“Good Food- Terrible Customer Service”
Review of Bistro 33 Midtown - CLOSED

No photo provided
Got a photo?
Add it.
Bistro 33 Midtown
Cuisines: American
California
“Good Food- Terrible Customer Service”
Reviewed November 15, 2009

Love the food and happy hour, but I agree with other reviewers, Costumer service is terrible. A group of friends and I went there for happy hour and after a while of having fun and laughter, we were told to keep it down twice!! They were very rude about the way they asked us to be quiet. (yes!! at a bar with loud music). We were then asked to leave the table because they had dinner and we had to get up and go to the bar. We were a group of 13 people and our bill was over $200.00. I guess they are not into customer service. We've never been back since.

A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook
“The food is so great. I...”
Reviewed July 6, 2008

The food is so great. I wish it wasn't a club-like atmosphere because the loud music makes my head hurt.

Thank A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook
sacraemento
“lack in customer service”
Reviewed June 23, 2008

let me start of with a lounge and full bar with lack of customer sevrice. Not enough training with staff on how to handle customers. focus should be on serving the customers and taking their orders with a smile on their face. if one does not like working there and take their job seriouslly then that individual should work else where. food needs to be served on a timely manner, prices of drinks should be the same for each customer. order the same drinks but from two different bartender, price should stay the same but i guess it's not the case for this bar. another issue is the restroom, way to small and not enough. but main thing is workers are rude and it shows. Keep it up and this bussiness will suffer, nobody wants to spend money at a place they feel they are not welcome.

A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook
“Trendy, but not for me.”
Reviewed May 25, 2008

Trendy, but not for me.

Thank A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook
Sacramento CA
“Serious Service Issues...”
Reviewed March 28, 2008

The location is great, the decor is definitely a standout in Midtown, the food is usually pretty good, and they do have great prices during their evening "Appy Hour"s, but the service is more what you'd expect in a diner than in a hip Midtown bistro: varying degrees of indifferent and incompetent, depending on the server, time of day, and how many of them are hanging out together on break.

Don't get me wrong--I want this restaurant to do well, and am generally a big fan of Fred Haines' cuisine. I just wish the staff at 33 took their jobs a bit more seriously and did his food justice.

Some tips to the staff, should they read this:
--Don't ask diners to relocate after they've been seated just because that table is set and theirs isn't.
--Don't charge more after a drink has been ordered because "there's ice in it so we added more alcohol". The price on the menu should be the price on the bill.
--Over-easy eggs are lightly cooked on top--they are meant to be runny, not chalky or cakey.
--If the food isn't going to be ready in time for guests to make their show at the Community Center, they probably don't want to take it in a doggie bag! And no one wants to see waitstaff grovel to a nearby table for their forgiveness while they're getting bad service at the same time!
--Despite the hipness quotient and youthfulness of the patrons, please don't assume that it's ok to slack off. We, too, generally like to have our food all come out at about the same time, don't like to be totally ignored, and don't like you to "vent" to us.

Sadly, I feel like the Haines brothers might have spread themselves a bit too thin with new restaurants, as 5 out of the last 6 times we've eaten at Riverside, Bistro 33 (Midtown) and the 33rd Street Bistro (East Sac), and the new Suzie Burger, we've had fairly fundamental issues with our meals/experience.

So if you're not looking to impress out of town friends with the best in Sac, OR just don't care about the service but still want a great meal for an ok price (the menu isn't really cheap, after all, though prices are generally fair), OR just want to "see and be seen" for a chic drink, then try 33. They are in a great location, and they do have extended hours offering breakfast and late night dining/drinks, as well as outdoor dining.