“Great Value from Hotwire”

Holiday Inn Express Sacramento Convention Center
Ranked #28 of 82 Hotels in Sacramento
Reviewed November 7, 2010

I was horrified to read poor review about this hotel. But I paid $52 per night using Hotwire and I thought the hotel was great. Complementary breakfast and newspaper were unheard of among my colleagues who stayed at Hyatt near by. They were envious. I traveled alone but they gave me a large room with a spacious bathroom. I'm not a fussy traveler and I was pretty busy with my conference obligation during the day, and I didn't drive. They maintained my room clean everyday and staff was friendly. Although I have to agree with some reviewers about the need for updating their furnishing. I thought I time traveled to the mid 80s. But $52 per night?! I have no regrets.

• Stayed: November 2010, traveled on business
HIEXSACCA, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Sacramento Convention Center, responded to this reviewResponded March 15, 2011

Thank you for taking the time to write a review for our Hotel on your recent experience. We are glad to not only see that you had a great experience but that your friends were envious of your stay with us and what we had to offer compared to their hotel. Being that we do have free wireless internet, free parking, and free breakfast along with other strong points we continue to strive to improve our Guests' Experience. We are always continuing to go above and beyond for our Guests and we are going to be making many more improvements over the upcoming months that our reoccurring Guests have already noticed and love. These changes are taking place throughout the entire hotel from Guest Rooms to our Fitness Room Facility that will continue make our Hotel not only the best location but the best place to stay in Downtown Sacramento. Please come back soon and see the many changes that are taking place.

General Manger

Reviewed October 24, 2010

Got this on Priceline, which will teach me to never bid 2.5* downtown Sacramento again. Unpleasant chemical smell (to cover up cigarette smoke?) in the hallway and my room on second floor. During my stay, someone knocked on my door. Before I could get up from my chair to answer they unlocked the door and attempted to enter. Fortunately I had the mechanical lever engaged and they could not get in. Totally unacceptable. Entire property surrounded by fence which makes you wonder about personal safety. Yuk. Stay away. You can do much better.

• Stayed: October 2010, traveled solo
2  Thank vagabond_biker

We are not too sure what chemical smell you are referring to or if another Guest was smoking in their room during your stay which is why you may have smelled someone’s smoke. We are a non-smoking hotel and a guest may have been smoking in another room near your room. I think our Housekeeping Staff might have sprayed some air freshener to eliminate the smell from a Guest that may have smoked in their room, I am unsure but will continue to investigate.

I apologize if someone may have mistaken your room with theirs but as indicated they were unable to get in. Each room is special keyed for special security not allowing two rooms to have the same key and I am sure they may have tried to get in thinking their key was not working on their room, but as indicated they could not. Again I am sorry for this inconvenience.

I also want to put your mind at ease about the iron fence surrounding out property that is in place to add extra security for our Hotel Guests and for looks. Our Hotel is in Downtown Sacramento which can be busy as any other Metropolitan City where this fence is in place to ensure we limit the access to our Parking Lot and Hotel to non-guests, once again with added security in mind for all our guests. I can think of numerous other hotels in downtown that do not have this added security feature and I know Guests that have mentioned they are very happy we do have it in place for them. I am sorry that the fence gave you a bad impression, but we have it in place for added security for all our Hotel Guests.

I hope you will give us another try and feel free to contact me if you have any further comments or suggestions as we are always looking to improve to serve our guests better. Be sure to come back and see the changes that we have been busy making with more to come very soon.

Reviewed October 5, 2010

In all my years of travel I have never once written a review on a hotel. However I am so disgusted by how I was treated at this place that I feel I MUST write this.

First of all, they state that they have complimentary parking. Yeah Sure!! It’s only free if you’re lucky enough to find a spot. Otherwise just go fend for yourself in the seedy neighborhood surrounding it. I came back my first night from a pre wedding event and drove around for a good 15 minutes, even in the near by other motel’s parking lot. However after hoping desperately to find a spot I found nothing at all. I felt so uncomfortable having to park far off in some random area (which I wasn’t event sure was a proper spot) and the entire night I was so worried my car was going to get towed by the time I woke up. Had there been some alternative paid parking I would have gladly done that for peace of mind, however there was none available.

I called down to the front desk and complained about this and was told not to worry about it. I told them that I didn’t want to stay anymore because I couldn’t keep doing this for the next few nights! I was going to be attending wedding festivities and I wanted to feel comfortable that I would be able to find some sort of parking upon my return. The guy at the front desk told me that Holiday Inn Express had a policy where I could cancel the remainder of my stay and get a full refund on the remaining days. I said great, this is exactly what I want to do.

The next morning I called down and asked the front desk numerous times if I could still do this. I told them I did not want to stay any longer and wanted to cancel my reservation completely. I was assured many times that this was fine as long as I left by a reasonable time.

At around noon I called down again to say that I was leaving early, and asked whether I should I come down to the main lobby to check out. I was told again that this was fine! Again I told then that I wanted to cancel my remaining 2 days completely and not get charged anything extra than the one night that I stayed. Again I was assured that was fine. Since I have never had a problem checking out over the phone before, I believed what I was told and left the hotel for another place where I had a much more comfortable stay.
Unfortunately the hotel did not stay true to their word and charged me anyway for the extra two days. When I tried repeatedly to get my money back ($200), they refused to do so. Jason Duemmell, the General Manager was extremely rude and kept saying that no one remembered saying that it was OK for me to leave early and that I should have come down to check out properly in person. He also said that initially since I had told them that a friend would be joining me the following day they took that as me not cancelling completely (even though I said 100 times I wanted to cancel completely). And then finally he said “oh you took too long to tell us.” So basically, which excuse is it? It hadn’t even been a month! And I told him I been moving and therefore unable to check my account, so was this all my fault? Am I supposed to check my credit card statements immediately every time I stay at a hotel or else pay up for nights I did not even stay!?

I don’t understand how difficult it is to comprehend a customer saying “please cancel my reservations completely! I do not want to stay here, nor do I want to get charged anything extra”. And had they told me when I asked to come down I would gladly have done so! I would never just walk out of a hotel early and not make sure I was checked out properly! Clearly if their staff that gave me the wrong advice they are not going to admit it, and as a result I the customer must suffer the consequence. I have always been so careful when it comes to these things, and now unfortunately it has gotten to the point where a hotel like this can completely deny any wrong doing on their part and instead blame their customer.
All I wanted was to have my money refunded as I had been assured numerous times that I would be fine. However they have completely shattered my trust. Furthermore, their corporate headquarters refused to do anything when I contacted them. All they would do is forward my complaint to Mr. Jason Duemmell, when clearly he was anything but helpful in my situation.

Anyway, even despite me wasting a total of $300 on this hotel I would still not recommend this dump of a Holiday Inn Express, especially if you plan to have a car while staying here. You will be so frustrated with their parking situation (which they told me I should have expected at such a location). Well you know what, I later stayed somewhere else for the remaining few nights and I was perfectly fine with their parking. And if it’s expected that there may not be parking, DON’T SAY YOU PROVIDE FREE PARKING!!

This hotel and their manager are so full of excuses, one after another! I have never had such a horrible experience at any other hotel, however after this experience I don’t feel I will ever be comfortable staying at such a place. Horrible horrible horrible experience!

• Stayed: June 2010, traveled solo
2  Thank angelJD
Reviewed September 24, 2010

Great location! The most helpful and friendliest staff we have encountered. We felt so at home that we extended our stay. The young ladies (and guys) at the front desk were very knowledgeable and helped us in every way possible and the server at the breakfast bar put smiles on our faces every morning. The hotel is within walking distance of the whole downtown/midtown area and some great restaurants also.It is a short drive to the parks on the river and also the state capital and convention center (you can actually walk there) A must when in Sacramento.

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled on business
HIEXSACCA, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Sacramento Convention Center, responded to this reviewResponded September 27, 2010

Thank you Guest from Burbank California for staying with us and for sharing your experience with others here on Trip Advisor. Our hotel is very pleased that you have experienced the Service Culture that not only our staff has been trained to provide, but that they pride themselves on delivering in every department every day. As always I will share this feedback along with every response we get with my staff to show them how great of a job they have done and how proud I am of them for delivering this experience for you. Thank you for staying with us and we hope to see you again.

Reviewed September 1, 2010

Okay. Went on Travelocity to try their new hidden name hotel pricing. What a delight this hotel was. First, the bad. It was in a completely surrounded wrought iron gated building on the corner of 16th &G. Not really ajacent to anything worth patronizing.That did make us a tad uncomfortable. Now for the good. Very clean non=smoking hotel. Friendly, helpful staff, large sized rooms with 3.5-4star amenities. Beds were very comfy and you had a choice of firm or soft pillows.Top quality.Only personnaly wish they had thicker comforters. A 3/4 sized fridge and microwave in room plus coffee maker, iron and blow dryer in bathroom. Wi-fi internet was available if desired. The winner of the trip was the delux continental breakfast. They served choice of milk, juice and coffee. Yogurt, 2 cereals, oatmeal, cinnamin rolls, bacon, muffins, hard boiled AND scrambled eggs, toast, bagels and what more could you want included in the price of your room? I would have paid full price just for the meal alone. Highly recommend this hotel for an affordable luxury stay.

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled with family

Thank you traveler fro your review on our hotel. Our hotel is always pleased to see positive comments about our guests' experiences while staying with us, as we consider this a part of our report card on how we are doing. This is also great for other potential guests to review first hand to see what we have to offer and changes that we have made. Our hotel is in Downtown Sacramento near the State Capital and Convention Center which may seem busy at times and that some guests are unaccustomed to staying in, but I assure you we make sure your safety is our first concern. Our staff strives to make sure you have a very positive stay from a Warm Welcome, Customer Service during your stay, Cleanliness, Safety, Breakfast, and a Warm Goodbye. Our hotel constantly looks for ways to improve and we are happy to see that our Guests have experienced an all around great stay with us. On behalf of my staff, we thank you for choosing to stay with us and hope to see you again.

Reviewed July 22, 2010

So I paid for this hotel through Hotwire--t only paying $65. The saying "You get what you pay for" applies here. The location of the hotel is right down the street from the Governor's Mansion and within walking distance from the capitol building; however, it is right across the street from an abandoned motel and around the corner from a pretty scary area- scary from the standpoint that there were two men loitering who were gawking at my 15 year old daughter.

The front desk was pleasant and even allowed us to check in early. The room itself was adequate. The size was average and the decor was too. We did have one pillow that had a small blood stain on it which made me inspect the rest of the linens. The interior corridors are very narrow and have a dismal feel to them.

Breakfast was good, and the breakfast room was clean and spacious. The only reason I can't recommend this hotel to a friend is that it is in a less than safe location.

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled with family
1  Thank LittleBingo

Thank you traveler for your review on our hotel and we are deeply saddened to hear that you did not have a great experience when staying at our Hotel while staying with us, as we consider this a part of our report card on how we are doing. We do apologize that we are in a busy downtown metropolitan area that has its share of undesirables much like any other metro area, but we make sure your safety is always our first concern. Our staff knows that our guest experience is very important and they try to deliver a Warm Welcome, Customer Service during your stay, Cleanliness, Safety, Breakfast, and a Warm Goodbye. We are constantly updating our hotel and looking for ways to improve, and your feedback is very important to us. On behalf of my staff, let me apologize for the problems that you encountered and offer a chance for you to discuss your experience with me personally so I can make the necessary improvements, but also to invite you back to see the changes that we have made and are constantly making. I will share your experience with my staff and make every effort to make improvements. We thank you for choosing to stay with us and hope you will give me the opportunity to make things better for you.

Reviewed June 25, 2010

We were on a two day travel trip to southern California and got in very late, at 1am and 4:30am as our parties met up. For the group that got in at 4:30, they received a call at 9:30 from the frontdesk asking for something the frontdesk already had - their name, and through their incompetence ruining that parties sleeptime.

The high speed internet advertised in each room advertising for Skyriver Wireless Broadband (as I look at the card as I type this) is nonexistent. The very service of wired internet on the card is completely nonexistent and borders on false advertising.

Also there was a speck of dried blood on the sheet I slept on. YUCK.

• Stayed: June 2010, traveled with friends
2  Thank Mister_E503
HIEXSACCA, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Sacramento Convention Center, responded to this reviewResponded June 28, 2010

Our hotel is deeply saddened when we have not delivered 100% Customer Satisfaction during any guests stay with us. I would like to let you know that I am personally going to investigate, review, and provide coaching to the front desk and the housekeeping departments for the mistakes made during your stay.

We also apologize for the confusion you had with the internet during your stay. The company that provides internet and the in room identification cards to the hotel is named Skyriver, but when you open your internet browser, we have named the wireless "Holiday Inn" to make it easier for our guests to find.

In the future, please ask to speak to management when you have concerns or problems during your stay so we can handle them in a timely manner. This allows us to take the appropriate steps to accommodate you and make your stay better, plus to provide coaching to staff to be sure these concerns get addressed and do not happen again to another guest.

We invite you to come back to our hotel and hope you give us another try to make your next stay a pleasurable one.