“Back to Familia”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Biba

Biba
Reserve with OpenTable
Biba is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #3 of 1,994 Restaurants in Sacramento
Cuisines: Italian
Good for: Large groups, Local cuisine, Romantic, Business meetings, Families with children, Special occasions
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Late Night, Full Bar, Parking Available, Private Dining, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Valet Parking, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Dining style: Fine Dining
Cross street: 28th & Capitol Avenue
Transit: Bus stops on Capitol Avenue in either direction just a few yards away.
Folsom, California, United States
“Back to Familia”
Reviewed January 23, 2013

We had not been to Biba in about a year and a half when a good friend invited my wife and I for a special celebration. We had been content to try new restaurants and some old haunts. We discovered once again that nothing tops authentic Italian like Biba. We all had the buffalo mozzarella and it was so creamy & delicious we nearly ordered more. I ordered the soup of the day, a minestrone with pasta and white beans and a delicate tomato base given away by it's "nose". My wife had the fish of the day, a cioppino-like dish featuring swordfish, clams, mussels and, again, a beautiful broth. Our friend is a vegetarian who frequents Biba because they are very accomodating in having high quality vegetarian offerings. I ordered the veal shanks which were among the very best I have ever eaten. The meat texture and the sauce were superb. We had a great Pinot Noir recommended by the server and finished the repast with a Creme Broulee containing boysenberrys. All superb!!

• Visited January 2013

Sacramento, CA
“Northern & Central Italy in Sacramento”
Reviewed January 12, 2013 via mobile

One of those very special restaurants you choose for special occasions, at least if you're not wealthy?! Biba is authentic (yes, she and her food). Simply put, you won't find better prepared and wonderful food in Milano, Florence or anywhere in Emilia-Romagna! Go with at least one other couple and discreetly "share". ;-)

orangevale CA
“One of those "special occasion" restaurants”
Reviewed December 31, 2012

What can I say? It's Biba! The food is always delicious and the best quality. I've never been disappointed.

Visited October 2012
Sacramento, California, United States
“Still Going Strong”
Reviewed December 23, 2012

It's been awhile since I've eaten at this landmark Sacramento restaurant. Does it still live up to its reputation of being the very best this town has to offer? I took a newbie there and we were not disappointed. At all. Like, if the entrees didn't run $18-$45 we'd go MUCH more often. The buffalo mozzarella appetizer with red peppers was creamy and sensuous, the romaine and pine nut salad with gorgonzola dressing was crisp and nuanced...we love their buttery garlic breadsticks, but saved enough room to thoroughly enjoy our butternut squash ravioli and lobster fettucine. The pasta was fresh, the squash not too sweet as some are, and the lobster tomato sauce had a nice little kick to it that definitely emphasized the shellfish flavor. My wine pairing was a lovely Barbera, and we finished off the meal by sharing the rich, decadent chocolate mousee with a decaf capuccino. Buon appetito indeed! Our Italian waiter was knowledgeable and attentive, even making sure all our shared items were on separate plates, and when I accidentally left my credit card there, the restaurant had called our two phone numbers within 10 minutes before safely locking it up in the safe. It's also a treat to be at Biba during Christmas time. Subtle Christmas decorations, a lovely piano bar, and Biba herself strolling around chatting with customers inside the cozy Tutor-style building on 28th and Capitol continue to make this restaurant the best in town.

• Visited December 2012
Berkeley, California
“Best restaurant in Sacramento!”
Reviewed December 17, 2012

I live in Berkeley, the 'foodie capital' of the world, but I frequently drive 1-1/2 hours each way on a Thursday or Friday so I can eat Biba's lasagna (lasagna is only served Thursday and Friday). The lasagna consists of many layers of house-made pasta, bolognese sauce, cheese.... and it literally floats off the plate and into your mouth.

Save a little room for dessert - the tiramisu is the best around.

Nice wine list, elegant room, full bar, friendly service. You can buy one of Biba's cookbooks, and if she is there (which is most days) she'll autograph it for you.

• Visited December 2012