“Way overrated ”

Raging Waters
Ranked #135 of 188 things to do in Sacramento
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: Raging Waters is Sacramento’s Largest Family Waterpark. Located in the heart of Cal Expo, home of the CA State Fair, Raging Waters has been a landmark in the community since 1986. With over 25 exhilarating water attractions, this family centric location offers a fun and exciting day for guests each season. Popular attractions include: Cliffhanger Speed Slides, Hurricane Bay, Splashdown, Shark Attack Waterslide Complex, Breaker Beach Wave Pool, Calypso Cooler Lazy River and Treehouse Reef! Live For Summer at Raging Waters!
Reviewed July 25, 2017 via mobile

This place was extremely expensive for what was offered. The lines were super long and it took 40 minutes in line to go down one slide. We went on a Monday. I can't imagine what the weekend is like. It cost 15.00 to park. Food is outrageous and the cabana we rented was a joke. It was tucked into a corner and we had to walk a long way to even get to the wave pool. The place was far from clean. Definitely a bit run down. The young staff at the park work hard at trying to be helpful. They were the saving grace of the day. Do yourself a favor and go somewhere else to enjoy a pool. This place lacks a lot and in my opinion is overpriced and over rated. We won't ever go back.

3  Thank Allison C

Reviewed July 19, 2017

We bought season passes because it was the same price online as a single entry. We had a cabana and that part was great. A customer rep came by every 45 minutes to check on us and refresh our water or take food orders for us and deliver food to us. That part was nice and the privacy of it was nice. We enjoyed the water slides, but know that they are all mid grade thrill level slides. We very much enjoyed the Lazy River and the wave pool. The wave pool was especially good for the kids. The Lazy River was definitely my kind of thing but it was shut down several times for sanitation issues. They have a few different types of snack bars and food places to choose from including an express Carl's Jr. We plan to go back again soon to get a better idea of if we want to renew our passes next year. Parking is $10 cash only so be aware of that. This time we will go and not get a cabana just to see how different the experience is without one because the Cabana rentals are not cheap.

1  Thank Ashley C
Reviewed June 10, 2017

This is the longest review I've ever written, but you all deserve to hear of my entire experience! I was super excited to go to the water-park on Memorial day, but much to my disappointment, it was a terrible experience.. From moment ONE when pulling in the parking lot, we were told we had to leave the parking lot to go find an ATM since we didn't have cash.. Got cash, came back, parked and went through security where they checked my bag, they saw that I had a Bluetooth speaker, the security guard said that it was fine, but to keep it down, no problem I said. I got into the park, asked a few different people, found the lockers, paid $15 for a locker, grabbed my wallet and speaker and headed for the wave pool. On the way I stopped a lady and asked where the restrooms were, her exact words to me were "Aren't there some behind you"? I said "I don't know, that's why I asked you, you work here" She then replied, "oh, I don't know, I'm new, but there should be some behind you by the lockers".... I kept walking, passed a lady carrying a hand full of beers we asked where they came from, she told us “By the pizza place” and then proceeded to strongly recommend that we get the souvenir cup because all refills are less expensive, we found the bar, literally down the stairs back behind the building, no view, no sun, no people, no water.. At the bar the "bartender" also recommended the souvenir cup, we said okay as he was filling them we were talking with him about the lazy river and being so excited to be at the water park on such a sunny warm day, etc. we got our beers, turned to leave and he said "Nope, you can't leave here with those".. I said what? He then informed us, after we had already paid $28 for 2 beers, that we couldn't leave this down the stairs back behind the building, no view, no sun, no people, no water area with our drinks.. That we had to stay there and drink them.. I said to him, why didn’t you tell us that before we ordered them when you knew that we were planning to take them to the pool.. He literally just shook his head and said "you can't leave".. So we chugged the beer and got out of there to go have some fun. Walked into the wave pool with the speaker on very low, and walked over to the edge of the pool and sat down, we were then whistled at very loudly and rudely by the lifeguard to get off the edge, we looked around and though surely they're not yelling at us, and kept talking, they again blew the whistle and yelled, "You two, get off the edge of the pool and turn that speaker off".. We were so shocked I said "Are you talking to us"? the lifeguard responded “yes”!, so we got off the edge of the pool, and I asked why I had to turn off my speaker and they said there was no outside music allowed, I responded that I had been told that I could have it as long as it was low, the lifeguard proceeded to tell me that I was wrong, that there was no outside music and whoever told me that “must not know the park policy”.. Keep in mind that it was the security guard at the entrance....We then got out of the pool (after having only been in for 32 seconds to go put the speaker back in the locker since we couldn't use it, we then couldn't get back in the locker... We were locked out.. I had to walk around to find someone, anyone, who worked there to help, finally found someone who had to call someone else that took 17 minutes to get there..! So we were just standing there.. Waiting.. The guy got there with a key and we had to move lockers 5 times to get one that would work!!! 5 times!! Over 30 minutes of just standing there and trying out locker after locker... Finally got one that worked, after being at the park for over an hour and a half we said lets finally get in the water, we decide to try out a waterside first, we waited in line and when we get to the attendant, he says to us "you have to go get an inner tube" ... I said what do you mean, this is a waterside, don't you all have them here, he said no you have to rent them.. I said you mean I have to pay to ride the ride that I've already paid to ride with my admission to the park?.. He said “no, the ride is free, it's the inner tube that you have to pay for”.. I said “so you're telling me that I can ride the ride without the inner tube?” He said "no", “so you're telling me that I have to pay for an inner tube to ride a ride that I’ve already paid to ride when I paid to come in the park”..... He then said “Yes”.... Not happening!.. I go over to the inner tube rental booth and told them how ridiculous it was that I had to pay for an inner tube to ride a ride, and they just shook their heads and said it was policy... SO there's another hour that we were STILL not in the water at the water park...We found a ride that we could do without an inner tube and rode that a couple of times and then deiced that we had enough and were going to grab a pizza and leave. We got to the pizza place and asked if we could take the pizza down to the bar and eat while we drank a beer since we had already purchased these souvenir cups and hadn't been able to use them, they said "definitely, we can’t bring the pizza to you, but when it's finished you can take it down there", we said great, we'll order the pizza, go down and have a drink while we wait and then come back up and grab the pizza. We ordered, paid, and headed down those dreaded back steps to the bar, when get there and the bar is closed with the bartender stocking the beer cooler.. I asked “what’s going on” he said "we're closed" I said, wait we were just told that we could order a pizza and eat it down here.. He said, "you can't, we're closed".. "But we were JUST told that we could" he then said "whoever took our order must not know the bar policy, we close one hour before the park".. What is it with this saying of "they must not know the policy?! That’s a terrible excuse....By this point I had enough, I went to find a manager, I had to re-tell this whole story to three different people!! So ridiculous... I explained to them that I had purchased the season pass online and that all I wanted was a refund of the difference in a day pass and the season pass because I would never be coming back, and the final lady I spoke with said to me I'm sorry you had a bad experience, but technically since there were only two people in your party there isn’t discounted day pass… All I can offer you is a cabana for next time.. I said to her, there won't be a next time, I will not be returning, I want a refund not a cabana.. She said that's all she could do for me.. Then her solution was “well, why don't you just give me your season passes and we'll call it good”.. Are you kidding me..... I pay for the passes, have a terrible experience and then I just give them back to you without a refund... What? Absolutely not.. She then said that she would get her manager, a 4th person!!.... about 15 minutes later she walks back out and says that her manager is too busy to speak with me and gave me a business card....... Mariana Zorrilla. She's too busy to speak with an extremely unhappy guest.. Yes ma’am... She promised me "Mariana will call you, probably not tomorrow, because that's her day off, but probably by Wednesday" Seriously.. I said “So you're telling me that I had a terrible experience and no one cares and no one is ever going to call me”.. "No I promise, Mariana will call you by Wednesday for sure"… It’s been 12 days and I've never received one single phone call from these people.. This was the worst experience I've ever had customer service wise.... No one knew their job or their "Policies" or how to handle anything it seemed.. So ridiculous, so here I've got two season passes that I'll never use and never get a refund for.. Awful… Just Awful…

15  Thank Kendra B
Reviewed June 2, 2017

Diana, the birthday coordinator, and Kady, the server at Shipwreck Reef cabanas, are the main reasons why I'm leaving a positive review. They were both friendly and professional. Diana made us feel like we were back in Hawaii. She just has that island vibe (even if she wasn't wearing a tropical shirt). :-)

Diana greeted us at the entrance and Kady walked us to our "VIP cabana". One of them gave us our birthday wristbands, so we could get past the velvet ropes. J/K, there was a normal rope to separate our area. They both did a great job making sure we had everything we needed. There was also a third employee, I forgot his name, who also checked in on us a couple of times.

We all agreed that we had the best spot, right in front of the lazy river, and it almost felt like we were on a private island. The shade, mini-fridge, and fan were nice extras.

The only reason I didn't give the highest rating is because, as others have already mentioned, this place needs general cleaning. I didn't mind wiping some dirt and bird poop off of the lounge chairs. And yes, there's dirt on top of the enclosed slides, but not inside. No one's going to sit on top of the tube, so no worries. It would help to see this place cleaned up, but it shouldn't stop you from going and having a fun time.

Our kids had fun, that's all that matters. The food, pizza, chicken tenders, fries, and birthday cake, were good - actually better than expected.

If you don't book a cabana, the pizza's are about $40. If you book a cabana and order from your personal server, you only pay $25.00. You pay more for the "VIP experience" but it's worth it!

Thank you, Diana and Kady! Great job, ladies. We'll be back. :-)

2  Thank Melissa D