“Almost Chicago-style pizza”

Cuisines: Pizza
Good for: Large groups
Dining options: Lunch
Reviewed October 10, 2013 via mobile

I'm originally from Chicago so I jumped at the chance to visit Zelda's for a taste from home. While they were very good it wasn't quite the same (and no French fries :-)). I would definitely go again.

Reviewed October 1, 2013

I live in the DC area, but travel to Sacramento several times a year. One of my employees in Sacramento has always loved Zelda’s and knows the owner who moved from Chicago years ago. I happen to mention to one of my suppliers last year that I was traveling to Sacramento and he went to college in Sacramento in the early 80’s and highly recommended Zelda’s. So finally after travelling to Sacramento over the past 2-3 year, we managed to go to dinner at Zelda’s. The locals classify Zelda’s as a local institution for which the food is just part of the experience

Order ahead if you can, it takes 30-40+ minutes to cook the pizza. The pizza was flavorful and recommended. I really enjoyed the Spinoccoli pizza. I can eat a lot of food, and love pizza. I found the pizza to be very rich tasting and after 3 pieces I had enough. Don’t’ get me wrong, it tasted great, but was very filling.

Not sure I would say it’s the best pizza I’ve had, but definitely worth it if you want Chicago style pizza while in Sacramento.

Reviewed June 26, 2013

Wife and I went here last week. I'd been probably 15+ years ago. The pizza wasn't too deep dish. And the pie crust was a little disconcerting. That's probably why it's been 15+ years. Probably won't hurry back.

Reviewed April 8, 2013

Hooray! Zelda's (finally) takes plastic! With this newly-found info, husband and I ordered more than my paltry $25 cash-in-wallet allowed.

A fellow Yelper told me about their cheesy artichoke dip. At $6, you cannot go wrong. It is like a mini artichoke pizza with corn chips. Soooo good. Don't go ordering this thinking that you can snack on this while waiting (and waiting and waiting) for your pizza to come out. They arrive at almost the same time.

I really felt old when I calculated that I've been coming here for over 22 years. Egad! Not much has changed. Twinkling rainbow mini lights - check. Dark cavernous ambiance - check. Wooden cozy booths - check. Oh! One thing has changed (besides accepting credit cards), the service has definitely improved.

Reviewed March 18, 2013

This is by far the best deep dish pizza ever. It has a light crust almost like a pie. Not doughy at all. The sauce tasted more like a spaghetti sauce then pizza sauce. Very light and flavorful.The place is always packed and well worth the wait.