“Funky in an odor kind of way.”

Courtyard Sacramento Midtown
Ranked #22 of 81 Hotels in Sacramento
Reviewed January 26, 2014

I choose this hotel for it's location, being close to UC Davis Medical Center, and stayed two nights.

Parking was OK I guess although it would have been nice to have some spots reserved for check in, there are reserved spots for restaurant take out. As soon as the lobby door opened I was hit with the smell of stale moist air. Lobby looked clean and modern, but a bit odd having a large open space that included dining tables and a bar. Check in was easy and the desk agent was pleasant.

I got to my room and wow it smelled funky, I was way too tired to try and get another room, luckily after a few minutes my nose was fried enough to not notice anymore (of course I had to repeat the acclimatization every time I left and came back.) The room was clean, decor looked old and worn out. There is a board in the lobby showing details and materials that will be used in a refurbishment this year. The beds were saggy, rutted out and just worn out. The bathroom and closet doors looked oddly out of place. I know it's common in hotels, but to they really have to position giant mirrors so that I can watch myself sitting in bed watching TV? I mean on the ceiling maybe (just kidding.)

The first night was fairly quiet, and I was exhausted so I didn't notice much noise. Day two was totally different. At about 2am hotel staff delivered my receipt under the door, in an attempt to make sure it made it under the door the tossed it through with enough force that it flew up and made enough noise to startle me awake. Then the room next door was either hanging pictures or some other activity that cause an hour or so of banging on the wall, followed by doors opening and closing and people running down the hall. As a result I got to sleep somewhere near 4 and was awoken at 7 by people getting ready for their day, I could actually hear a conversation in an adjacent room.

There isn't really anything in the neighborhood other than the hospitals, a drug store and a fast food place about a half mile away, so plan ahead or use the facilities at the hotel.

Overall it was average, not the worst place I've stayed. The proximity to the hospitals (UC Davis, and Shriners) can't be beat. The hotel could benefit from some adjustments or changes to their air handling system, or just cracking the windows for a few hours.

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled solo
KFinerman, General Manager at Courtyard Sacramento Midtown, responded to this reviewResponded January 28, 2014

Thank you for your review of the Courtyard by Marriott Sacramento Midtown. I appreciate that you took the time to review our property and share your feedback. Our team works hard to have a clean and enjoyable Hotel for all of our guests and I apologize that you were disappointed with your stay - I will share your comments with our management team for future action. Our property will be undergoing a full renovation of all of our guestrooms and hallways starting February 2014, and I am confident that our new guestrooms will meet or exceed your expectations. We hope to welcome you back to the Courtyard Sacramento Midtown and look forward to your feedback on the new rooms!

There are newer reviews for Courtyard Sacramento Midtown

Reviewed December 12, 2013

This Courtyard was one of the better ones I've stayed in. I'm very grateful to Zachary for his excellent service and dinner suggestions. Lobby was beautiful, room clean, and quiet. Situated in the UCDavis area, just 10 minutes from downtown and great restaurants. Would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed December 12, 2013

My wife and I stayed here over Thanksgiving as it was the closest Marriott to US 50 and my wife's family. While we didn't have need of the hospital if you do, this is a perfect place to stay. Getting to the hotel is a bit tricky as you end up going practically in a circle; we ended up coming in the back way. Once we figured it out we ended up turning a block sooner and it was much easier.
The food in the "bistro" was forgettable; we ate breakfast there every morning (no restaurants conveninely located) and it wasn't even free. (Despite the fact it said crisp bacon on the menu, you have to emphasize what crisp bacon actually is to get it crisp, otherwise it's pretty limp.)
As is usually the case with Marriott's, the bed was very comfortable. We had a nice room with a window that opened, always a plus. The lobby was very pleasing and I liked the individual desks for checkin; it felt more personal.
Lastly, I wish they had recycling; I hate throwing my papers away. Supposedly there was aplace near the lobby but I never found it, but somehting in the room would be nice. (Even something easy to find in the lobby would be good.)

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed November 14, 2013

Spent 2 nights here. Location was perfect as it is on the UCD Medical Campus. Right where we needed to be. Staff cheerful, courteous and helpful.Lobby appears to have been recently remodeled/modernized. The room we had could use some attention (bed is "tired, room somewhat dated). Groceries, pharmacy, food nearby. Campus is very nice with lots of open space. Granted our need for a late checkout with no problem. Would not think twice about booking room again.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed November 6, 2013

My wife and I stayed at this hotel from 27 October thru 30 October 2013. We stayed at the hotel because we had a relative in UC Davis Medical Center which is a very short walk from the hotel. The staff is friendly, very professional and provides excellent customer service. The staff in the restaurant are also excellent. The hotel is extremely clean and the Housekeeping staff did an outstanding job keeping our room clean. One of the best hotels that we have stayed at in our travels in the U.S. Without question this is a well managed property. The General Manager and his entire staff are to be commended.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on the 2nd floor
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 27, 2013

This hotel was within walking distance to the clinic I was going to. Finding a parking spot was very challenging. I ate supper at the restaurant 2 times in addition to the free breakfasts. Food was much better than expected. Rooms were consistent with Courtyard properties. Front desk staff was very friendly and helpful.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed October 26, 2013

Very nice place to stay, esp. If you have someone at UC Davis medical center. The staff is great, going out of their way to accommodate any needs. One minute walking distance from the hospital. Since we are not sure if our grandson will be released from the hospital today or tomorrow, the hotel extended our stay on extra night, and if we get the release today, they will not charge us extra. It has been Suchard blessing to have all these helpful people at the Courtyard in our time of need. Thank you and God bless you!

Stayed: October 2013, traveled with family