“Pleasant surprise” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #30 of 80 Hotels in Sacramento
San Francisco, California
“Pleasant surprise”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 21, 2012 via mobile

I admit, I was reluctant to stay here due to the spate of bad reviews of late, but we were pleasantly surprised. The location was convenient to everything we wanted to see and do, and it's in a pretty area - not sketchy at all. The lobby, breakfast room and common areas were clean and attractive. The room was spotless and comfortable, with good beds and cushy pillows. I heard hardly any street noise - the area seems quiet at night, and the windows are well sealed.

Staff was friendly and exceedingly helpful. I had to receive and send a fax for a real estate transaction, and they were more than happy to comply. The cleaning staff often greeted us in the halls with smiles and "hellos" or "good mornings." I didn't use the fitness center, but it looked decent. There's no pool, but guests are welcome to use the pool next door at the Clarion. The free breakfast was not a five-star gourmet experience, but it sufficed, and included hot items such as biscuits and gravy, sausage links and pre-made cheese omelets that were not bad with salsa on them.

I had a few small quibbles, but they weren't deal breakers. I'd gladly stay here again, especially for the price.

The air conditioner was kind of noisy, but that's normal for this type of room. Water pressure or maybe the showerhead could have been better - I have long hair and it's hard to rinse out the shampoo if I don't have enough pressure. And it would be nice to see them add in-room safes. I wanted to leave my iPad one day, but they only have metal safe deposit boxes at the desk, and the iPad didn't fit in it.

All in all, though, it appeared to be a well-kept property with well-trained staff. I recommend it.

Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends
2 Thank 1wino
strat1, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Sacramento Convention Center, responded to this review, July 24, 2012
Thank you for the great review, it’s nice when guests take the time to write about the good stuff, it’s greatly appreciated. Come back again soon.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (47)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Los Angeles, California
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 17, 2012

This hotel made a poor impression starting in the lobby and continued on to the front desk and room. Several co-workers and I stayed here for a work conference in March, and when we walked in, the first thing we noticed was a couch across from the front desk with a towel on the seat and a handwritten sign on it that said "out of order"; it was gross and tacky. We arrived mid-morning and as there were no rooms available yet, we asked if we could check our luggage and get a call on our cell phones when the rooms became available; I've done this before in hotels from Seattle to Boston but was told here to "just leave your bags over there against the wall" in the lobby, and "we don't have checked bag tags. Just check back in a few hours to see if the rooms are available." Hmmm. We looked at each other and hoped our bags would be fine.
When we were finally able to check in, the rooms were outdated and worse, there was a long, black hair hanging over the shower curtain in my bathroom. I didn't feel like it was very clean. When I tried to logon to the free Internet on my laptop, I couldn't, and the front desk told me I had to call an outside company's 800 number for help; it sounded like this happened often. It took 10 minutes to get hooked up.
The heater/airconditioning unit was so loud when it was on that it was difficult to sleep without earplugs.
The area was good and bad; a short walk to the Convention Center and restaurants, but sketchy because of all the homeless people around; I did not feel completely safe walking home one night after meeting a friend for coffee. I would not recommend this hotel, or wish to stay here again.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled on business
4 Thank teachertraveller17
Thank you for the feedback and sorry for the issues you experienced while staying with us. The hotel has been renovated and is looking great.
Nashville, Tennessee
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 12, 2012

Asked for hotel close to Airport for early flight out. This was closest. No shuttle. Taxi from/to airport $34 each way. Hotel is dirty, old, nasty. Wife would not sleep here. Called early to say I needed feather free pillows due to serious allergies and was told all pillows and duvets are cotton. Got to room and pillows were all feather. Called desk and said housekeeping closed and could not help me. Claim to be "convention center" is lie. Only semi close to convention center and I went out of hotel and thought about walking around but neighborhood seemed very ghetto. . I can go into great detail about the room and lobby and elevator and stink (when I walked in I asked if there was a restaurant on site was told no so I have no idea where the cooked dirty socks smell was coming from. Believe it or not. Don't stay here unless you get insane price. Good news...I have not seen any bugs. Oh yea...They had the room reserved for two people but there was only one towel in the room. Horrible.

Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
3 Thank Edward G
strat1, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Sacramento Convention Center, responded to this review, July 17, 2012
I am not familiar with the hotel you are describing and truly sorry you did not enjoy your experience there.
Sonoma County, CA
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 11, 2012

I just spent three days and was quite disappointed at how important amenities were undeliverable despite numerous requests and promises. Of course there were some very kind staff members, a fine breakfast, and a daily free newspaper, however there was no working wireless internet in either of two rooms they moved me to nor air conditioning in the very small and enclosed fitness room. It did not ruin my stay, but it did make for a challenging time to complete my work. My first room had a broken and completely unworkable shower handle. I went without a shower the first night and had to move the next morning when I was told it would not be fixed as soon as it had been told to me. When I spoke to the manager there was not as much as a hint of anything being done in exchange for the poor service. I would not stay again as there are MANY equitable hotels very close by.

Room Tip: Ask for a top floor to avoid noise.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
2 Thank HJHteacher
Thank you for the feedback and we are truly sorry you had to experience an issue while staying with us but am glad we were able to take care of the shower issue with a new room.
Los Angeles, California
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 19, 2012

I stayed here quite a few times. They have a USC group rate and so when I was working or taking classes at USC, this was my chosen hotel because the rate.

The good: Price. The breakfast is pretty good and I am a sucker for a free newspaper. They also gave free drink coupons for the bar at the hotel next door.
The bad: Not the greatest area, both in terms of convenience and neighborhood. The shower was always subpar and it seemed like the building was breaking down. Twice in the winter, they had to come to repair my heater and one of those times were unable to do so and so I had to switch rooms.

If you're on a budget, this might be your place. Otherwise- there are better options!

• Stayed September 2011, traveled on business
2 Thank Patrick F
California, Pennsylvania
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 11, 2012

Elevator smelled of Pot (for 3 days). Floors dirty. No Wake up call. Hotel Clock broken. I Woke at 6:30 AM an hour late to learn the shower handle was stripped and only turned to one temp (extra hot), too hot for showering. Being I had to leave in the next hour (son's graduation) and my son and I both needed to shower, I requested a new room, pronto. The clerk said he send the handy man, I explained we had no time for a handyman to fix the issue. I was not given a new room. The handyman arrived and was pissy. My son and I couldn't dress with him in the room. Now 6:50 AM and we had to leave at 7:30 AM. Handy removed the shower handle (but could not replace it because he did not have a new handle - then why take it off). The handy man left the shower running, full stream, extra hot water, making the room very humid, wet, and uncomfortable. Now 7:10 AM and we're just getting dressed, now. The shower did not get turned off until after I left. While I was leaving the room/hotel, the handyman was returning to the room, and began calling me names. I kept walking, I was late for the morning graduation church services. The handyman was yelling after me down the hall calling names and wanting me to argue with him. I had no time to argue and kept walking. I was late leaving because of the handy man interruption. Nice. Not! I told the desk how unhappy I was and I was told NOT TO COME BACK. Wow! Customer Service needs much improvement. I had a 2 night stay and stressed all day that my 2nd night was canceled by the clerk. When I returned, I learned the toilet did not flush, the tank would not fill with water. I used the ice bucket to fill the tank with water just to flush it. No way was I having a handyman come back to my room. You know the cleaning people knew the shower and toilet did not work, as they were the last to use both when cleaning the room. Heating/Air system was very loud and dirty. I brought my own iron, when I returned to the room, it was gone. I asked the next day, they claimed not to have it. Same clerk next morning with her glares and nasty attitude again. My friend (a travel agent who I did not use) told me, what did I expect from such an old dumpy place. I certainly expected a fully working room and no nastiness from the desk clerk and handyman because my room was not in working order. I expect a room CHANGE when my room is not in working order. I wish I had let my friend book my room for me. I would not have had to deal with all of this on such a special day, by which they ruined our morning with so much stress, their nasty attitudes, and threats my second night was canceled. I picked this location based on past experience, reputation of the company, and location. Never again. It ruined my son's graduation morning. I have never ever had such a horrible experience. Hotel is dirty/old. Floors are dirty in the halls, the rooms/halls smell. Decor is worn and outdated. The people are horrible. Worst hotel experience ever. I can't believe I paid for this, and this was to make my life easier, not more difficult.

Room Tip: STAY AWAY ... FAR AWAY .... This hotel doesn't care about customer comfort or have any customer...
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
strat1, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Sacramento Convention Center, responded to this review, June 12, 2012
I am truly sorry that you were disappointed with your stay and had some issues. I am not sure why you didn’t take us up on the offer to use another room across the hall for showering and getting ready for your sons graduation that morning. It is unfortunate when something malfunctions in the hotel but we always offer solutions when the unfortunate happens. I hope the graduation was a huge success and wish you and your son great luck in the future.
Phoenix
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 18, 2012

I just spent a week at this hotel at the end of March and found it to be a decent place to stay. It isn't fancy or new, but the location is convenient and it had everything I needed. My room and the rest of the hotel seemed clean and maintained. As I mentioned before it's not a new hotel so there are some things about the room/hotel that are showing some age, but were still functional.

Pros:
convenient location
clean
staff were friendly and efficient
free wireless
small fridge in room
large bathroom
desk area in room
free parking
relatively quiet location without a lot of street noise

Cons:
The continental breakfast - it's nice to have free food offered, but the food's just not very good
There is a bit of a smell in the hallways - maybe from new carpet. It wasn't overwhelming
I've slept on better mattresses in hotels. This one was pretty lumpy.
The gym equipment was limited and old.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled on business
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
strat1, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Sacramento Convention Center, responded to this review, April 25, 2012
Thank you for writing about our hotel, we do value all comments and hope you stay with us the next time you are in Sacramento.