WINNER WONDERLAND

Ranked #5 of 81 Hotels in Sacramento
Washington, D.C.
“One of the best”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 5, 2010

In all of the Courtyard Marriott's that I've stayed in, this one ranks near the top in comfort, service, and style. Located near the interchange of Business 80 and CA-160, this hotel provides very easy access to downtown/mid-town and the eastern suburbs. It is a very short drive to the Arden Fair mall and associated restaurants.

This Courtyard is built in the new mold - modern lobby with large restaurant area plus bar. The rooms are stylish and well thought out for the modern business traveler - lots of plugs on the nightstands and desk allow you to keep your mobile phone/alarm clock near you at night while charging. Rooms have a flat screen television that seems to actually receive real HD channels. Bathroom is clean with a standard set of soaps/shampoos.

Breakfast is included with the room and it is far superior to most other hotel's breakfasts. A good selection of eggs, waffles, cereals, danishes, and yogurts. And the eggs are actually real - not those egg patties that you might in a Residence Inn or Springhill Suites. Service comes with a smile, and my coffee mug stays full. The bar area is typically hopping in the evening with lots of business travelers mingling and chatting.

The gym at this Courtyard seems slightly larger than usual and has your typical assortment of treadmills, bikes, and weights.

Concerns about the noise are valid - especially the train which passes less than a quarter of a mile away. The first thing I do when I enter a room is turn the HVAC fan to "On", which keeps the fan spinning continuously rather than cycle on and off. It creates enough white noise to drown out most sounds from outside the room and is easy to fall asleep to. On my last visit I noticed the ear plugs on the desk, which is an amenity I think management should rethink - it sends the message "Yes we know our hotel is noisy and it's your problem". The main sources of noise are the aforementioned train and the sound of slamming doors, which the hotel should investigate fixing with softer door retracters or different materials on the frame to stop the metal-on-metal sound. Personally, with the fan spinning I have never had a problem falling asleep, and I'm a fairly light sleeper.

• Stayed February 2010, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (84)
Charlotte, NC
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 3, 2010

The first night I wanted to pull my hair out because the elevator made a huge loud banging noise everytime it went up or down. Seriously LOUD! And I wasn't even in a room by the elevator! I called the front desk after an hour of trying to fall asleep and they said that many other customers had complained of this in the past weeks, but that they haven't had a chance to get the elevator fixed yet. I was very upset (because I had work the next day, and I don't know about you, but I'm unable to function without sleep) and they weren't able to move me to the quiet "wing" until the next night. They told me they put earplugs in each room, and to try those! They didn't work- that's how loud it was! I was in the wing by the fitness room, I strongly advise against staying in that wing. That evening I thoroughly enjoyed the hotel bar, which was abuzz with lots of business people and the bartender was incredibly friendly (also I was anticipating another loud night and though a couple drinks might help). However, the second night they moved me to the wing that (as your facing the front desk) is on your left. My second night stay was very nice. The wait staff for continental breakfast was awesome too (you get free continental breakfast, but can also order things like omelettes and eggs benedict for a charge).

• Stayed February 2010, traveled on business
Tiburon, CA
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 19, 2010

A very pleasant, friendly atmosphere, clean, spacious room, very nice breakfast.
Excellent value!

• Stayed December 2009, traveled as a couple
Bend, Oregon
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 29, 2009

I chose this hotel for it's location near Cal Expo, as well as the Marriott reputation. My wife had a problem at check-in; the lady at the front desk was trying to apply an extra $13 fee that was not on our confirmation. It took a visit from the manager in the back to resolve it.

The room was large and nicely furnished; however, the bathroom was smaller, and there was no mini-refrigerator as promised on the Marriott website. The biggest issue was noise; you could constantly hear the other rooms' doors open and shut, as well as some other hallway, room and air conditioning noise. There is also must be a railroad nearby, as we heard a train pass by several times during the day and night. I am a heavy sleeper, and all of the above noise bothered me. It certainly bothered my wife.

There is plenty of parking, and the location near Cal Expo and I-80 is great. However, if I were to return to the area, I'd try another place.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled on business
1 Thank OregonBeer
Oakland, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 7, 2009

We were planning a trip to the California State Fair and wanted to stay near the fair. This hotel is walking distance to Cal Expo. The registration clerk was extremely friendly and helpful. The cafe team was the same. We got an incredible package for the fair that included tickets to the fair and a full breakfast (not just the typical fair of bagels and cream cheese - they served omelets, sausages, bacon, pastries, waffles, orange juice, yogurt, oatmeal, cold cereals, fruit...). Free parking. New hotel. Big rooms (we had two queens - not sure what the other rooms were like). Nice big bathroom. Generous with towels. Rooms were spotless. Nicely decorated - looked more high end than you'd expect for a Courtyard. If you are sightseeing downtown, this is probably not the best location. But if you're going to any event at Cal Expo, I highly recommend this hotel. If we go to the State Fair next year, we'll definitely stay here again.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Walnutcreekgirl
Cupertino, CA
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 21, 2009

This Courtyard is very clean and has a very high end feel to it. I considered the rate very reasonable. Service staff very friendly. There is no free breakfast. But, after staying at 'free breakfast' places with very tight, cramped eating areas and constantly saying 'excuse me, I'm sorry' to everyone, it was almost a relief to eat in an open and spacious eating area.

I did not face the railroad the other reviewers mentioned, but I chose this location because was in a quiet location away the city.

I really liked this place.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled solo
Napa, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 20, 2009

I stayed one night while on return home from a business trip. This is one of the nicer Courtyard hotels I have stayed in! Everything was fresh, clean, and in good working condition.
The on-site restaurant had one of the better meals I have had in a while, whether at a hotel or not!
The rooms were quiet (even though mine faced the freeway. I never heard any trains as one reviewer noted). The room was clean, in good working condition. Only slight complaint was that internet connection was slow in the room...whether wired or wireless.
I would certainly return, especially if given the same rate!

• Stayed June 2009, traveled on business