“Very nice sushi”

Cuisines: Sushi, Japanese
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed February 11, 2013

I had gone to "the kitchen" (in Sacramento), and the chef Noah Zonca had recommended Kru.
He had given me the name of the owner/head chef. So with that information, we called and tried to see if we could hit him up.
When we got there, we must have timed it wrong, and no, he wasn't there afterall.
We sat at the bar (there were 4 of us). The sushi chef who we spoke to was very friendly. We had no issues with service either, though it was pretty empty when we went. One of those with us was a sushi chef from another restaurant in Sacramento. He seemed to think this place was pretty good as well.

The presentation of the food was great and the sashimi very fresh. The sashimi assortment price was very reasonable and included pickled wasabi (the real thing, not some powdered
horse radish). I really enjoyed this mushroom salad that they had as well.
They ended up doing a free dessert for us which we really appreciated.
The only issue we had was this off smell in the restaurant at the time. It might have just been an unlucky day for us, but that was part of our personal experience. Think dirty rags but pretty prevalent.
I'm giving it a 4 star. I'm sure the next time the smell shouldn't be there as no other reviewer seemed to notice it.
I didn't love the decor, but this is one of those places where I think you go for the food.

1  Thank Ann C
There are newer reviews for kru

Reviewed February 6, 2013

The fresh wasabi is definitely a highlight, it is the only sushi restaurant that I have encountered that has it. Their sashimi is second to none. Large pieces and the flavor is absolutely to die for. I would recommend Kru to any sushi lover. You wont find better in Sacramento area.

Reviewed January 22, 2013

Got to say I love their veggie roll - Eden, but we never get refills on our water, have to ask more than 3 times for soy sauce ( the bottle was empty on 2 visits) and 3 times we'ev been the rice has been crunchy- either undercooked or dried out. gross. most people love this place so we end up there a few times a year and are always disappointed. :0( i don't know if we are just unlucky but it you can't get your rice3 down at a sushi place, nothing else is going to fly.

Reviewed November 5, 2012

I have eaten at Kru a couple of times in the last couple of years and I always find the sushi very well prepared and tasty

1  Thank BAMonroe
Reviewed August 22, 2012

I don't eat sushi, but love a good beef teriyaki plate...but NOT HERE! The covered my food in fish shavings. Although I know that trying to be posh is in, I wasn't able to eat my very expensive lunch with fish all over it.