“Worth the price of admission” 5 of 5 stars
Review of The Kitchen

The Kitchen
Reserve with OpenTable
The Kitchen is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #13 of 1,944 Restaurants in Sacramento
Cuisines: American, Contemporary
Good for: Business meetings, Local cuisine, Special occasions, Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Accepts American Express, Accepts Discover, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Free Off-Street Parking, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Dining style: Fine Dining
Cross street: Howe Ave.
Transit: Need a driver? Call our receptionist and we will be happy to arrange a town car for you. Please call a minimum of 24 hours before your reservation.
Description: The Kitchen, a Selland Family Restaurant, serves a five-course prix fixe demonstration dinner menu based on a monthly seasonal framework that features the best and freshest ingredients available on a daily basis, mostly procured locally and regionally. Dinner service also includes an interactive intermission featuring chefs’ tasting stations, as well as a finale of fresh herb tea service and artisan coffee served with Dessert. The Kitchen Restaurant has earned every imaginable local and regional award along with an impressive list of national accolades, including the AAA Five Diamond Award five years running, a nod as a semi-finalist for the James Beard “Outstanding Restaurant” Award, the highest Zagat ratings, and honors from Wine Spectator and Wine Enthusiast, as well as inclusion in the Yelp Top 100 and the Open Table Top 100.
Winnipeg, Canada
“Worth the price of admission”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 11, 2013

Cost is $125 per person with a 20% mandatory gratuity. Drinks are extra. (if you want seconds or thirds, that is not, you just have to ask)
They are exceptionally considerate when it comes to allergies and things you do not like, looking at it more of a challenge then a bother in accommodating you.
This is a show, which is why I love it. The service I receive has been exemplary every time. They make you feel welcome as if you're a guest in their home. I tip 20% often anyway, but this service is better then most.

Most of the times most people do not take advantage of all the kitchen offers. The clients I observed are often exceptionally polite and mostly watch without actively participating which they do tell you, you are welcome to do. I admit I'm one of them!
I have gone in a group of 3 each time. I prefer sitting at the counter where you can see the action and would recommend it especially for couples. The tables just seem too far back, though I've never actually sat there... I just like being up close.
There are 2 small complaints I do have.
As someone else said, the sushi (intermezzo) offering doesn't always seem to be enough.
The other issue is when calling to making bookings or having questions. They do not get back very quickly or at all. I've been there at least 3 times now, and each time I've had minor issues with getting some questions answered.
There have been 2 highlights that seem consistent. The sushi portion where they serve real wasabi that they grate fresh and pickled wasabi (where I am from this is not common at all, though I have found more restaurants in California that have pickled wasabi). The other is their white gloved tea service where they use fresh herbs which they cut from the plant.

Even with the issues though, I still give it 5 stars (I just hope they read this and perhaps try to fix them and make this place perfect). For the price, I think you get your moneys worth. I've eaten at places like Joel Robuchon in Las Vegas, but this is my favorite(sorry Joel, I still love your dessert and cheese tray).

• Visited September 2012
1 Thank Ann C

California
“Phenomenal!!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 6, 2013 via mobile

From the moment we entered the building until we left, what a blast. The food was phenomenal, the staff was excellent and the experience was great. If you go sit at the counter it gives you a great opportunity to chat with the staff and interact with them on a more personal level. Yes it's expensive but in my opinion it was worth every penny. The food is fresh and the wine excellent! A once in a lifetime experience. Would go every month if I could afford it since they change the menu monthly!

1 Thank Wojo28
CA
“Felt dissapointed by the experience”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 2, 2013

We had been trying for months to get reservations at The Kitchen and were happy that at last we got reservations and were even able to make it for four as we had friends to join us. Our friends have attended the dinner before and always talked about it, but it was our first time. Let me mention that we really love food. Living in Napa we explore every weekend new and different restaurants and we were looking forward to this one of a kind concept of food, show and some "food education". The biggest problem we had with the evening was Chef Randall Selland and his presentation. We expected much more information on the food, the menu and the philosophy behind his restaurant. His presentation felt like a rant about Vegetarians, Liberals and lots of other not food related subjects. I dont go to a restaurant at this level and have to listen to his personal opinions about all kinds of things. We felt really put off by his presentation. His staff does a wonderful job to provide some information, but if we would not had our friends with us who had attended this dinner a few times before, we would not have known that you can re-request menu items you really liked, as it was never brought up in the introduction. Also in the Intermission the sushi was gone so fast there were only little pieces left, not something you want to have happen when you pay over $600 for two people. We did not feel that the price/quality ratio is appropriate as we had better food before and paid much less. We are glad we did it but would not repeat a visit.

• Visited January 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars
    • 3 of 5 stars
    • 4 of 5 stars
    • 4 of 5 stars
5 Thank Vacation_addicted
Plano, Texas
“Probably the best meal that I have ever had”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 9, 2013

Each month there is a set menu at a fixed price. The dinner consists of six ot seven courses with an intermetzzo of sushi and pickled vegetables. All dietary restrictions are accomodated whether glutin free, vegetarian, etc. including the fact that I did want a pouched egg on the appitizer. The evening (about four hours) is a gastronomic delight. Each course was excellent. For me, the highlight was the swordfish which I can only describe as "amazing". The chef and his extensive staff all encourage the guests to explore the kitchen, walk in refrigerator and wine celler and take pictures. It is expensive but the experience is one that we talk about with anyone that will listen. It is that good.

Visited November 2012
sacramento
“Wow!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 3, 2013

This dining experience will definitely stand out above all others. It is pricey but worth the experience! And it is quite an experience! You can tour the kitchen and really participate in the preparation. Or just sit back while the the chef prepares your meal, giving details about the ingredients.

Visited February 2012