“Simply THE Best!”
Review of The Kitchen

The Kitchen
Reserve with OpenTable
The Kitchen is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #12 of 2,060 Restaurants in Sacramento
Cuisines: American, Contemporary
Good for: Romantic, Local cuisine, Special occasions
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Reservations
Dining style: Fine Dining
Cross street: Howe Ave.
Transit: Need a driver? Call our receptionist and we will be happy to arrange a town car for you. Please call a minimum of 24 hours before your reservation.
Description: The Kitchen, a Selland Family Restaurant, serves a five-course prix fixe demonstration dinner menu based on a monthly seasonal framework that features the best and freshest ingredients available on a daily basis, mostly procured locally and regionally. Dinner service also includes an interactive intermission featuring chefs’ tasting stations, as well as a finale of fresh herb tea service and artisan coffee served with Dessert. The Kitchen Restaurant has earned every imaginable local and regional award along with an impressive list of national accolades, including the AAA Five Diamond Award five years running, a nod as a semi-finalist for the James Beard “Outstanding Restaurant” Award, the highest Zagat ratings, and honors from Wine Spectator and Wine Enthusiast, as well as inclusion in the Yelp Top 100 and the Open Table Top 100.
Reviewed January 7, 2014

The excellant culinary experience one will receive at The Kitchen is one to be treasured. Simply THE best culinary experience I have ever had.

This is my second time!

Reviewed December 27, 2013

We've eaten at The Kitchen on six different occasions in the last 3 years and each has been a wonderful occasion. We've sat at the counter where you get an intimate look at the food preparation as well as surrounding tables. However, the food doesn't seem to be as tasty as it once was. I would still recommend The Kitchen because it remains one of the most unique dining experiences available.

Reviewed December 3, 2013 via mobile

We went to dinner at The Kitchen after a weeklong food and drink trip throughout San Francisco and Napa. I started to think I'd be fooded out by the time we got to go here, but boy was I wrong. We sat at the counter which I would recommend to everyone and got a front row seat to the show. I loved how all the food to be used was laid out in front of us and the large fish and lobsters were walked around for everyone to see. The chef explained where everything came from as well as everything he was doing which really enjoyable to watch and listen to. Several other reviews mention there not being enough sushi/oysters provided during the intermission, but that was not the case at all with many people going back for seconds. Everything prepared was absolutely delicious and the option of having a second serving was pretty cool. All the staff were wonderful and extremely accommodating. Counting down the days until I can go back!!!

Reviewed December 1, 2013

I have been to The Kitchen a half of dozen times. Top quality from start to finish. Arrive around 6:30p.m. and get ready for a fun long night. This establishment is still my personal favorite to dine in the country. Enjoy!!!

Reviewed October 25, 2013

THE best dining experience EVER!!!
Celebrated my wife's birthday here at THE KITCHEN.
The person that called to confirm my reservation was really nice and helpful.
I asked if they do anything for birthday and she said she would help me set that up and make it memorable. Well all I can say is she went above and beyond to make my wife's bday special. We were set up right in front and in the very middle of the bar. We had a clear front row view of everything going on in the kitchen.
The food was delicious.
I have never even wanted to eat caviar and I tried it for the first time here. So good!
There was more than enough food for everyone. At intermission they have 3 stations of food.
Raw tuna, sushi at one station, skewers at another and soft shelled shrimp at the 3rd.
Never even knew there was soft shelled shrimp. Everything tasting delicious. Only down side is when they run out of the food served at the stations they don't put out more. They said numerous times that if there is a dish you love, "ask for seconds". Maybe you could do that for the intermission dishes. I didn't ask because I was trying to save room for the rest of the ACTS.
The atmosphere was great. Everybody interested in watching the chiefs at work. They did a great job by the way. People interacting with each other and the chefs. You can even walk back there at anytime and stand right next to the chefs as they are preparing or cooking. Although it can get a little crowded at times.
I feel the price of the dinner was fine. My only gripe is the wine and alcohol is overpriced. I think for the price the tastings of the alcohol vendor should be included as part of the dinner. Overall, my wife and I were extremely pleased with everything from start to finish. Exceptional! Job well done by all the employees. Kudos to the lady I spoke with on the phone that confirmed my reservation and assisted me in creating the best birthday experience my wife has ever had.

1  Thank Jeff K