“The Definition of Service” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Courtyard Sacramento Midtown

Courtyard Sacramento Midtown
Ranked #26 of 82 Hotels in Sacramento
Riverside, California
“The Definition of Service”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2011

My family and I had a bad experience in another hotel, I mean motel, in "Downtown" Sacramento and checked out of there early. My wife and I have always had great experiences with Marriott hotels, so we decided to try Courtyard by Marriott in Midtown Sacramento. It is still close to the main attactions (no more than 3 miles from any of them) and was on a better side of town. We decided to check out the hotel and the area before we booked a room and we were pleasantly suprised. The hotel is next to UC Davis, Sacramento Campus, amongst all the medical centers. It is so nice to look out the window and see medical professionals and business people as opposed to bums and meth heads. It is so close to the campus that the hotel is actually serviced by the campus police rather than Sacramento Police. Not knocking the Sacramento Police, just assuming the campus police are not as busy and overwhelmed as Sac PD.

My wife checked us in and the receptionist was extremely helpful and friendly. She told us about all the amenities they had, a pool, whirlpool, fitness center, lounge, restaurant, store, room service, complementary coffee and a large lobby with plenty of couches, chairs, books and newspapers. The staff was very accomodating the entire time. She told us they had floatation toys for our baby when we use the pool. They provided us with a portable crib and had it in our room when we arrived complete with bedding. My wife asked if the room had a refrigerator for our baby's milk and the receptionist told her if the room did not have one to call the front desk and they will have one delivered. My wife's favorite part is they provide ice cold lemon water and cucumber water in the lobby. All of this service and amenities cost only $10-30 more than our motel in the ghetto.

There is a restaurant on site called, Bistro Biago. This the where the room service food comes from. Often times on site restaurants increase the prices for convience sake, but the prices at this restaurant/room service are comparable or cheaper than any sit-down style place.

This Marriot, as well as every other Marriot, has several options for discounts. There are Government, State, Military, Law Enforcement, Senior, AAA and I think they have rewards card. If these types of discounts don't work for you ask them what else they have.

HOLY COW!!! It just keeps getting better!!!! My family and I traveled to Sacramento because my University was holding their commencement nearby. My wife told the front desk this and 2 hours after we got in our room a plate of cookies and a card was sent to our room via room service. The card was signed by numerous staff members congratulating me on my graduation. I can not believe Hotels.com gave this hotel 3 stars and our other motel in the ghetto 2 stars. Do not believe the rating system provided by Hotels.com.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 stars

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (30)
Monterey, California
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 12, 2011

I pulled up to check in at 1830 on May 10. There was no parking in the hotel lot. There was however, a cordoned off area with yellow tape of about 20 spots that no one was using. There was no explanation of why guests were not allowed to park there. I circled the lot a few times and decided to park in the red to check in. When i inquired where to park, i was told to find parking on a residential street. When i said that the hotel advertised free parking on their lot, i was told "A lot of people are unhappy about this. I don't know what else to tell you."

I told Jeff, the clerk, that i would look for a spot, and if I couldn't find one then i would go look for somewhere else to stay. After circling the lot for 20 minutes finally a spot opened up, and i parked. I checked in and went to my room. I was sent to room 357, a handicapped room. As i approached the room, there were dirty glasses outside the door of the room, and on the carpet in the bathroom, there were stains on the floor. I was willing to overlook this as i had an early meeting in the hotel in the morning. But when i went into the shower area, the nozzle didn't adjust to a non handicapped persons size and that is when i went to the front desk and asked to be moved. I was very much looking forward to taking a bath, but there was not one of those either in this room.

The female at the front desk told me that your hotel was at full capacity. And i could not be moved. I asked to see the manager and was told "There isn't one on site." I was given a card to address my problems tomorrow. I then went to the business center to see if i could look up my reservation to verify how much i paid for my room. After realizing i paid $180 for my room, the computer locked up. At that point, i headed upstairs. I called Expedia, and asked for their help with getting a refund and just going somewhere else, even though i had wasted an hour so far dealing with this situation.

They were VERY helpful. Suddenly Jeff was calling to offer me a new room. And i was moved. I was also given a breakfast voucher. All of this was a nice gesture, but i should not have had to go through all of that. I wasted my entire evening trying to fix the bad situation that your hotel created. the hotel Manager never called me back and did not respond to my email.

Room Tip: Ask for a non-handicapp room
  • Stayed May 2011, traveled on business
    • 1 of 5 stars
3 Thank 831jen
ygogue, Manager at Courtyard Sacramento Midtown, responded to this review, June 3, 2011
Thank you very much for your feedback, I am terribly sorry that your stay wasn't everything it should have been. This is not the experience I want our guests to have.
I appreciate your detailed notes and I will bring them to the attention of our staff and management. It seems with a little more training on our part, your stay could have been very much improved.
Yvette Gogue
Courtyard Sacramento Midtown
Elko, Nevada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 9, 2011

I am a hotel SNOB! I am very picky on cleanliness and noise in hotels and the area the hotel is located (safety of vehicle parked over night).

This hotel was very clean, from the lobby, the hallways, elevators, rooms & bathrooms. I have NO comlaints. The area was near the UC Davis Med Center and a Shriner's Hospital and some businesses. I was comfortable (i.e. not worried about leaving the vehicle parked in the parking lot-also a bonus for Sacramento-FREE parking!) Also made for a quieter rm, no Outside: freeway, busy traffic, train, etc... noises!

The hotel was also sold out while we were there, but I did not hear any doors shutting (MANY times before at other hotels-we could hear doors opening & closing--I'm sure just the normal open/close but sounding like slammed doors!) We did not hear any talking through the doors, walls or from people in the hallways walking by.

The previous reviews had me worried about staying at this hotel (booked through priceline name your own....) But, there was NO need for concern. This was a GREAT hotel to stay at and I would again!

Stayed April 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank Mardenz
Washington DC, District of Columbia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 4, 2011

I brought a business conference (@90 ppl) to the Courtyard Midtown. From a meeting organizer’s perspective, I encountered not one problem. Banquet operations delivered efficient and timely services. Staff was friendly and very accommodating. The meeting rooms were prepared on time, and the banquet meals were varied and quite tasty. Location wise, save the UCD Medical Center campus, there are no stores or sites of interest within walking distance. A one-way cab ride from Midtown commercial district to the Courtyard cost me @$25 (airport taxi @$50 each way). I concur somewhat with previous comments regarding noise in the sleeping rooms. Why some people blast the TV at 4am without regard for their sleeping neighbors is beyond me. Otherwise my accommodation at the Courtyard was enjoyable.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled on business
1 Thank ALBinWDC
Lodi, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 24, 2010

Glad I got this room for $50 on Priceline (even though it is nowhere near downtown Sacramento, which is the location I choose), would have been very upset if I would have paid full price. Very thin walls, we had to listen to the people on one side of us partying until 4am and on the other side, a man who snores very loud. Then to top it off we were woke up by the fire alarm at 6:30am and had to evacute into the pouring rain. No fire, someone pulled the alarm. When I checked out, not even an apology from the front desk clerk. Would never stay here again.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 stars
1 Thank ldf1973
Hamburg
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 13, 2010

This marriott is a nice choice however if you want to be in the city center this hotel is not the best choice. We got this hotel over priceline by selecting downtown but to be hones downtown is about 5-10 min drive. Which is just acceptable. But besides the location I can really recommend it.
People at the reception were really friendly and nice.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank tokitz
Lower Hutt
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 24, 2010

We came from New Zealand to go to the US Davis Centre - The Mind Institute, our check -in was very pleasant and quick, necessary documentation, keys etc were ready, as we arrived on a very hot day our AC was on in both rooms. We occupied 1 room and 2 down the corridor our Son with his 21 year old daughter and 11 year old son were in the other room, we were on the 3rd floor. The Internet was very good we had no problems, I must admit the walls seem quite thin we could hear the man next door coughing. The Restaurant had excellent menus we ate there for Breakfast and dinner and were very pleased with the Service and the meals. The Market Place shop in the Lobby was adequately stocked for whatever you required. Our family used the Pool and also the Fitness Centre these were both maintained to a high standard. All Staff were very pleasant and helpful whether it was at the Counter, Cleaning or Restaurant personnel who gave us printed instructions to Arden Mall. All in all a very pleasant stay in Sacramento

• Stayed August 2010, traveled on business