“Nice Renovation Can't Overcome Location - Didn't Feel Safe”

Red Roof Inn Sacramento - Elk Grove
Ranked #68 of 82 Hotels in Sacramento
Reviewed May 19, 2013

The 5yo & I were making the one day, 12+ hour drive from Seattle to meet up with Hubby in the Bay Area. Hubby booked this thinking it was in Elk Grove near our family but it is not even close. Its still at least a 15-20 minute drive depending on traffic.

We arrived well into the evening (around 9:30pm). When we pulled up there was a fight/loud discussion happening on the second floor and a uniformed man was up there trying to deal with it. I went inside to check in and inquired why the police were called. The night clerk said it was actually the NIGHT SECURITY DETAIL dealing with it. That right there raised red flags because if they have to have security on hand then it is obviously not in the best part of town.

When we went to our room we found bugs (some dead, some alive). It also seemed that some previous guest had a problem with nail polish as remnants were left both on the desk and on the comforter.

Overall the room was "okay" but sadly the sleep was hard to come by. Between the constant all night tenant noise to the rumble of trucks/cars/traffic outside, there was no peace or quiet. Especially the semi and double trailer trucks that had to stop for the corner light as the sound is quite loud. I also didn't feel safe with my daughter & I traveling alone or with my truck and possessions parked outside. After such a long, long drive I had hoped for some sleep but was only able to get about 3 or 4 hours total.

The next morning we awoke for breakfast to find waffles, pre-packaged bakery muffins, and a couple types of cereal. Not much choice or offerings so the 5yo had nothing. I didn't mind so much and had a waffle.

During our meal, one of the other guests had to ramble on how she had been living there for months. She even brought her dogs into the lobby for breakfast. Most of the guests seemed like "tenants" rather than just passing through. The ones which I saw or ran into in some way were very sketchy.

The morning clerk may have been the Manager or Owner and was very nice/kind/helpful. I wish I could say more positives about the place but really the only nice thing is that it is a very nice renovation. Sadly though, no matter how much makeup is put on this place, its still a pig of a location/clientele.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with family
5  Thank AdventureBeeFamily
Fatima P, Guest Relations Manager at Red Roof Inn Sacramento - Elk Grove, responded to this reviewResponded June 20, 2013

Thank you for staying with us at Red Roof Inn Sacramento- Elk Grove. We are sorry to hear that you did not enjoy your stay. We appreciate your comments and feedback and would have liked to have been informed of any problem in your room, so that we could fix it right away. Since our hotel is located near busy streets, we have installed dual-pane windows to reduce noise. Also, since we are an outdoor corridor property, we have security at night for your safety and convenience. We apologize for the unpleasantness of your stay and hope that your next stay with us will be more positive. Thank you and we hope to see you again soon.

Reviewed May 6, 2013

The pictures by the professionals look 10 times better the real thing is. The room is small and smell "pot" . The bottom of the room door has a gap over 1 inch wide: any smell, noise and insects can travel in easily. The breakfast is a joke: the so-called " Starbucks coffee" is so watery, it is worse than fast food restaurants. The pastries is not fresh, but pre-package one, no fruits, two types of cereals, and a waffle maker. The front desk is ok friendly, but do not provide much assistance.

Room Tip: Don't even go here.It's horrible.
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family
5  Thank ProfessorSmart

Thank you for staying with us at Red Roof Inn Sacramento- Elk Grove. We are sorry to hear that you did not enjoy your stay. We appreciate your comments and feedback and would have liked to have been informed of any problem in your room, so that we could fix it right away. We have recently replaced our weather strips under the doors to eliminate insects, noise, and smells. We are sorry you didn't enjoy our continental breakfast, and will take your comments into consideration for future improvements. We apologize for the unpleasantness of your stay and hope that your next stay with us will be more positive. Thank you and we hope to see you again soon.

Reviewed March 26, 2013

All the rooms smell like smoke. The place has people living long term in it. The rooms are tiny but nice. The cops get called here. The outside rooms have 80k cars passing by a day. People are hanging out in the parking lot. Basically this place is for poor people and truckers. It's the nicest Red Roof Inn I've ever seen is the best I can come up with.

Room Tip: Inside rooms are quieter and safer.
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled on business
4  Thank mrkickit

Thank you for staying with us at Red Roof Inn Sacramento- Elk Grove. We are sorry to hear that you did not enjoy your stay. We appreciate your comments and feedback and would have liked to have been informed of any problem in your room, so that we could fix it right away. Since our hotel is located near busy streets, we have installed dual-pane windows to reduce noise. Also, since we are an outdoor corridor property, we have security at night for your safety and convenience. We also have a convenient back entrance to our property to help decrease traffic for our guests. We apologize for the unpleasantness of your stay and hope that your next stay with us will be more positive. Thank you and we hope to see you again soon.

Reviewed March 26, 2013

I stayed at the Red Roof Inn in Sacramento off the 99 freeway during the Thanksgiving holidays 2012. The rooms were clean and efficient. The hotel staff was nice and accommodating, and they give you a little Continental breakfast, but you better get there before 9 am. The only real issue I have with the hotel it appears that prostitution or something else goes on. On two separate occasions I herd people arguing and screaming at each other loud like they was ready to fight. I Don't know if it is like that all the time, because I spent most of the time at my bother's for thanks giving than at the hotel. Overall pretty good hotel, just need to make sure that the stay for its customers are more peaceful.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled with family
3  Thank Jonathan B

Thank you for staying with us at Red Roof Inn Sacramento- Elk Grove. We are happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay and are glad that you had a positive experience with our staff, as we strive to be the best in customer service. We are sorry to hear that our other guests' were unpleasant to you. Since we are an outdoor corridor hotel, we have security for your safety and convenience. We hope you had a great Thanksgiving with your family. Thank you and we hope to see you again soon.

Reviewed March 9, 2013

It was really nice. It was super clean.Small bath tub clean. The staff were very kind and understanding. I stayed because I had a test in the area that was 5 hours and they let us stay a couple hours extra so I can finish my test and pick up my husband since I had to use the car. The only thing is I didn't like the entrance because you have to turn where there is alot of traffic.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank March4god31

Thank you for staying with us at Red Roof Inn Sacramento- Elk Grove. We are happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay. As you know, our rooms are newly remodeled with flat screen TVs, refrigerators, microwaves, and coffee makers in each room. We are glad that you had a positive experience with our staff, as we strive to be the best in customer service. For our guests' convenience, we have a back entrance to decrease traffic. We hope you did well on your test. Thank you and we hope to see you again soon.

Reviewed January 24, 2013

I have literally traveled the world. I have stayed in Presidential suites that were $1,500.00 a night and hotel rooms that were $2.00 a night. Persons like myself who travel as many as 300 days a year for over 30 years, we know the difference between a good hotel that is genuinely concerned with the well being of their guests, and all the rest. The owner/manager of this hotel understands the business and really does go above and beyond the call of duty to make this hotel, BETTER THAN THE REST!

I have stayed here several times now and when in Sacramento I know I have a choice, I can stay anywhere, I ALWAYS choose the Red Roof Inn at Sacramento/Elk Grove. The rooms are EXCEPTIONALLY CLEAN, In fact, I honestly doubt that you could find a cleaner hotel in Sacramento.

The front desk staff? They have it all! They are Pleasant, Personable and Professional, they strive to make my home away from home pleasant and they have never failed in doing so.

From the owner, to the front desk, to the maids and maintenance, "THANK YOU" for making my stay a genuine pleasure.

Room Tip: All the rooms are nice, I have stayed in several but given the choice I would prefer the courtyard.
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled on business
4  Thank ITravel4YOURRights

Thank you for staying with us at Red Roof Inn Sacramento- Elk Grove. We are happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay. As you know, our rooms are newly remodeled with flat screen TVs, refrigerators, microwaves, and coffee makers in each room. We are glad that you had a positive experience with our staff, as we strive to be the best in customer service. We will pass your comments on to our staff, as they are very motivational, coming from someone with so much travel experience. Thank you and we hope to see you again soon.

Reviewed January 23, 2013

Hardwood floors(cold),heater ran all night(had to unplug),very few amenities.Was checked into room that was not cleaned,moved me to another.Very noisy as it is on the corner of a very large intersection.Getting in and out of parking lot is tricky.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank surflivermore

Thank you for staying with us at Red Roof Inn Sacramento- Elk Grove. We are sorry to hear that you did not enjoy your stay. We apologize for our staff member's mistake, and are glad to hear it was corrected. We appreciate your comments and feedback and would have liked to have been informed of any problem in your room, so that we could fix it right away. Since our hotel is located near busy streets, we have installed dual-pane windows to reduce noise. Also, since we are an outdoor corridor property, we have security at night for your safety and convenience. We also have a convenient back entrance to our property to help decrease traffic for our guests. We apologize for the unpleasantness of your stay and hope that your next stay with us will be more positive. Thank you and we hope to see you again soon.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Sacramento
Americas Best Value Inn - Sacramento/Elk Grove
Good Nite Inn Sacramento
Good Nite Inn Sacramento
#33 of 82 in Sacramento
Extended Stay America - Sacramento - Elk Grove
Hampton Inn & Suites Sacramento-Elk Grove Laguna I-5
Holiday Inn Express Elk Grove
Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Elk Grove East

Been to Red Roof Inn Sacramento - Elk Grove? Share your experiences!