“Consistently the best food in Sacramento”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Magpie Cafe - MOVED

Magpie Cafe
Cuisines: American, Mediterranean
Dining options: Drinks, Lunch, Brunch, Dinner, Accepts American Express, Accepts Discover, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Delivery, Free Off-Street Parking, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Parking Available, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Street Parking, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible, Wine and Beer
Description: In 2005, Ed Roehr and Janel Inouye started Magpie with a simple idea - that more sustainable food options can be made readily available to the community, and found within the community. Over the years this idea has grown, and so has the Magpie Family. Magpie café is located in the LEED Certified 16 Powerhouse building at 16th and P Streets with a large patio that overlooks Fremont Park. We have a full bar to compliment the wine and beer lists. We offer menus inspired by the fresh, high-quality ingredients available to us seasonally, with an emphasis on those from the Central Valley and Northern California. The casual atmosphere, interesting food and attentive service are what we have come to be known and appreciated for. The Yellow-Billed Magpie is native to the Sacramento area, and is the only bird found solely on the California mainland. It is easily identifiable by its bright yellow bill and contrasting black and white coloration. We aim to be like our namesake bird - familiar, yet unique - a distinctive part of our community.
Berkeley, California
“Consistently the best food in Sacramento”
Reviewed January 3, 2014

Magpie is a great addition to the local restaurant scene and easily my favorite restaurant in Sacramento. They use local, seasonal ingredients and always have something novel on the menu. In my opinion this is one of just four places in Sacramento that can compete with Bay Area dining options.

The menu changes so I can't give a specific recommendation other than to come here and order what appeals to you from the menu. When avaialble they do remarkable things with mushrooms so the mushroom appetizer is highly recommended in season.

• Visited December 2013
3 Thank Retinol13

Sacramento, CA
“Very Good”
Reviewed January 1, 2014

We ate here a few months ago and enjoyed it very much. There is a nice sidewalk dining area and the food is very good quality.
It is a little pricey for the size of portions but the menu is creative and very tasty.

• Visited August 2013
Wausau, Wisconsin
“Fantastic Mac”
Reviewed December 31, 2013

I was in Sacramento for work and we walked from The Sacramento Grand to this lovely, cozy little gem. It had a minimalistic vibe and smelled wonderful as we walked in. I ordered the mac with bacon, brussels sprouts and blue cheese. I'm a weirdo about bacon being mixed into things because it loses its crispiness and I asked them if they could just put the bacon on top, which they did. I think I was there early enough so that request didn't bother them TOO much. Had it been later, not sure! IT.WAS.DELICIOUS. Heaven in a bowl! We went for lunch around 11am and by the time we received our food there was already a line out the door. Go!

• Visited October 2013
1 Thank Heidi G
sacramento
“Great place; but they no longer carry the items I returned for...”
Reviewed December 27, 2013

Loved their chantrelle mushrooms with bean curd on toast at lunch along with their great house Barbera, but sadly these items are no longer on the menu.

• Visited August 2013
Central Coast
“Great place for Sunday breakfast”
Reviewed December 22, 2013

My husband and I had an incredible breakfast this morning. He had the Bacon omelet and I had the Hash of Autumn Vegetables with poached eggs. His omelet was very good and my hash was amazing - the best breakfast entree I have had in a very long time. We had great service and the atmosphere of this cafe is really charming. I highly recommend and we will definitely return on our next visit to Sacramento.

• Visited December 2013