“Good Hotel and Value”

Holiday Inn Express Sacramento Convention Center
Ranked #29 of 81 Hotels in Sacramento
Reviewed June 24, 2011

I spent several nights here on business recently and found it to be a very nice hotel with a good staff. The rooms are typical Holiday Inn Express rooms and are clean and comfortable. The location is good and you can walk to the convention center and several restaurants. I walked to and from the hotel at night and did not find the surrounding area bad at all. There's free parking, which is another plus. The breakfast was your typically good HI Express breakfast. We had a package shipped ahead of time to the hotel and it was ready for us upon check-in, a feat which is often ignored by hotels.
Two minor issues. There is free wifi, which is great, but it's so slow in the rooms as to be useless. We also needed to find a nearby shipping store, like UPS or FedEx, so we asked the front desk for advice. They replied that it was "something we get asked all the time" but they didn't know the answer. I got online in the lobby and found there's a FedEx store two blocks away. If you get asked a lot, you should find out the answer, especially for a convention center hotel.
The hotel is a great value for a convention center hotel and a fine example of the chain. I'd recommend it to anyone visiting Sacramento.

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled on business
There are newer reviews for Holiday Inn Express Sacramento Convention Center

Reviewed June 13, 2011

Overall, it is what you would expect from a holiday in express. It is about 3 blocks away from the convention center so it is quite walkable. The corridors are slightly too dark (from the point of view of a single traveler). The other problem is the downtown / convention center being unsafe overnight but if you are not renting a car, there isn't much you can do other than booking in the way more expensive hotels right next to the convention center.

• Stayed: February 2011
Reviewed May 16, 2011

As Priority club Platinum members, we use choose this group because of their overall quality and customer service. This property was way below their standard. We stayed here one night before our flight. Last visit, we stayed at the Holiday Inn by old town and enjoyed it. Not so here.
The location is bordering a seedy corner with an abandoned hotel and some characters wandering about. The hotel isn't dirty, but is in need of some renovation and is very dark and dull. My real complaint was in the complete lack of service. We were in a large corner room on the 3rd floor near the steps. The door opening to the stairs was broken and slammed at a VERY loud crash whenever closed. It was so loud I literally jumped every time it shut. It was being used all night, as they had a large group of motorcycle riders staying there and they were going out to smoke, party, rev their engines, etc all night outside our window. We never saw security and nobody ever asked for quiet. I live on the east coast and 10 pm there feels like one am to me! Add to that, the mattress felt like a lumpy bad of hard potatoes. The sheets were of the poorest quality as well. I only got about 2 hours of sleep the entire night. I am rather displeased that I wasted my free points at this terrible hotel. Next time I'll use Priceline and bid on a better place downtown. Do not stay here!

• Stayed: April 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank LLindaC
HIEXSACCA, Manager at Holiday Inn Express Sacramento Convention Center, responded to this reviewResponded May 29, 2011

Thank you for taking the time to share the challenges you experienced on your recent stay at the Holiday Inn Express. I am always saddened to hear when we have not delivered the “Guest Experience” that you expected. Your experience reminds us that we have “work-to-be-done” and that each member of the TEAM needs to strive to do better with the next guest and I am sincerely sorry for the inconvenience that you had experienced during your stay.

I am sorry that you were unable to sleep due to noise coming from other noisy guests that were coming and going during your stay. I am confident that with your feedback, I will be able to take the appropriate action to insure a positive experience for the next guest and again apologize for any inconveniences you may have encountered. Our engineers are adding weather strips to the doors on the stairwells to keep them from slamming. We do have onsite security and I will follow up with them to make sure that they are making their rounds more effectively during the later hours to keep the noise levels down.

I will try to locate you by your reservation but if I cannot find contact information for you, I hope that you contact me at the hotel so I can offer you your points back and hopefully give us another chance. I understand your stay was less than pleasant and would like to do all that I can to try to make it better for you. I remain “Committed to Extraordinary Service Assuring Safety and Satisfaction” and will strive for myself and my staff to do better for each and every guest.

Please do not hesitate to contact me if you have any questions or comments that I can assist you with.

Reviewed April 28, 2011

The best part of this older hotel is the location. Walking distance to convention center. The last couple of years a few new restaurants have sprung up around the property. The lobby, halls, common space and room are fine. Not new and nice, but not run down. The room had a lot of street noise even for an upper floor. Walls seem thinner than most as noise from adjoining rooms drifted in. Breakfast was average although no instant oatmeal which seems to be a standard most places. Desk staff was friendly and helpful. Price seems high for the property but that's true for many Sacramento hotels.

• Stayed: April 2011, traveled on business

Thank you for your review and comments during your stay. Our Hotel Ownership and Management is currently working to improve our Guest Experience at our Hotel and we will be making numerous changes to serve you better. We have also just ordered new fitness equipment and are scheduling to remodel our fitness room shortly adding the new equipment when completed. Our guest rooms and hallways will be getting a makeover very soon too. We invite you to be sure to come back and check out all of our new changes over the upcoming months as we are very excited and we are sure our guests will be too.

Reviewed March 20, 2011

This property is located just a few blocks from the Sacramento Convention Center and offers a cheaper alternative to the pricey Hyatt and Sheraton Grand located next to the facility.
This is an older hotel that has that feint odor that I can't quite describe when exiting the elevator but that's what you get for the price.
I honestly couldn't get the heat to turn on during my stay which was a minor annoyance with the temps being in the 50's during my stay but I had some warm pj's to compensate.
The best part of my stay was the free breakfast which consisted of a variety of hot and cold foods that ranged from cheese omelettes, biscuits and gravy to scrambled eggs and bacon. The real bonus were the hot cinnamon buns that were available every day.
One of the drawbacks to the hotel is that there aren't any restaurants within a block from the hotel as it borders a fairly sketchy area. But if you are willing to walk a few blocks there are some very nice choices though it would be nice to have a fast food restaurant nearby but I think that's a function of the location being less than desirable.
All in all a decent property and one that I would stay at again.

• Stayed: March 2011, traveled on business
Reviewed March 13, 2011

Good location in Downtown Sacramento, spacious room, and nicely taken care of urban property. Only problem experienced was shock waves from the slamming of all room doors in the vicinity when they close (there has got to be a mechanism to prevent this) and a bathroom door that would not close since it was too big for the frame.

• Stayed: March 2011, traveled as a couple
HIEXSACCA, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Sacramento Convention Center, responded to this reviewResponded March 15, 2011

Thank you for your review and comments. I am having my Engineers review the self closing mechanism on the guest room doors to locate any guest doors that may be closing and making a noise and readjusting them to close quietly. I will also have them look for any guest bathroom doors that do not close securely as I am not sure what room number guest stayed in. We conduct daily room inspections before guests check in to make sure each room is ready for each new guest and that each item is in the room and working properly and if a problem is reported, our staff is sure to remedy them immediately to assure safety and satisfaction. I will make sure these problems are corrected and thank you for bringing them to our attention. We hope you enjoyed the rest of your stay and look forward to seeing you again.

Reviewed January 26, 2011

Based on the reviews, I was expecting much less. But, it's fine. What do people expect from a low cost, budget hotel in a mid-sized city? The room has some miles on it, but is clean and comfortable enough. It doesn't have the big flat screen, or cushy pillow top bed that nicer hotels have, but you're not paying for that.

Two notes for people who might care about these things:
1. The free wireless Internet can be sloooowww. Or maybe it's just where my room is.
2. If you care about a fitness center, this might not be your place. Two old treadmills, an eliptical and a recumbant bike, all crammed in to this tiny space. Fortunately, the weather in Sacramento usually allows for outdoor exercise.

If someone else is paying, maybe you'll want to stay someplace else. If it's coming out of your wallet, this place is fine.

(I marked "would not recommend." It's fine, but "recommend" is a little strong)

• Stayed: January 2011, traveled on business

Thank you for your review and comments during your stay. Our Hotel Ownership and Management is currently working to improve our Guest Experience at our Hotel and we will be making numerous changes to serve you better. We have recently upgraded our wireless internet services to provide a better signal and have a 24 hour technical support in case any problems occur and will continue to monitor it daily. We have also just ordered new fitness equipment and are scheduling to remodel our fitness room shortly adding the new equipment when completed. We invite you to be sure to come back and check out all of our new changes over the upcoming months as we are very excited and we are sure our guests will be too.