“Christmas with our son in Sacramento”

Holiday Inn Express Sacramento Convention Center
Ranked #32 of 83 Hotels in Sacramento
Reviewed December 29, 2012

We had wonderful service/room/breakfast at this hotel.

My husband loved the full hot breakfast. I'm not a breakfast person and would have loved an apple and maybe some peanut butter to eat on some toast.

The breakfast lady was just a peach, and at the end of our stay my husband gave her a very nice tip, and I wish all guests would do that.

The only negative was that it has only one elevator which is old and a bit creaky and slow. They need to add a more modern second one,

Loved this place!

Room Tip: We enjoyed our stay and hope you all will too.
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
strat1, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Sacramento Convention Center, responded to this reviewResponded January 9, 2013

We are very happy that you loved our hotel as many do. We hope to see you again next Christmas. Thank you.

Reviewed December 9, 2012 via mobile

I really hate giving a hotel a bad review, I myself work at a hotel and I know how devastating it can be but this place deserves it. The front desk staff were pleasant and apologetic but the rooms were disgraceful. A 1/4 inch of dust under the glass top dresser, urine and pubic hair sprinkled on the toilet. The rooms were bad enough on their own however when you throw in loud drunks screaming at1am when we had to get up at 2:45am, a broken ice machine, and a very seedy location in together it makes for one unsatisfied guest. I will never stay at another holiday inn express..

• Stayed: December 2012
1  Thank shadow138
strat1, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Sacramento Convention Center, responded to this reviewResponded December 21, 2012

We are sorry you were not satisfied with your stay. Our rooms are not disgraceful and the cleanliness of the rooms are not what you described. I would appreciate the opportunity to discuss your stay and look forward to hearing from you.

Reviewed December 7, 2012

This hotel is on the borderline of downtown Sacramento in a neighborhood area. What I liked about this hotel is that the staff go out of their way to please. They are helpful, allow early check-in and late check out, accommodate your every need and go out of their way to please.
They are friendly and professional. I found my room to be very nice size, very clean and with no offensive odors. It was quiet at night and the bed was very comfortable. The housekeeping did a good job of cleaning and restocking every day and it felt like home. The fitness center was small but the equipment was new and in good condition. There were fresh towels and bottled water stocked always inside. The breakfast was very good, with a good mixture of protein and carbohydrates, yogurt, eggs, cereal, pancakes, juices, milk, etc. Something for everyone! I only wished for more fruit since they only had bananas.
The walk around the downtown area is all very close with many choices for restaurants, Starbucks, fast-food, etc all within walking distance. Being solo, I felt very safe in this hotel and they do a good job of safety with their card system and gates around the property.
My only "complaint" was that the mini refrigerator in my room was way too cold with no way to turn it down and it froze all my food. When I mentioned it to the front desk on my way out, they didn't apologize or seem too concerned or act like they were going to fix it for the next guest. I will definitely return to this property when I return to the Sacramento area which is often.

Room Tip: Top floor if you don't want to hear the people above you, plus the view is pretty. Stay away fr...
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled on business

Great review and much appreciated. Thank you and we hope to see you again.

Reviewed December 7, 2012

the staff were wonderful from the front desk to the ladies that served a wonderful breakfest the room was great....and if it wasnt raining i could tell it was a nice place to take a walk and enjoy the sites of sac. it was a quick trip...had to take the train. It was worth staying at this hotel and pay the 10 dollar taxi fare...then staying at the tacky hotel near the train station

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled solo

Thank you for the positive review and I agree, we have a wonderful staff. Please come back again soon.

Reviewed November 14, 2012

I've never had to write a review like this. Firstly the rate at which it was booked was preposterous at 132usd. It's worth 50 max. I have stayed in many many holiday inn expresses and the all are simple yet clean. This is the exception.

The staff although courteous were informal. The check in was fine where priority membership perks although appreciated were handed over the counter... Guys it's a nice gesture but travelers tend to have their hands full and the room s already allocated... Put it in there!

Reception is fine, but on exiting the 3rd floor a musty smell is evident. No matter, the room may be ok I think to myself. No. The room is worse, it positively stinks of a musty scent with a hint of urine near the door. The roach scuttling out under the door was reminiscent of 5usd hostels in Asia.

I spent 5 minutes debating staying. And left. My decision was fortified sharing the lift with a kart load of trash and its lovely essence.

In fairness the staff refunded quickly and didn't really seem surprised I was leaving.

To out this in context I do backpack and in have stayed in better hostels in for 5usd. Seriously. The smell actually reminded me of a very specific hostel in thailand. This does not warrant the holiday inn name.

I marked average for sleep quality. I didn't sleep there but the beds seemed nice enough. If you can get over the scent you'd probably sleep ok.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank Paulo82UK
strat1, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Sacramento Convention Center, responded to this reviewResponded November 23, 2012

We are sorry you decided to leave so quickly after arriving. We did investigate your complaints about odor and bugs and found no supporting evidence. The guests that stayed in that room the same day after you left were completely satisfied with their entire stay. We found after surveying Priority Club members that most of them preferred the personal touch of receiving the welcome gift during the check-in process. We hope you were able to find accommodations that you were happy with.

Reviewed November 1, 2012

I really would like to leave a better score, as the hotel staff was helpful during our stay; however, I simply cannot. I'm a frequent Holiday Inn customer, and my baseline expectation for each stay is simply to have a clean and fresh room. Although cleanliness was not an issue, the musty odor throughout the hotel was a bit much. Upon check out, my wife and I noticed that all of our clothes (especially the jackets, which were left out of our bags overnight) strongly smelled of must. The odor was noticeable throughout the day in the car, and the jackets had to be dry cleaned. Although this hotel has been updated in accordance with the new HI Express requirements, their "refresh" seems to be merely a coverup. Once you exit the lobby area (which is nice) the age of the building really shows; getting rid of the age old may actually require new furniture upholstery and carpets, because the odor is just unacceptable!
On a separate note, it bothers me when non-smoking hotels fail to enforce the smoking policy. I realize you can't blame the hotel entirely for what other customers do, but the night manager has a degree of culpability for what happens inside the hotel during their shift. While looking for a soda machine, I walked two separate floors of the hotel on which I was overcome with the smell of smoke. C'mon management; you guys have to be aware people are smoking in your hotel - it's your job to enforce the policy (cigarettes or otherwise) - don't subject your customers or their children to an unhealthy environment!

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Advisor58
strat1, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Sacramento Convention Center, responded to this reviewResponded November 13, 2012

Thank you for reviewing our hotel, we value all feedback.

Reviewed October 15, 2012

Just returned from 3 nights at the Holiday Inn Express on G and 16th in Sacramento to attend a special event in the area. Since we stayed at the Holiday Inn Express in Hanover, Maryland two weeks ago visiting family, we couldn't resist comparing the two properties. Same brand should be similar quality and features? We stayed in room 4019. Nice view from there, of G Street, with the big trees.

We were comfortable at the Sacramento facility, noting that the property was dated (popcorn ceilings, beat-up elevators, non-current flooring, etc.) and it seemed a little long in the tooth but we don't have any major complaints. One of the things we always appreciate are interior corridors and elevators.

The hotel does not have a pool (guests can use the one next door at the Clarion) but it has a fitness center. It does have the standard HIE amenities such as the continental breakfast, with yogurt and cereal and hard-boiled eggs and bagels/toast/muffins, as well as the pancake-making machine. It was identical to the set up we found in Hanover, MD recently, except the staff wasn't keeping the eggs/bacon/biscuit/gravy (warm food) supply up to date. Had to come back later in the morning twice, to get some eggs. We liked the seating in the breakfast area. Very pleasant and bright and roomy.

Our King bed was comfortable, as were the *soft and firm* pillows. They are labeled. What we didn't like about the sleep was that there was a lock-off to next door and there was a very loud family next door which woke us up at 5:30am. We didn't blame the family as tiny children make lots of noise. The insulation was bad though. Not much sleep that night. We could hear every word.

Our bath area (counter-space) was very large, which we appreciate. Bathtub was oddly situated (like an after-thought). The HIE showerhead is great --- you can adjust them to almost any water-delivery.

We did not have a microwave but did have a small fridge. TV was a 32-inch flatscreen (Panasonic) with ample selections. Lighting was decent but the mirrors were moreso. Two in the bathroom and a couple out in the bedroom. Sure helps getting ready, with two people.

I did walk across the floor (carpet) in bare feet and it felt greasy and dirty (it's one of those carpets where you can't see any dirt) so immediately put my sandals back on.

Wireless worked fine (we need that!) but one of the two phones was broken. I reported it and they were going to replace it when we left. The other thing we always need is parking. We had two cars and they had plenty of space.

The place appears tired and it's near some rather cheap-o motels, within two blocks, but it's also near some decent restaurants (loved Original Pete's on 20th and J) and the old Music Circus (I guess they still have theater) and the Convention Center. Walkable to some. It was a bit bothersome that there were no snacks (vending machine) of any kind in the hotel so I had to walk to a little convenience store on G and 14th to even get some nuts to munch on or a variety of sodas. I don't even remember the last time I stayed in a hotel where there was no candy/nut/chip vending machine. Desk clerk confirmed there are none.

I remember the old Mansion Inn (next door --- now the Clarion) in its heyday, when the Governor's Mansion was occupied by the head of State, so this block just seemed to have seen better days lately. Not Motel 6 level (review below) but unfortunately not up to the level of the HIE we just stayed at, outside Baltimore.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
strat1, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Sacramento Convention Center, responded to this reviewResponded October 18, 2012

We appreciate you putting allot of thought and time in writing your survey about our hotel and glad you found it comfortable. Please come back again soon.