“Southern Cooking”

The Porch Restaurant and Bar
Reserve with OpenTable
The Porch Restaurant and Bar is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #47 of 2,070 Restaurants in Sacramento
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: 18th & K Streets
Reviewed November 14, 2013

...in California. Sacramento no less. Who knew. I really liked this restaurant. The food, though different, was recognizable and different for what we Sacramentans have come to expect from the many fine restauarnts in our area. This is another fine resataurant, but witgh a distinctly Southern flair.

Reviewed October 1, 2013

A delightful setting. We did not feel like we were in a downtown big city. After driving the city streets with homeless people sleeping on the corner we weren't sure what we would find. The Porch was like stepping back in time to a visit to your Grandmother's house. We didn't sit on the porch but close enough we had the general feel of sitting on the front porch. Grilled brie with watermelon jam/sauce was delicious as an appetizer. Good chicken friend pork as well as shrimp and grits. Sweet, jalapeno butter was great with biscuit. We were too full for dessert but the choices sounded good. Service was a little slow considering the restaurant wasn't crowded on a Sunday night.

Reviewed October 1, 2013

Oh, but so yummy! Brunch here is like a trip to New Orleans, rich, heavy and spirit laden...I had the Fried Oysters with a grilled Anduille Sausage, scramble eggs with Red Eye Gravy and a$3.00 extra, for a side of smoky Gouda cheesy Grits! This place is expensive though, for two people with two drinks each, $71 plus tip will hit your wallet for over $80. Stick with the $7 Mimosas with refills at 1/2 price ($3.50)
Service was nice but SLooowwww. i guess they really want you to have that low country southern experience. Maybe it was our server, hard to tell since this was our first time here.

1  Thank louisethethird
Reviewed September 25, 2013

If I were to visit The Porch Restaurant in anticipation of a first-time trip culinary trip to the "Low Country", I think I probably would skip the trip. Fortunately there are a million other reasons to visit the South. Everything on the menu looked like Southern food, but at nearly $60 for two for a non-alcohol lunch, I expected edible food. With the exception of biscuits and "reezy peezy", edible wasn't on the menu. Splitting a fried chicken dish, my friend's dark meat selection was undercooked at the joint, my white meat breast piece was dry. A recipe that I make from an old Bon Apetit recipe, professes authenticity and is delicious. Green fried tomato appetizer was very good, including sprinkles of feta cheese. A note, our server was very nice. The one other server who was overheard calling us "wimps" when we asked to box the inexplicably scorching cole slaw, did return to us to state that we were right, too hot. Also, nice list of bourbons. Wish I'd had a few.

Reviewed September 18, 2013

Love the ever changing menu as there are always new, great foods to try! The cornbread, jam and peanut butter stuffed benigets were outrageously wonderful; the grilled shrimp and grits were delicious. My hubby had the fried chicken and waffles and loved it. Shared the Bloody Mary punch bowl which was very good! By far one of the best restaurants in midtown Sacramento. The staff are very accommodating and attentive. This is the perfect place to have a leisurely meal!