“Nice family place” 3 of 5 bubbles

Good for: Kids, Families with children, Large groups, Dining on a budget
Sacramento, California
“Nice family place”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 18, 2012

Dinners are family style. Food is fairly predictable. The special fried chicken with garlic is quite good. They'll serve you more food than you can eat!

Visited November 2011

Las Vegas, Nevada
“Birthday party here every year”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 16, 2011

Food Is awesome and they always treat us very well. Can't wait to go again.

• Visited September 2011
Davis, California
“Still good”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 1, 2009

My parents and I occasionally dined at the Espanol in the late 1950s and the 60s when it was still at the original location in what is now Old Sac. My dad had dined there regularly as a young bachelor working on the Delta King and Delta Queen paddlewheelers in the 1930s. I had later dined at the Folsom Blvd restaurant, but it had been literally decades since I had eaten there. I remembered it as a place for sumptuous family style Italian fare. On the occasion of a buddy's birthday, I treated him to dinner at the Espanol and we were not disappointed. We both had chicken cacciatore and it was as tasty and tender as I remembered it from years ago. They serve it now over polenta instead of rice, which would have been my preference, but the polenta was OK. The minestrone soup was very good. The diced string beans were kind of mushy and overcooked and looked like they came out of a can, but that was only a minor negative. The dinner also came with a small salad, penne pasta, plenty of bread and butter and a scoop of ice cream for dessert. They stuck a candle in my friend's scoop and the wait staff and I serenaded him with "Happy Birthday."

Sacramento, California
“The greatest soup you'll find in a restaurant.”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 19, 2009

This is a nice relaxed place to enjoy a hearty meal.

The soup is by far the best you will find. It is so flavorful, so delicious. Just a slight hint of spice on the back of your tongue which makes it my favorite. It is definately NOT canned soup like many places use now. There is always a fight at our table when the soup bowl gets low. (Its family style by the way)

Now, for their meals. I have to saw, their sauces are not the best. I dont know if I would say they are canned, but it isnt what my Grandma taught me to make either. Its slightly salty, with not too much depth of flavor. They ravioli are good, and the baked penne w/ sausage is quite good also.

Their fried chicken w/ tons of garlic is really good if you are not going to be in close quarters with anyone for a couple days. Comes with delicious french fries, and some pasta.

The meals at Espanol are hearty. Good portions and great prices. You wont leave hungry. Meal include soup, salad, and ice cream.

The service is outstanding, they have real waitresses not pimple faced kids waiting on tables. It is for this reason authentic. It feels like your aunt or your cousin is serving you dinner. They are welcoming and friendly like a friend or family member.

While I agree one of the owners is very nice and welcoming. (I believe its two older woman that own the place) The other woman just has such a sour face and is not at all friendly. The last several times we visited she was so strange. On Mother's Day she was very short with my family, almost lecturing some of us. WEIRD !

In closing; TRY IT! You will like it. Its reasonable, good service, great portions, and good service.

2 Thank RevJoenathan
Colfax
“Great family style Italian”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 4, 2009

If you are expecting a chic, haute goumet experience, go elsewhere. If you want to feel like you're visiting the home of an Italian friend, this is a great place. It's got that down- home feel, massive portions and some of the best pesto around! My husband and I have coming here for years now. No matter how long it's been, the owner always recognizes us. We enjoy it.