“Joe's disappointing Crab Shack”
Review of Joe's Crab Shack

Joe's Crab Shack
Ranked #35 of 2,060 Restaurants in Sacramento
Cuisines: Seafood
Good for: Families with children
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed February 15, 2013

Dinners beware of huge delays.
Went in short notice expecting delayed seating...2hr later, we got seated (4 adults, 2 kids (11yr)). Slow service, mix ups on the menu selections and lack of table visit made for an even much longer dinning disaster. Way over rated, looked forward to a much more pleasant, satisfying experience. Went for the steam pots....a pretty good selection; portions small for the price.
Servers dancing every 30minutes were cool and made the evening tolerable. Deserts were mixed up too; peach cobbler should be peach cobbler, not apple crumble with peach ice cream.
We won’t be back anytime soon.

Reviewed February 4, 2013

We were a bit disapointed with this restaurant. My wife had the crab stuffed shrimp and was not very fond of it. I had the cheesy chicken and it was very good, in fact she liked my dish better. It was a busy saturday and service was a bit slow. Overall it has a very festive atmoshpere. Great location on the River in Old Town Sacramento. I am not sure we will be going back but then again I can't eat the shrimp and crab so why go. There seemed to be a bunch of Birthdays being celebrated, maybe that is there specialty.

Reviewed January 30, 2013

When I go to Joe's, I always go for the steampots. They remind me of my days growing up on the east coast eating steamed crabs fresh from the Chesapeake Bay. The seafood is very good and nicely seasoned.

One must be in the mood for the atmosphere. It's fun with lots of music (which can be too loud at times for us old folks) but I enjoyed watching the staff dance around. Our server was excellent! She really took care of us and she was fun to talk to. I liked the text message service they used that told me how long the wait was and when our table was ready.

For those that haven't been and love seafood, it's worth the trip.

Reviewed January 26, 2013 via mobile

For a chain, Joe's Crab Shack serves up some good Crab!!!

This is not fancy dining. This is like a nicer version of Dick's Last Resort that specializes in boiled or steamed seafood.

First, stay away from anything other than the crab pots or buckets. The other food is definitely chain quality frozen fare.

The crabs is where Joe's shines, as they should. I like to get the Dungeness bucket because these crabs are so meaty and you get a great return for your effort. The buckets or pots also come with fresh corn on the cob and sausage which compliments the crabs well.

It's also fun and goofy and you don't have to worry about wing quiet or keeping your elbows off the table.

This restaurant is also in Old Town Sacto so it's a walk away from other attractions.

Enjoy!

Reviewed January 23, 2013

It would be great if Sacramento would have more restaurants on the river - fish shacks- where you could get a really good fish sandwich. I came here with family and our grandson ordered a crab bucket and it was very expensive. I call $24 or so expensive when you can go to crab feeds and have all you can eat for less money. There was so little crab in the legs that if there wasn't a sausage in the pot he would have left hungry. Not many healthy sides for the vegan in the crowd. Overall, a big bill and just so-so food. But, kudos for being on the river! I would go again for the atmosphere and the river view.