“What a Delightful Experience”
Review of Moxie

Moxie
Ranked #63 of 2,004 Restaurants in Sacramento
Cuisines: American
Good for: Romantic, Special occasions, Local cuisine, Business meetings
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations
Sacramento, California
“What a Delightful Experience”
Reviewed April 30, 2014

Small-ish and off the beaten path of mid-town Sacramento, this classy restaurant is one worth investing some dinner-cash into. We have been to Moxie several times over the past four years or so, and have never been disappointed in the quality of the food or the amazing selection of nightly specials. And if they do not have what you might be looking for on the menu, just ask Adam, (owner and maitre d') after he rattles off the list of specials - listen carefully...he's fast! As if the menu items themselves are not enticing enough. Each time we have visited Moxie, I find something on the menu that I would like to try, but then comes the specials. Enough to make your head spin!
The staff is small but efficient and congenial. Adam has a wicked wit, but always makes you feel at ease. (He noticed my husband and me sharing bites of our dinner and remarked on our being "lovebirds," a nice recognition of our same-sex relationship.)
The wine selection is excellent, as is the bar menu.
The restaurant can get a bit noisy when it is full.

• Visited April 2014
1 Thank Bill M

Reno, Nevada
“This place is cool!”
Reviewed April 2, 2014

What a great restaurant! It was recommended to us by the hotel staff where we stayed in Sacramento. It is located in a residential district and the area is quaint. Nothing to look at from the outside but dark wood interior with lots of great old photos hanging on the walls. The selection of wines is excellent and not the typical stuff you find in the chains. They have a nice selection of smaller local CA wines. The menu is short and has something for everybody. The surprise is that there are more daily "specials" than regular menu items. My wife opted for lamb with a wonderful wine reduction and I chose pan seared scallops. Both were excellent and the presentation lovely. The price is a pleasant surprise as well with entrée prices lower than I would have guessed. An excellent place for a date or for "date night" with your significant other.

• Visited March 2014
Auburn, CA
“Quality Food & Great Service!”
Reviewed February 2, 2014

What a dining experience! Our group of six were pleasantly surprised by the amount of selections you can select from. And by the way, if you don't see what you want to eat, just ask the waiter. They have a small menu, but wait till the waiter starts telling you all about the specials. On the bottom of the menu it states that if you don't find what you would like to eat, just ask. If they have the ingredients in the kitchen, they will make it for you.

The lamb dinner was cooked to perfection. It came with mashed potatoes and some fresh vegetables. The portions are large.

Some of us had the scallops. Sweet tender scallops with a wonderful sauce. Loved the presentation of each of the meals.

The steak dinner was juicy, cooked to perfection. It was ordered medium and that's what was presented.

All of us enjoyed our meals and their wonderful selection of wines. We will be back.

• Visited February 2014
Elgin, SC
“Supeprb”
Reviewed January 25, 2014

Went for a birthday dinner and was not disappointed. The food (most important) was superb. If you ever go there try the salmon - best I ever ate. The service was excellent - very attentive, but not too much. More expensive than I would have liked but I guess you get what you pay for.

Visited December 2013
“Exciting flavors, imaginative presentation”
Reviewed January 22, 2014

My birthday dinner at Moxie was scrumptious. My husband and I shared the sea bass and an egglplant pomodoro dish. The fish was superb and the surrounding vegetables and potatoes were savory. The eggplant was soft, tender and tasty. However, for a pomodoro dish, there were no tomatoes - surprising. While trying to create a sleek and romantic feel, the restaurant was far too dark to see the menu or even feel comfortable. As I work in dim illumination all day, for me to feel that the restaurant was too dark means it really is way too dark for most people. I loved the food, was very happy when I left but somehow ended up with some gastric upset later that night. Rather surprising as everything seemed fresh and tasty.

• Visited January 2014