“Best food-related experience I've ever had”
Review of The Kitchen

The Kitchen
Reserve with OpenTable
The Kitchen is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #17 of 1,999 Restaurants in Sacramento
Cuisines: American, Contemporary
Good for: Romantic, Local cuisine, Special occasions
Dining options: Dinner, Accepts American Express, Accepts Discover, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Free Off-Street Parking, Full Bar, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Dining style: Fine Dining
Cross street: Howe Ave.
Transit: Need a driver? Call our receptionist and we will be happy to arrange a town car for you. Please call a minimum of 24 hours before your reservation.
Description: The Kitchen, a Selland Family Restaurant, serves a five-course prix fixe demonstration dinner menu based on a monthly seasonal framework that features the best and freshest ingredients available on a daily basis, mostly procured locally and regionally. Dinner service also includes an interactive intermission featuring chefs’ tasting stations, as well as a finale of fresh herb tea service and artisan coffee served with Dessert. The Kitchen Restaurant has earned every imaginable local and regional award along with an impressive list of national accolades, including the AAA Five Diamond Award five years running, a nod as a semi-finalist for the James Beard “Outstanding Restaurant” Award, the highest Zagat ratings, and honors from Wine Spectator and Wine Enthusiast, as well as inclusion in the Yelp Top 100 and the Open Table Top 100.
Sacramento, California
“Best food-related experience I've ever had”
Reviewed April 3, 2014

When making reservations def ask to be seated at the counter so you are closer to the action. Good craft beers too. At about $200/pp it's def for special occasions only, but I will return!

• Visited April 2014
3 Thank George P

common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Didn't know food could taste this good!”
Reviewed March 4, 2014

I've eaten at the Kitchen a few times and every time I am amazed at how fabulous it is. It's always awhile between visits because it's so hard to get a reservation!! If you are lucky enough to have it be a night that Randall, the owner, is there, it's a particular treat. It's truly an experience to have him talk about the food and where it was purchased, how it will be prepared and usually a little anecdote about it. You can walk around and watch the food being prepared up close and have seconds of each course as you wish. Truly a unique grand experience!

• Visited April 2013
1 Thank Lane P
California
“Great dining experience”
Reviewed March 4, 2014

Our family had dinner there in December, it was expensive but well worth it. Food was outstanding - the demonstration style dining is very unique. Try to get a place on the counter to get a close up view of the cooking.

• Visited December 2013
1 Thank AHMMYEE
Northern CA
“Two items to note at an already well reviewed restaurant”
Reviewed February 24, 2014

I could, of course, go on and on about the show, the service, the food, the experience, but I think that's been done numerous times before. Instead, I want to note one positive and one negative from our last visit.

First the positive: The intermission has changed for the better. Instead of all 50 guests crammed outside on the patio trying to get to the sushi tables, food stations have been set up all around the restaurant. This is far superior to the old method, and we all enjoyed the relaxed atmosphere and ability to taste all the food without the cattle crush from before. Much improved.

The negative: Yes, I knew going in that the corkage fee was 50 dollars a bottle. Fifty dollars. Fifty. And even though that seems outrageous, we were bringing some good wine and felt it was worth it. However, when we received the bill, the 20% tip that is automatically added, includes the corkage fee. So that $50 a bottle fee, is really $60. That seems like price gouging to me.

Like most others have commented, the meal was fantastic and worth the cost. One of the best places to eat in the area.

• Visited February 2014
9 Thank RickAndFamily
“Fantastic Experience”
Reviewed February 17, 2014

My boyfriend decided to surprise me with a late birthday dinner here, we met 2 of our friends in advanced and headed over. We brought our own wine under the assumption of the $30 corkage fee, turns out the fee was $50 so we decided to just order bottles of wine from the menu. Before dinner starts, they encourage you to walk around the whole dining area as well as kitchen. In the kitchen, you can ask the chefs questions on what they are prepping and check out all of the equipment used. The whole dinner experience was spot on; the service was great and the food even better. If you found a dish particularly enjoyable, you were encouraged to order another helping, which we did. I would say one of my favorite parts was the fresh tea brewed individually to order. It was the most amazing teas I have ever had! I can’t wait to be able to go back, this was definitely a treat! Our bill for a table of four was about $1k, this also being because we ordered 4 bottles of wine. I highly recommend a night here. (I added pictures, I apologize in advance, these are camera phone pics)

• Visited October 2013