“Great tour”

Midtown Sacramento Arts Tour
Ranked #1 of 19 Food & Drink in Sacramento
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Owner description: Local Roots Food Tours offers food and farm adventures throughout Sacramento and its beautiful valley region. We offer 3 different walking food and cultural tours in Sacramento. Going beyond the big city - our other walking food tour can be found in picturesque Murphys,CA. Murphys Food & Wine Tour explores the Queen of the Sierra - a wonderful mining town with 8 delicious stops including food and wine. Ranked #1 Tour in Sacramento by Trip Advisor. Each tour offers a large variety of tastings (10+), while visiting 6-10 different specialty food shops, artisans, and neighborhood restaurants. All of our tours are offered year-round, last between 3.5 to 4 hours and range between $42 - $70, depending on the tour. The tours focus on F.L.O.S.S. (fresh, local, organic, seasonal, and sustainable) foods and beverages. Enough food is served on each tour that most guests consider it a meal. Savor, learn, explore and connect to some amazing communities and their culinary dishes.
Useful Information: Activities for older children, Wheelchair access, Food available for purchase, Bathroom facilities
Reviewed May 7, 2014

We had a great time on this tour. Food was great and our guide was informative and friendly. We didn't know what to expect and were pleasantly surprised. What a relaxing way to spend a Saturday afternoon.

LocalRootsFoodTours, Owner at Local Roots Food Tours, responded to this reviewResponded June 3, 2014

We love "pleasantly surprising" all our tour guest with what we have to offer on each of our walking food tours. Thank you for taking the time to share your experience with us. We appreciate your business.

All reviews
in 7 reviews
"gems"
in 6 reviews

Reviewed May 4, 2014 via mobile

I was only on our second stop and realized I wanted to do this again when my family visits!

Several stops- food and wine. Both delicious.

We did get behind schedule but everyone was accommodating and nobody felt rushed to hurry at any stop.

LocalRootsFoodTours, Owner at Local Roots Food Tours, responded to this reviewResponded May 5, 2014

Thank you for taking the time to share your Murphys Food & Wine Tour experience in a five star review. Thrilled knowing your first food tour experience was all it could be and now you want your family to experience it with you on another food tour. We love your enthusiasm! We look forward to hosting you and your family in the near future.

Reviewed May 3, 2014

I didn't expect to be forced to stop and listen to what amounted to marketing spiels for local businesses that were clearly not part of the tour as promoted--it was very annoying, especially since it was supposedly food and art that were to be experienced. Some of the food venues were nice but a few were not that interesting, especially the vegan and gluten free bakery. That is definitely not for everybody and the offering tasted like chocolate sawdust. Also, sampling Port at 2:45 in the afternoon is very odd even though the shop was very nice. Didn't love the street art, which can often be interesting, but most of this was just glorified graffiti--not particularly well conceived in most cases. Again, if I would have known this was part of the tour, I would not have bought the ticket--it was a gift for my husband who was clearly bored by the whole experience.

Thank you for taking the time to leave your review. I was sorry to read that you felt the tour was not what you were expecting. We try very hard to describe our tours the best we can for our potential ticket buyers and have never had anyone in 3 years of guiding tours make a comment that they felt forced to stop and listen to a tour guide - that is why most people buy a ticket to come on a guided tour - to listen to the trained tour guide's commentary. We love what we do. We love the community we live in and try sharing our enthusiasm with our tour participants with establishments that do a great job being who they are in our great city. Urban art on our tours is mural art, which is clearly stated on our website. Some very unique and interesting stories lie behind the work that went into the local artists murals and we love sharing those stories. Its what makes up the uniqueness about Midtown and its art scene. I am sorry to hear your husband was completely bored with the tour and all its offerings of 6 food stops while meeting some local chefs and owners as well as learning unique stories about Midtown's urban art scene in the hidden alleyways. We strive for the very best on every single tour we offer and we apologize for not meeting your expectations.

Reviewed April 22, 2014

I gave the Local Roots Food Tour as a Christmas present to my mother. I thought it would be a fun way for us to spend a day together, and experience some of the great food offered in Sacramento.
I did a little research before purchasing the tours to see if my mother could handle it, as she is a young 80 years old. The route was flat, restrooms available at each stop, and though we walked a fair amount, distances were short between stops. She was a little worried about whether she could keep up, but as it turned out, we were able to walk at a leisurely pace and we had no problem staying with the group.
Our tour guide, Joelle, was great. She was fun to talk to, and shared a wealth of information about each restaurant and chef in an interesting way. As we walked to our next location, she would share information about the area, frequently stopping the group to point out interesting facts about local features.
The food was fantastic. Good portions, served promptly, and delicious. The variety of different cuisines and restaurants/cafes was well organized. What I enjoyed the most was hearing about each chef and/or owner’s personal story, and how the passion for what they did meant so much to them.
After the tour: My mother had such a great time, she kept mentioning it, and thanking me for such a great day. I loved it because I got to spend the day eating and learning, two of my favorite activities! And now I’ll get to go back and eat at some great places that I new nothing about before the tour.

We appreciate your feedback and happy knowing you and your mother had a great day with Local Roots Food Tours. Thank you for business and taking a chance to experience a food tour in Sacramento. We hope you will come along for another tour soon!

See more reviews
Reviewed April 20, 2014

My husband and I moved to the Sacramento area two years ago and we were looking for something fun to do in our new community. This was the perfect afternoon adventure! Loved this tour!

Joelle was our guide on the Local Roots Urban Art Food & Libations Walking Tour. She was very personable and knowledgeable about the Sacramento Midtown area. We visited 5 restaurants, a port & wine tasting room and the community theater. The restaurants served delicious and generous portions! Many had the owner and/or chef speak directly to our tour group of 12. As we walked from restaurant to restaurant, Joelle walked us through alleyways in Midtown and showed us so many of the artworks painted directly on walls, buildings, fences, etc. Joelle shared an in depth knowledge about each artist which really made an impression as you looked at the beautiful mural details.

Overall, the tour was excellent! My husband and I look forward to another Local Roots Tour sometime soon. We will also be back to Sacramento Midtown to the restaurants we visited! We also know more about the local theater and are excited to see their new upcoming schedule.

My only suggestion is to plan enough time prior to your tour to find parking in Midtown.

An adventure indeed! We are thrilled knowing we showed you and your spouse some great food and history to your new environment in Sacramento. We love reading our Urban Art Food & Libations Tour was an excellent experience for you both and you left feeling happy and full. Let's share another foodie adventure together in another pocket of Sacramento soon! Thanks for taking the time to leave your review.