“What a find!”

Cuisines: American
Good for: Romantic, Local cuisine, Special occasions, Business meetings
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations
Reviewed September 14, 2013

Moxie's is one of those places you might pass by and not think twice about it if you've never been there. The signage outside is very unassuming but the food inside is amazing! The inside is small and the tables are a little close together but manageable. We had four in our group and I sat against the wall while my boyfriend sat next to me. I would liked a little more elbow row but it's a small price to pay for delicious food. The menu is small but they always have specials. The funny thing about the specials is the host knows every one of them and their garnishes without referring to any notes. We are not talking about one or two extra items either, it's usually 4-5 additional appetizers and 4-6 additional entrees. Also if you don't want a menu item they will cook whatever you want provided they have it or it's close by. If you want a surprise just tell the waiter to have the chef make you something - they have no problem doing that.
For our dinner we had 2 appetizers, 1 glass of wine, 4 ceasar salads and 4 entrees (halibut, swordfish, scollops and lamb) and the bill was just a shade over $200. A little pricey for everyday but well worth the price if you're looking for a great meal. I meant to take pictures but honestly the restaurant has low lighting and I didn't want to disturb other patrons with my flash.

Reviewed July 16, 2013

Our immediate family of eight adults celebrated my husbands birthday at Moxie. Each of us ordered from the specials, brilliant selection, and everyone was very pleased with the food. Service was great, owner Adam very attentive - The only little hick up was the waiters were running here and there to keep up - by the end of the evening I was exhausted. We will return soon.

Reviewed May 24, 2013

We read the reviews here and decided to give it a try. First, let me say that what we had was oustanding. A bit pricey but delicious. That being said, our waiter had a thick accent so it was really hard to understand what was on the verbal menu and what was available. We ordered what we could but it would have been helpful to have something in writing...Maybe a daily special list or something like that. Lastly, when the bill came it was handwritten and on what looked like a piece of butcher paper or ticker tape that had been torn off. Very informal. I hope they are being honest about their taxes. The state is in bad enough shape and if a tax auditor were to eat there, they could be in trouble.

1  Thank augustwest69
Reviewed May 8, 2013

Great personal service by the owners! Fantastic food. They cook anything for you if they can find it. My favorite for every special occasion. Would go more often if it were closer to my home.

1  Thank Valerie A
Reviewed April 8, 2013

Six of us were in Sacramento on vacation and we had the good fortune to have dinner at Moxie. From the time we opened the door to the hand shake from the owner Adam as we left the service was beyond excellent. The owner Adam was our waiter and he was very funny and entertaining. You felt as though you were part of his family. As other reviews have stated do not be mislead by the short menu, the specials are varied and many. But you must listen when they tell you the specials because there is a great variety of them. The food is generous and well presented. I asked Adam for a wine recommendation and his choice was outstanding. Desserts were really good, even though we were full from dinner. You must have dinner here if you live or visit Sacramento. I only wish they had one where I live, I would be there every week.