“Good food but ill-tempered servers” 4 of 5 bubbles

Good for: Families with children
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Reservations, Seating, Takeout, Waitstaff
Reno, Nevada
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Good food but ill-tempered servers”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 27, 2013

On the way back to Reno from San Francisco me and my friends stopped at Famous Kabob, cause we heard so many good things about this restaurant. The food was simply delicious. But when we had enconter a very ill-tempered server. He was a middle eastern gentleman, I don't know his name. He went mad cause the way we were ordering seemed confusing to him. So he was pissed. Then he sent the expo to run our foods into our table. But at the end he showed up being very polite. However we tipped him good cause we were very pleased with the food.

• 4 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles

Phoenix, Arizona
“Call it Mediterranean, Call it Persian, Call it Good”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 7, 2013

When I was three my aunt dated an Iranian working on his Masters in Petrochemical Engineering at the University of Southern California. Hamid was the kindest person I'd ever met in my short life, taking an interest in my childish interests, bringing me interesting stuff to investigate with my childish curiosity, and generally respecting and listening to me when I spoke. When I met lots more Iranians/Persians in later life, I met them with an open mind and heart.

This is where family eats Mediterranean food in Sacramento. This is a formal restaurant. Think of yourself as being invited to the home of a well educated, successful sophisticated resident of Tehran like Hamid. Except this house has a Tanoor (brick oven) in the corner for baking Taftoon (Nan/bread).

One of my favorite hard to find beverages, Doogh, is served here. Yogurt and water, in this case flavored with mint, Doogh is delicious and refreshing on those torrid Sacramento August afternoons.

The salads are delicious, from the Shirazi to the various yogurt and vegetable based ones. You can't go wrong with any of the kebabs, but someone at our table always orders Ghormeh sabzee, a stew that's the test of a good Persian cook.

And so Hamid, wherever you may be, thank you for showing me the kindness of your people and opening my life to a wider perspective on humankind. I remember you often, especially when I sit down for a delicious Persian meal.

• Visited October 2012
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Carmichael, California
“One of Our Favorite Ethnic Restaurants”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 10, 2013 via mobile

Located in a small unimpressive strip mall in the North Area of Sacramento, Famous Kabob has been serving wonderful Persian food here for the past twenty years. With relations with Iran still strained, I think there is some reluctance for Americans to patronize a Persian restaurant, an attitude I've heard from some of my own friends, but we have to remember these are the folks who managed to get out and wanted to come to the U.S. In any case, the food is always a treat. Warm pita is served with fine cilantro, mint, other greens, cheese, onions, and sliced radishes. The hearty ash reshteh soup consists of a delightful combination of lentils, red beans, spinach, garlic, onions, sour cream, and noodles whose flavors have allowed to blend. The kabobs are either lamb, beef, chicken, or ground sirloin. I had the shishleek, which are lamb chops, best eaten medium rare, and delicious, served with roasted tomatoes, and Basmati rice, or with a half serving of the rice and a delicious tomato and cucumber salad. Yogurt based drinks and tea compliment the food. Baklava is a good dessert choice, different from the Greek variety, but still worthy. Most of the waiters are Persian and are very courteous and helpful. Dinner for two was around $50, and well worth it. We plan to keep coming back.

Sacramento, California
“total dissatisfaction”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 20, 2013

Having eaten Middle eastern cuisine from Dubai to Tehran,I was suprised that they can serve this slop.the kubideh was substandard and tasted like a Mc Donalds hamburger.the Horescht tasted like Campbels tomato soup without the sugar and the rice was dry and pieces stuck in my teeth,.rice is not supposed to do that...didnt have any saffron taste and I surmised that they use food coloring to put that yellow color on top,,,,

• 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank proconsul11
Clovis, California, United States
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“maggit rice terrible”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 6, 2013

it was the worst place ever. the staff was putting up blinds and changing curtains while customers had to go around them. tthis idiot had a ladder right in the walk way. 5 stars naaaah far from it. i ordered filet mignon and it wasnt close to it, oh maybe their definitions of that was something else,lol like dog food

1 Thank Joel C