“A smile to start the day”

Courtyard Sacramento Cal Expo
Ranked #10 of 82 Hotels in Sacramento
Reviewed July 2, 2014

The room and check in was great, but what is extraordinary is the upbeat can-do attitude and big smile of Sabah who is there to make sure you get exactly what you need to start the day with coffee and breakfast. It has been consistent over 4 visits in the last few months and exceptional.

Stayed: July 2014, traveled on business

Reviewed July 1, 2014

The first thing to know is that this is a complex with two Marriott hotels right next to each other without signs on the buidling identifying one from the other. When you come in the entrance, it is not at all clear there are two separate Marriott properties, let alone which is which. Later, I did see some small signs in the parking lot but for someone coming here the first time, it is not at all clear. I actually stayed at the Towne Place but that is not listed in Trip Advisor so am writing this review under Courtyard. I assume they are pretty much the same. I have since looked them up under the Marriott web site and that suggests the same. When you see slightly different signs, be sure to check which place you are going into.

Both Courtyard and Towne Place are small-apartment type hotels for long stay travelers. The Courtyard seems oriented more oriented to business travelers while Towne Place seems more oriented for families. I did notice this (later) as the people going to the "other" building were more professionally dressed. I am more of a business type and, had i known the issues, probably would have stayed at the Courtyard. For one thing, less loud babies at breakfast!

I think they give good value for the money but I am giving four stars for the hotels of their kind. Of course they are not four star hotels.

The unit I stayed in was small but expertly designed to have a place for almost everything you can think of. Dishes, utensils and basic appliances are provided, as well as dishwashing supplies.

The staff are most friendly. The check-in experience was generally good although there was a bit of an interrogation to see if I was bringing in extra people. This is the first time I have been subjected to such an interrogation at any hotel or motel. I am probably too forgiving--it didn't bother me at the time, but later it rankled me. The manager had let me know, before the interrogation, he was giving me a discount on the rate because they were not full, and he was quite friendly--those things probably made me want to convince him I was a good person and distracted me from the fact that his interrogation was improper.

The biggest "pros" are that the staff is super friendly, the unit (although be warned: very small) is nice with all the basic necessities, and the building was quiet. The location is near the "Cal Expo" section of Sacramento, which was fine.

The biggest "cons" were (1) the parking spots are very narrow. I have a new car and wanted to protect it from someone flinging their car door open. But I didn't want to park far away from the office where it might be a temptation to thieves. The manager couldn't suggest a solution. I did the best I could and, luckily, no harm done. (2) The bathroom fan was extremely noisy. This was disruptive. Had I stayed there longer, I would have moved units if the problem could not be fixed. Be sure to check the room before you accept the assignment. (3) The Interrogation to see if I was going to bring in an extra person or more was ultimately annoying and completely improper. (4) Breakfast was nothing to write home about but that's the way it is at all these type places.

Room Tip: Look at the room and turn on the fans and a/c so you can hear noise levels before accepting the room...
1  Thank John W
Reviewed June 30, 2014

My wife and I stayed 4 nights at this hotel and everyone was so nice and helpful. The first night we got there we were in room 254 and a party was going on at the pool which was keeping us and our son awake. I called and asked for a new room and after a few minutes they moved us to the suite room 369, much quieter. They were very apologetic for the noise and we probably could have stayed, but were worried about the noise the next night, so moved anyway. We had no other issues the rest of the time. Moe and Kevin at the front desk were excellent and extremely helpful. I hate that I did not get the name of the girl in the Bistro, but she was very helpful in getting us bowls and spoons to heat up our toddlers mac & cheese (which is all he will eat at the moment)! The Bistro and bar are very handy, the location is nice and easy to get around from and the rooms are clean and comfortable. They do have laundry which was important for us traveling with a toddler. I will stay here next time I travel to Sacramento.

Room Tip: Room 369 is nice, but we also stayed in room 274 and it was a bit smaller but just as nice.
  • Stayed: June 2014, traveled with family
Reviewed June 25, 2014

It's always a pleasure to attend my monthly Accounting and Financial Women's Alliance meeting at the Courtyard Sacramento Cal Expo Hotel. Debra takes excellent care of us. Always going above and beyond to make our meeting wonderful. Joanna Johnson

Reviewed June 24, 2014 via mobile

The suites in this hotel are bumped out so there are no rooms next to suite just above and below. This hotel main Clientele is business travelers but there was some other families as well. There is restaurant in hotel which was so convenient and the staff was wonderful.

• Stayed: June 2014
Reviewed June 20, 2014

This was my first time staying at this hotel. Check in was wonderful, Moe made me feel like I was a regular. The rooms are clean, quiet, updated. Love the fact that this Courtyard still has a refrigerator and a 4 cup coffee maker (most have deleted these items from their rooms) Cory in the bar asked my name the first night and never forgot it, she knew everyone's name, what they drank and made everyone feel like a friend. I am going to make this the hotel to stay at when I return to the area every other month for work.

Reviewed June 18, 2014

While attending an event at Cal Expo, I chose this hotel based on its proximity to Cal Expo. I was delighted to discover one of the most service oriented, excellently staffed hotels that I have stayed at recently Moe at the front desk bent over backward to accommodate our special needs. And, the room was clean, quiet and spacious. I would recommend this hotel to anyone -- even if your business is not at the Expo.

• Stayed: June 2014, traveled with friends