“Our favorite Mexican restaurant!”

El Novillero Restaurant
Ranked #93 of 1,994 Restaurants in Sacramento
Cuisines: Mexican
Good for: Dining on a budget, Families with children, Large groups, Kids, Business meetings
sacramento, ca
“Our favorite Mexican restaurant!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 23, 2013

We have been dining at this restaurant for over 30 years. The quality and large portions of the dishes has always been consistent. My favorite dishes are the "carnitas" special dinners and my husband loves their "chile colorado". We have been to several other mexican restaurants in town and always end up coming back here.

• Visited October 2012

Carmichael, California
“Great Mexican food”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 14, 2013

I have been going to El Novillero for 40 years. It started as a little one table-juke Box dump into one of Sacramento's best liked places to eat great food. Every dish I have tried is excellent. The people working there are top notch and the owners have given a lot back to to city. Wonderful place.

• Visited January 2013
Salem, Oregon
“Excellent food but service a bit subpar”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 3, 2013

We have been visiting this incredible restaurant for over 20 years, starting when we lived in Sacramento. Now that we live in Oregon, we only get to visit on annual trips to California. This time my wife and daughter had shredded beef chimichangas, my son had the cheese quesadilla and I had the chile verde. As usual, the food was outstanding with huge portions of fresh food. But, a first for us was the fact that our server seemed to be behind the whole meal. He came back twice and each time noted that I was out of soda and said he would get me a refill but never brought one. Then, we had to ask for a take home container twice before getting one and then, the waiter seemed to disappear while we waited for our ticket. After 5 minutes we tired of waiting and went to the counter to pay. Outstanding food but the server needs a bit of training on how to manage his tables.

• Visited December 2012
“Traditional food yes; quality near none.”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 18, 2012

I have gotten higher quality food for a much better price from taco stands.

Very traditional food. Very yummy; when it not soggy.

Some of the wait staff could learn some manners and be a bit kinder.

Management is very polite.

Elk Grove, California
“Best in town.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 12, 2012

This place never disappoints. The food is fantastic and you will always get excellent service. Try the flour chips. They are to die for.

• Visited December 2012