“Decent Business Stop”

Courtyard Sacramento Midtown
Ranked #20 of 81 Hotels in Sacramento
“Decent Business Stop”
Reviewed November 5, 2011

There is a lot of construction going on in the lobby/ main hotel restaurant. The rooms are average... Mine had some above average stains for a hotel. The beds were very nice. No fridge in my suite. The staff was very friendly and helpful.. So def above average staff... above avg lobby and restaurant... average room... overall not a bad stay.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled on business
CourtyardSacram... M, General Manager at Courtyard Sacramento Midtown, responded to this review, November 16, 2011
Dear Herett,
I really appreciate the kind words regarding our staff service and look forward to sharing your comments with them during our daily meetings. We are getting close to the end of our lobby construction and we all cannot wait for the finished product. We take great pride in ensuring the cleanliness of our rooms is exceptional and are looking forward to getting our rooms renovated in 2012 with latest Courtyard product that includes in-room refrigerators. We currently do have some small refrigerators available upon request that my staff would be happy to deliver to your room on your next visit to Sacramento. Thank you so much for taking the time to post your comments and concerns.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (40)
Milwaukie, Oregon, United States
Reviewed October 29, 2011

Stayed here multiple times over a year period. Each time I found the room clean and hotel functional but the staff remarkably inattentive to detail when I had a problem. I'd ask for a response, they'd say they were fixing it and didn't until I had to ask a second time. (Small things broken in room, teabags in lobby but no hot water dispenser, no soap in room, disturbed in morning to ask when checking out despite assurance that late checkout was OK). The location was close to hospital but if I had another choice I'd stay somewhere else. Not up to usual Marriott standards.

Room Tip: Don't stay on the Stockton Blvd. side of the hotel if you can avoid it. Garbage trucks with loud...
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled on business
Dear WavemamaP,
Thank you so much for taking the time to voice your concerns regarding your stay with us. I believe we spoke at the Mangers reception out by the pool area when you were here. I again would like to apologize for your inconvenience. If I remember correctly you work at night and sleep during the day and I'm sure that can be very difficult, I too would be upset if certain needs are not met. Durring our lobby construction we have added a second coffee/tea station in the mornings to meet the needs of both our in-room guests and outside meeing room guests so that our product doesn't run out so quickly. We currently have in place a Guest Recovery system to ensure all customer requests are complete in a timely manor. Again, thank you for your time and hope that you will be our guest again in the future and experience our beautiful new lobby and Bistro.
Orange County, CA
Reviewed September 19, 2011

We chose the Courtyard by Marriott, Midtown Sacramento due to it's very close proximity to U.C. Davis Medical Center as a family member is a patient there. It's about a block away, easy walking distance as long as the weather is agreeable which it was this weekend. We were able to make last minute reservations for the weekend without any problem and was given a fair rate.

Best parts: The room was comfortable and included an coffee maker, small refrigerator and microwave. Although we booked a double-queen room we were given a studio, normally about $40 more per night. This includes a small pull-out couch as well. The staff is friendly and very helpful. My father, who was also staying at the hotel, had a problem with the room phone and the staff responded immediately. There is a small lounge and restaurant on site with a limit menu but the food is very good and reasonably priced. There is also a Starbucks on site that is opened mornings. The hotel includes a busniess center, exercise room, laundry room, and of course pool and jacuzzi.

Downside: After a long drive from SoCal to Sacramento on Friday we checked in, went over to visit our family member at the hospital, went to dinner, and then went up to the room dog-tired. After turning in for the night the couple in the next room arrived. The walls between must be paper thin as we were privy to their entire conversation (fortunately only that). It was to the point where we ended up turning on our TV to drown them out.We were an end unit so thankfully we didn't get it from both sides. I will say though that our family had five rooms and when I mentioned it the next morning no one else had the problem. So maybe it was just our walls but it was irritating.

Overall a good experience and would recommend this for both business and leisure travelers. Good location, friendly staff, and overall comfortable room. If we go up again we will definitely stay here.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled with family
Vallejo, California
Reviewed August 15, 2011

When booking for this place, opt for the ground floor,'cuz if you stay any floor above the 1st floor, you won't get a rest. The roof top is continuously humming loud.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank cdalangin
Montreal
Reviewed July 31, 2011

I stayed at this hotel when attending a conference in Sacramento. The conference was several miles away at the convention center downtown, but even with a car rental and parking, this hotel was so much more reasonably priced than the hotels near the convention center that staying here made economic sense.

If you're in Sacramento for the medical center, then this is really convenient. If not, the hotel isn't in the center everything, but it was relatively close to highways (not next to the highway, but near) and a short drive downtown with little traffic, even during rush hour. And the parking is free, though guests need to post a sign on their dashboards indicating that they're staying at the hotel.

The hotel itself is nice. The rooms are comfortable like most Courtyards. My room had both a refrigerator and a microwave, which was convenient. After long days at the conference, I appreciated a quick evening meal in my room. Updated electronics and great Internet access in the room.

Like most Courtyards, this one serves coffee in the lobby. But they also serve mini-rolls with the coffee in the morning and cookies in the afternoon. A nice touch.

All in all, a good hotel.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled on business
Riverside, California
Reviewed July 21, 2011

My family and I had a bad experience in another hotel, I mean motel, in "Downtown" Sacramento and checked out of there early. My wife and I have always had great experiences with Marriott hotels, so we decided to try Courtyard by Marriott in Midtown Sacramento. It is still close to the main attactions (no more than 3 miles from any of them) and was on a better side of town. We decided to check out the hotel and the area before we booked a room and we were pleasantly suprised. The hotel is next to UC Davis, Sacramento Campus, amongst all the medical centers. It is so nice to look out the window and see medical professionals and business people as opposed to bums and meth heads. It is so close to the campus that the hotel is actually serviced by the campus police rather than Sacramento Police. Not knocking the Sacramento Police, just assuming the campus police are not as busy and overwhelmed as Sac PD.

My wife checked us in and the receptionist was extremely helpful and friendly. She told us about all the amenities they had, a pool, whirlpool, fitness center, lounge, restaurant, store, room service, complementary coffee and a large lobby with plenty of couches, chairs, books and newspapers. The staff was very accomodating the entire time. She told us they had floatation toys for our baby when we use the pool. They provided us with a portable crib and had it in our room when we arrived complete with bedding. My wife asked if the room had a refrigerator for our baby's milk and the receptionist told her if the room did not have one to call the front desk and they will have one delivered. My wife's favorite part is they provide ice cold lemon water and cucumber water in the lobby. All of this service and amenities cost only $10-30 more than our motel in the ghetto.

There is a restaurant on site called, Bistro Biago. This the where the room service food comes from. Often times on site restaurants increase the prices for convience sake, but the prices at this restaurant/room service are comparable or cheaper than any sit-down style place.

This Marriot, as well as every other Marriot, has several options for discounts. There are Government, State, Military, Law Enforcement, Senior, AAA and I think they have rewards card. If these types of discounts don't work for you ask them what else they have.

HOLY COW!!! It just keeps getting better!!!! My family and I traveled to Sacramento because my University was holding their commencement nearby. My wife told the front desk this and 2 hours after we got in our room a plate of cookies and a card was sent to our room via room service. The card was signed by numerous staff members congratulating me on my graduation. I can not believe Hotels.com gave this hotel 3 stars and our other motel in the ghetto 2 stars. Do not believe the rating system provided by Hotels.com.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
Monterey, California
Reviewed May 12, 2011

I pulled up to check in at 1830 on May 10. There was no parking in the hotel lot. There was however, a cordoned off area with yellow tape of about 20 spots that no one was using. There was no explanation of why guests were not allowed to park there. I circled the lot a few times and decided to park in the red to check in. When i inquired where to park, i was told to find parking on a residential street. When i said that the hotel advertised free parking on their lot, i was told "A lot of people are unhappy about this. I don't know what else to tell you."

I told Jeff, the clerk, that i would look for a spot, and if I couldn't find one then i would go look for somewhere else to stay. After circling the lot for 20 minutes finally a spot opened up, and i parked. I checked in and went to my room. I was sent to room 357, a handicapped room. As i approached the room, there were dirty glasses outside the door of the room, and on the carpet in the bathroom, there were stains on the floor. I was willing to overlook this as i had an early meeting in the hotel in the morning. But when i went into the shower area, the nozzle didn't adjust to a non handicapped persons size and that is when i went to the front desk and asked to be moved. I was very much looking forward to taking a bath, but there was not one of those either in this room.

The female at the front desk told me that your hotel was at full capacity. And i could not be moved. I asked to see the manager and was told "There isn't one on site." I was given a card to address my problems tomorrow. I then went to the business center to see if i could look up my reservation to verify how much i paid for my room. After realizing i paid $180 for my room, the computer locked up. At that point, i headed upstairs. I called Expedia, and asked for their help with getting a refund and just going somewhere else, even though i had wasted an hour so far dealing with this situation.

They were VERY helpful. Suddenly Jeff was calling to offer me a new room. And i was moved. I was also given a breakfast voucher. All of this was a nice gesture, but i should not have had to go through all of that. I wasted my entire evening trying to fix the bad situation that your hotel created. the hotel Manager never called me back and did not respond to my email.

Room Tip: Ask for a non-handicapp room
  • Stayed May 2011, traveled on business
4 Thank 831jen
ygogue, Manager at Courtyard Sacramento Midtown, responded to this review, June 3, 2011
Thank you very much for your feedback, I am terribly sorry that your stay wasn't everything it should have been. This is not the experience I want our guests to have.
I appreciate your detailed notes and I will bring them to the attention of our staff and management. It seems with a little more training on our part, your stay could have been very much improved.
Yvette Gogue