All reviews cal expo room was clean sacramento area waffles would definitely stay here again easy access late check a great stay close to downtown front desk staff freeway inns accommodations microwave
Reviewed June 25, 2018

Traveling on business with a colleague. Both of us loyal Hilton guys. Just a quick 2-night stay, mostly needing a place to sleep and catch up on email at night.

This is a tricky one for me to review. It is about my experience, or is it more about the hotel itself? How much emphasis on the location vs the property condition? In some cases, these inputs are wildly far apart (e.g., good condition, awful location).

For this review, I'm going to go with 2 stars. The hotel itself met expectations - no issues at all. However, the location was far from ideal - to the point where I asked if I could change my reservation from 2 nights to 1 night, just to find a different property. In the end, wasn't worth the cancellation costs.

Pros
Quiet - 5 stars. Didn't hear any freeway noise, no hallway traffic, no neighboring rooms - even when front desk said they were sold out.

Condition - 4 stars. A few stains in the bath room, but not a dealbreaker. Just showing its age. Fine for a quick, 2-night stay when most of my time was spent outside the room. Stairway appeared/smelled to have just been updated. Was nice to see a stairway in good shape and not neglected.

Clean - 4 stars. No real issues. I will say something was off in the elevator, but not worth raising the issue to staff. I preferred stairs anyway, which were quite clean. Room itself was great.

Cons
Location - 0 stars. Rough neighborhood and not at all close to Cal Expo, as the name suggests. In fact, I find it rather deceptive. Cal Expo is maybe 4-5 miles away. Either on surface streets or freeway.Not an area where you would walk around at night.

And even if you felt comfortable walking around, there is nothing within walking distance. Plenty of nice places to eat, shop, etc, are within 2-3 miles. But you have to drive through some rough areas to get there.

Others
Breakfast buffet - did not utilize, cannot comment.

Service/Staff - 3 stars. Ernest was working the evening shift when we checked in. He was very friendly, great attitude. Really appreciated his desire to please. My unsolicited advice would be to go even a bit further - it's the little things that make a difference.

Two examples: First, upon check-in, my colleague (also a diamond member) was given a ground floor close to the elevator. He asked if he could have upper floor.
"Sorry, we're completely full. I could move you tomorrow night, if you'd like." Well, maybe nothing could be done, but that's an odd way to handle it. Maybe offer the diamond member something to offset it. Second, returning to the hotel around 9p the second day, just to clean up and bit and go out for late dinner. We asked if there were any nearby places for light meal, coffee, dessert. He answered honestly, "Maybe 7-11 up the street. There's really nothing nearby." Well, I know how to use Yelp, so not an issue...just a missed opportunity to enhance our experience.

My experience overall was OK. The hotel itself would get 4 stars. But the location was very frustrating (reasons above).

Bottom line: I would have to stay somewhere else just because of the location.

Room Tip: 2nd floor, facing away from freeway
  • Stayed: June 2018, traveled on business
John-HiltonHelp, on behalf of management at Hampton Inn & Suites Sacramento-Cal Expo, responded to this reviewResponded June 30, 2018

Dear vitirus,

Thank you for your review of your past stay with us. We always appreciate hearing from our guests - including areas where we haven’t met our guests’ expectations. We apologize for the inconveniences encountered and hope that the next time you travel to the area you will consider staying with us again.

Reviewed June 1, 2018

Not knowing the area, our fist couple of nights we stayed at a hotel very similar to this one. We moved to this hotel as soon as we were able to and were SO, VERY happy we did. It felt as if we came to a 5-star hotel. We thoroughly enjoyed our stay here!

• Stayed: May 2018, traveled with family
Review collected in partnership with Hampton
Reviewed May 9, 2018

My mother in law stayed for 5 nights. Very welcoming staff that made you feel at home. The owner even dropped in for a breakfast visit to speak with guests. Our room, public areas, and pool were kept very clean. Plenty of parking for free.

• Stayed: May 2018, traveled with family
Review collected in partnership with Hampton
Reviewed May 7, 2018

And I have stayed at a lot of them. First off, this one is not in a location where you are going to walk to dinner. You need a car. It is right along Business 80, but I never heard any car noise. Spent three separate nights in three different style rooms and all were well appointed. While Hampton almost always consistent, this one a step above.

• Stayed: May 2018, traveled as a couple
Reviewed April 29, 2018

Stayed at this property in March of 2018. The hotel is sandwiched in between Hwy 80 and a residential neighborhood. The room itself was clean and comfortable. Parking was ample up front and no worries about my car getting broken into at night. The check-in staff was friendly.

I did have a problem with the bathroom when I returned to the room one night. The vanity light did not fully turn-on and the toilet was a bit slow. Being so late in the evening they couldn't get this fixed but managed to do so the next day. They even called me to let me know that the repairs were being completed.

Breakfast is complimentary with the usual fare but what I liked most was the make it yourself waffle machine. Just pour a cup of the batter onto the grill and out pops a waffle within minutes!

Overall a good stay.