“Just ok!”

Cuisines: Indian, Nepali
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed April 5, 2014

Had a buffet lunch here recently. While there was an adequate selection, the food was just ok and somewhat cold and lacking in taste, even though I was there early for lunch. Don't think I will be back.

Reviewed November 16, 2013

We've gone to Kathmandu many, many times over the years. The restaurant is casual, small and warm, located right on Broadway near 19th Street. Among the many Asian restaurants on Broadway, Kathmandu stands out for its tasty food - Indian/Nepalese staples like bhindis and tikka masalas, with great thalis that include small servings of vegetable curry, dal, chutney, rice and naan.

However, the other night the service was the worst we've ever experienced. Maybe they were short waiters, but we waited 15 minutes before we were even asked about drinks or appetizers. The bar man was out for the evening, so we went with wine and naan, but they all came at the same time as the entrees. Trying to catch the water for some khee dessert and the bill was just as challenging, so it was a much more lengthy dinner than we had planned.

So... food 4, service 2... 3 average. We'll be back (we always are) but not for awhile!

1  Thank Chris A
Reviewed September 14, 2013

What is it about food being served cold? It does not hit the stomach right specially if you are hungry. Again, I asked for spicy but got nothing. So when I asked again and this time I ordered a dal makhani, oh yes! I got their attention. It was hot!

I had the vegetable sampler and my friend tried the other grilled food. It has meat so I don't remember the name.

Overall, the experience was good. Just remember to serve the food hot or at the least warm.

The atmosphere was nice as well.

Reviewed May 7, 2013

We went there for dinner on a recent trip, and tried a few dishes that we weren't familiar with and enjoyed them!

We eat a lot of Indian food, but have only been to one other restaurant with Nepalese food - so we decided to try a couple of standards and also try a couple of dishes that were new to us. We are vegetarian, so only had veggie appetizers and entrees. We were much bigger fans of the entrees. We generally order pakoras for appetizers, but we went for the veggie sampler to try some new things. I'm not a fan of dumplings - but they were stuffed with delicious veggies and spices. The pakoras were a bit over-battered for us, but the flavor was great. The samosas were great.

For the entrees - everything we had was delicious! We asked for medium spiciness, and it was perfect.

Indian restaurants often are either elegant, or dive-like in appearance. This was right in-between. It was casual, but the decor was very nice - a great mural along one wall, nice, tasteful art, but an open, casual setting.

Overall, this was a winner.

Reviewed March 14, 2013

Love this restaurant for great Indian. Wait staff is super friendly. Just be careful, they will actually make your food spicy if you ask for it!

1  Thank traveller2332