to our fine server who guided us through Malabar's history and menu. You and the food will bring us back.

• Visited December 2012
Chico
“Great salads; close to airport”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 25, 2012 via mobile

The salads at this restaurant are terrific. I ordered the chicken piccata, which was very tasty. My wife ordered a steak that had a slightly smoky flavor. The meal priced reasonably and the restaurant had a nice decor.

Woodland, California
“Comfy place to meet and eat”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 6, 2012

This was my second visit to Malabar, this time for lunch (first time for supper) and it did not disappoint. We both had tortilla soup and caeser salad, pretty basic fare, but both quiet good and reasonably priced. The dining room is separate from the bar area that has lots of TVs with sports going on (no sound). Pretty good service, clean, good for families.

Visited November 2012
Nashua, New Hampshire
“great salads and drinks”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 1, 2012

my husband and I each got a salad; he had Cobb and I had a seafood salad, which was like a Cobb, really, but instead of chicken it had cold scallops, bay shrimp (the tiny ones) and several prawns. Everything was very fresh, the dressings fresh. I had a Mojito to drink; not sure what hubby had. Service was friendly and very fast, although we were there quite early, around 5pm.

Visited September 2012