“Peach Cobbler Pancakes were great”
Review of Orphan

Orphan
Ranked #33 of 1,999 Restaurants in Sacramento
Cuisines: American, Cafe
Good for: Kids, Families with children
Dining options: Lunch, Breakfast, Brunch, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Seating, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Elk Grove, California
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Peach Cobbler Pancakes were great”
Reviewed July 13, 2013

My boyfriend and I like to try different, offbeat places and this one fit the bill. We went one Saturday early afternoon (they only serve breakfast on Saturdays, which was fine with us. The place was full but not overly crowded feeling and we were seated right away. Our server asked if we had noticed the specials on the board coming in and we said we had not. She explained them to us and I went with one of them - the peach cobbler pancakes. The peaches that were cooked into the pancakes were extremely fresh and delicious. I was served 3 pancakes as big as the plate. There was no way I could finish all that, even with some help from my boyfriend (he had an avocado egg dish which he said was wonderful. But it was delicious! Although the prices are very reasonable, when we were leaving, I noticed the specials board and there was a one-pancake version of those pancakes as well. Had I known there was that option I would have gone with that. Guess I'll pay attention next time because I'm sure we will be back.

Elk Grove, California
“Bring a Hearty Appetite”
Reviewed June 29, 2013

... and cash because they don't accept credit cards or personal checks. Orphan has a most amazing breakfast menu. Peach pancakes were features - they were huge, sweet and delicious! We also ordered an artichoke scramble and it was well-seasoned, and full of fresh veggies. Wonderful breakfast treat! Orphan takes their coffee seriously, and brews it a cup at a time (which means no refills for you coffee junkies). The coffee was strong served in a huge mug - after all, we didn't need refills anyway. This is a special neighborhood restaurant, tucked away across the street from the Cannery Offices. There's limited outside dining, which was wonderful. Parking is a challenge, but it's worth the hassle. We'll be back!

San Francisco, California
“Bring cash! (Which sucks) But you'll eat well”
Reviewed June 12, 2013 via mobile

Quaint breakfast place in residential McKinley area. It's a place that takes coffee very seriously. Had big cup of an Ethiopian elixir. Ordered the special - peach filled pancake. Delicious and delicate. Side of scrambled eggs. Was ok. Orders them soft but they weren't so its once again hard to get the creamy French style eggs that a world class city like Sacramento should certainly be able to handle. Menu looked inviting but ill be back for sure esp for the Mex dishes.

Being cash please. Is there a moral reason why we can't use plastic?

Cloverdale, California
“You won't feel left out at the Orphan breakfast house!”
Reviewed June 1, 2013

Such a fine experience!
Visiting my daughter, she knew it would be best to take cash and walk as the only draw backs are limited parking and cash/checks only basis (with ATM on the premisis).
While waiting (we asked for whatever was up next inside or out), we ordered coffee all around trying the Columbian and the Brazil. We stood out side and really enjoyed that first cup o'coffee and conversation with others awaiting a table.
Once seated, we noticed the sign offering a free cuppa if you bought a lb. to go. When asked, our waitress(I think Sara) said of course the offer would still hold so each couple bought another cup of their favorite and took a pound of their choice home to savor again at leisure.
And, the food was supreme and arrived quickly despite the crowd. The four of us tried the Eggs Lulu, Roast Beef Hash, Soy Chorizo Breakfast and the Breakfast Burrito. We all made a fuss over the presentation and the vegetarians were as happy as the meat-eaters. I loved the Hash- flat ironed steak not the ground or chopped and what a difference in quality...yum.
Throughout our time there, staff checked on us and made us feel welcomed and well taken care of. I can't wait to eat there again.

• Visited May 2013
“Best breakfast ever”
Reviewed April 8, 2013 via mobile

When I heard of this place I kind of thought it wasnt going to be that great. Its a small restaurant nestled in a neighborhood. Ut man was I wrong. This place is pretty incredible. The food will knock your socks off! I go here for breakfast everytime my family comes into town, and im never disappointed. Ive probably tried just about everything on there menu, yet every time I go there again I would try it all over again. The food is one of a kind. Real fresh ingredients in every bite with tons of flavor. And the staff there is pretty amazing. They are some of the friendliest people ive ever met. And man there coffee and tea is so amazing also. Pretty much everything about this place is top notch, but at a very reasonable rate. Im always happy whwn I go to orphan and will be returning very often. Oh yeah, bring cash because they dont take card.. for me it wasnt a big deal seeing as how they have an atm right in the place.

• Visited February 2013