“An Urban Jewel”

Juno's Kitchen and Delicatessen
Ranked #356 of 2,049 Restaurants in Sacramento
Cuisines: Delicatessen
Reviewed August 2, 2012

Juno's is located just a little off the downtown Sacramento beaten path, in the East Sacramento area. It's where the locals go. It's easy, affordable and fairly fast. They use a lot of locally grown food and make their own bread. The owner uses a starter and a process that is more lengthy, resulting in a superior product.

It's small inside- can seat about 12 or so in the front with a hidden table for (6 or 8?) in the back. They also have two tables with chairs in the front, and a bowl of water and bed for anyone who travels with a pooch. I think a bonus is BYOB.

My favorite is the Caesar Kale Salad with chicken as an option. The Bahn Mi sandwich is right up there with the best. Other options include pasta, a vegetarian sandwich, a more Spanish like plate plus more.

I did see a review about them running out of bread and other ingredients. I wonder if that was earlier on or not. At any rate, it is owned and run by a chef and his wife with a sous chef and dishwasher.

If you're traveling through and want a quieter, low-key place to dine, it's hard to beat Juno's. I only gave them 4 stars because I rarely give out 5- no one is perfect!

Reviewed July 31, 2012

We stopped her for lunch and had chicken pasta and eggplant sandwich. Both were delicious and made with fresh ingredients. It was a bit of a scramble to get a table but we liked being able to sit outside.

Reviewed May 28, 2012

Wonderful and friendly service. Went for lunch. We were very impressed with the freshness of the meals and the delicious taste. Everything was done perfectly. Obviously a very busy place, shortly after we arrived the line was nearly out the door. We will definitely be going back for more and to try the rest of the menu!

Reviewed February 25, 2012

We heard great things about this small deli and restaurant on J St. and 36th St and decided to try it for dinner. Our first attempt was met by a sign on the door saying that they would be closed while they made more bread. When they did open, the bread still was not done and one of the owners told two couples who were already seated that they had run out of several menu items and that it would be best if they closed for the night. O.K....so we came back another evening and the same sign was on the door...baking more bread. They finally opened and we ordered our meal. My wife had the salami sandwich...excellent and I ordered their much praised hamburger. I was somewhat disappointed as it had too much sauce (BBQ?) and the bun fell apart before I finished. I went through five napkins by the time I was done. The meat was good though. They don't serve beer or wine, but have no problem with you bringing in your own wine or going across the street to the nearby liquor store and picking up something to have with your meal. We will come back again, but I think I will pass on the burger this time and try something else.