“fun place”

Cuisines: Sushi, Japanese
Good for: Large groups
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed May 15, 2012

loved it. Food was delicious and service was quick. popular place in downtown sacramento.

Reviewed April 23, 2012

Excellent food and the service was great. We tried a variety of dishes off of their menu and it all tasted delicious. We had our kids with us and they loved the food as well, and it is not often that I can say that.

Reviewed January 19, 2012

One of our favorites to celebrate over lunch with colleagues. We made reservation for eight. The table, place setting, water bottles and menus were immaculately set for our arrival.

The restaurant is located at a street corner with large glass-windows and plenty of natural light. Although the restaurant were almost full, it was relatively calm. The space separation into three sections helped.

The service were friendly but a tad slow in the beginning; we waited about fifteen minutes for our orders to be taken. We had the Bento box combos, udon, and sushi. Presentations were crisp, combos were balanced, light, and delicious. Bill were timely with 18% gratuity included, and it came to $98 for the eight of us.

This remains one of our favorite places for lunch, and it's only four blocks from office.
We missed the previous restaurant Zen Torro which relocated to Davis. Zen Sushi is almost as good and we'll be back.

1  Thank drKSG
Reviewed December 27, 2011

Very fresh food, and some interesting creations - have to try the "Better than Sex" appetizer.

Reviewed August 19, 2011

I have dined at Zen on many occasions over the last several years and have always enjoyed the experience. They consistently have very fresh fish and can get quite creative in coming up with new rolls. Lou is my favorite chef there, he is always friendly and willing to help you make the best selections for your taste.
There are a lot of sushi restaurants in Sacramento, some very well known, think Mikuni's, but none can beat Zen overall in my opinion.
My only complaint is the remodel they recently completed. They took a great funky downtown eatery and made it in to some kind of chrome and glass palace. If I was walking by and did not know the place I would never go in, too chick for my tastes and that always raises red flags for me. I think, are they trying to cover up bad food with funky atmosphere? In this case though great food makes up for the lousy atmosphere.

1  Thank BabyBoomerNorCal