“Great Variety of Flavors and Textures”
Review of Lemon Grass

Lemon Grass
Ranked #86 of 2,034 Restaurants in Sacramento
Cuisines: Asian, Thai, Vietnamese
Good for: Romantic, Business meetings, Large groups
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed July 19, 2013

Please note: We got confused, thinking that we were going to a different Lemon Grass restaurant, owned by the same people. The picture on Tripadvisor, showing the counter and wall menus above, is for the other, more casual (and less expensive) location on Howe Avenue, now closed.
That being said, we enjoyed our meal very much at the more formal Lemon Grass on Munroe Street. Pricing was spendy, with most meals at $17 or more. We saved a little by ordering one of the appetizers, minty thai chicken, which the server correctly advised was enough for a meal. We also enjoyed thai noodles with prawns, which was generously portioned with at least eight huge prawns.
Both dishes were characterized by, not only layers of flavor, but of texture as well, which made for a very enjoyable dining experience. in the noodles with prawns dish we tasted mint, garlic, and of course lemon grass, as well as other flavors in a fresh-from-the-garden crunchiness. Is it a noodle bowl, or a salad? It's hard to tell, in a good way.
The decor could be described as understated spa chic. In addition to the two main dining rooms (one with a bar), there's a private meeting room, and a neglected patio that could be used for outdoor seating.
We would return to this restaurant if and when we have an occassion for a splurge in Sacramento.

Reviewed May 2, 2013

I have been going to this restaurant for a very long time and it has never let me down. The food is always fresh and creative and beautifully presented and oh, so good. One of my favorites is the salmon filet with jasmine rice and sautéd vegetables. When I need comfort food I get the catfish in a clay pot. The sauce is to die for. I also never pass on dessert, always going for the Saigon by Night which is basically an affagato, but so much better than any I've had at other restaurants.

1  Thank travelzo
Reviewed April 8, 2013

Lemon Grass has been a favorite of mine since they opened twenty-some years ago. It's easy to take for granted the wonderful flavors and beautiful presentation that is consistently produced at this lovely and reasonably priced restaurant. Last Friday, as we were raving about a couple of our favorite dishes, I realized that I had never taken the time to review this great place. We always start with either fresh salad rolls or crispy spring rolls, available in both meat and vegetarian versions, served with lettuce, basil and mint leaves and a tangy fish sauce. For an entree I enjoyed the Salmon Sanuk -- perfectly grilled to the point being "just" cooked, and sauced with mild thai basil and soy flavors. This was accompanied by a generous serving of fresh steamed vegetables and light fried jasmine rice. The Shaking Beef dish that my husband ordered is truly one of the best ways possible to eat beef. They start with cubes of really tender high quality beef marinated in pineapple juice and oyster sauce. This is "shaken" over the grill and is served with chunks of fresh pineapple on top of a salad of watercress. These sweet and fruity flavors bring out the best of the beef, and compliment the watercress greens. We shared a Saigon-by-Night espresso and ice cream for dessert. As always, we were not only satisfied with the terrific food, but were also pleased with the timely and friendly service and the reasonable prices. Lemon Grass is a Sacramento gem.

2  Thank Elisa Z
Reviewed February 14, 2013

Our group of four had a very nice lunch at Lemon Grass and all of the food was truly delicious.

The Salad Rolls were better than any I have had anywhere. The peanut sauce that comes with them is super. We all tasted the Thai Green Curry, the Bangkok Beef, the Spicy Chicken and the Vegetable Stir Fry on Rice Noodles.

I would order any of them again but the Bangkok Beef was a real standout. I am not big on eating beef but this is the way to have it - in limited amount mixed with assorted vegetables, cut in thin, very tender slices that melt in your mouth.

I have been to this restaurant maybe 5 times in 8 years (it is not close to my house) and the quality remains consistently high.

Reviewed January 16, 2013

We have eaten at Lemon Grass many times and have tried most of the menu items and have consistently admired the culinary talents displayed by Mai Pham, the owner and inspiration of this fine restaurant. The flavors are a Southeast fusion of flavors, mostly Vietnamese and Thai. This past Monday we had the salad rolls, consisting of pork, shrimp and lemongrass, wrapped in rice paper with a peanut and red pepper dipping sauce, incredible as usual. We have previously had the chicken satay, spring rolls, and lemongrass soup with chicken and mushrooms, all of which were excellent. We enjoyed the beef brochettes over steamed vegetables with either jasmine or brown rice. The brochetteswere generous chunks of high quality beef, perfectly prepared medium rare, and to die for. We have also enjoyed the pad Thai, and shaking beef prepared with fresh pineapple. Fresh ahi is served with two different sauces, one soy based the other mustard based. Don't miss the lamb chops available only on weekends. Saigon-by-night (ice cream with expresso), ginger ice cream or chocolate gelato make formexcellent desserts. The knock on Lemon Grass is that the dishes are not traditional Vietnamese and that the dishes have been Westernized for American tastes, but my response is, so what? The quality is fabulous, and I can always get traditional Vietnamese or Thai food elsewhere, and Lemon Grass has its own uniqueness. They have a nice cozy room for small parties up to 12. Hopefully we will be back many times to enjoy this wonderful restaurant.

2  Thank Sid Y