“Broadway Sacramento's Lackluster Season (Again)”

California Musical Theatre
Ranked #31 of 184 things to do in Sacramento
Reviewed January 7, 2014

Two shows into the 2013-2014 season and I am still waiting for a quality show with quality performances - where actors are not just going through the motions with stilted dialogue. Sacramento lacks the caché to attract the dynamic musicals that larger metropolitan regions do, and it shows.
Additionally, I cannot remember the last time I attended a performance - and I have been a subscriber for many years - where I could actually HEAR anything intelligible, and I sit in orchestra seats.

All reviews
"hunchback of notre dame"
in 3 reviews
"staged"
"california"
in 4 reviews

Reviewed November 1, 2013

The Music Circus is a somewhat unique experience. Being a smaller venue with seating all around the stage. This means all seats are good. All of the "performers" I have seen here have done a really good job. The actors go up & downs the aisles so it feels like a more interactive experience. My only downside is that because there is a small round stage in the center the ability to use props is extremely limited. Some plays are fine without the use of elaborate props and staging (example: Brigadoon was awesome) However, for others the props are part of the experience of the show (example: Phantom of the Opera, Cats, etc) without these props the play looses some of the effect and ambience. You can be assured to see a good performance but be wary of which play you see here. The Community Center may be a better choice.

Reviewed September 25, 2013

The shows feature talent from Broadway and Los Angeles. They are always fabulous. This last season had the best talent, direction and choreography. They also had Roz Ryan and Lenny Wolpe.

1  Thank weyesowl
Reviewed August 27, 2013

Great venue for theatre. Every show we have seen has been top notch. Great sound system. Every seat a winner. If I lived in Sacto, I would definitely be a season ticket holder. First rate actors.

1  Thank simon s
See more reviews
Reviewed August 12, 2013

My wife and I have had the pleasure of seeing three different musicals here this past season: The Wizard of OZ, Showboat and The King and I.

We're new to the area so we weren't sure what to expect for the price but we weren't disappointed. The Wells Fargo Theatre was clean, comfortable and there wasn't a bad seat in the house. The stage rotates so everyone gets a great experience. They use a live orchestra and all the presentations have been professional and top notch.