“Worst experience with a water park I have ever had”
Review of Raging Waters

Raging Waters
Ranked #111 of 143 things to do in Sacramento
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: Raging Waters is Sacramento’s Largest Family Waterpark. Located in the heart of Cal Expo, home of the CA State Fair, Raging Waters has been a landmark in the community since 1986. With over 25 exhilarating water attractions, this family centric location offers a fun and exciting day for guests each season. Popular attractions include: Cliffhanger Speed Slides, Hurricane Bay, Splashdown, Shark Attack Waterslide Complex, Breaker Beach Wave Pool, Calypso Cooler Lazy River and Treehouse Reef! Live For Summer at Raging Waters!
Reviewed July 12, 2013

Never, EVER go to Raging Waters at Cal Expo. ESPECIALLY if it is for a birthday party. I paid $357.00 for my son to have a birthday there and it started out great. We had 13 people in our group including 4 adults. We had our own private area free pizza and all the drinks we could possibly want, they even upgraded us to a cabana which would normally be an extra $96.00. All the kids go running around and go on all the rides INCLUDING MY SON. All the rides they are going on have a height requirement of 48" and they let him on all day long. Well, when I decide to wait in line with him and he gets up to the front (he is ahead of me because he wants to ride alone) they send him back. When I see him, he is crying and says they won't let him ride the rides because he's too short. He had already gone on these very same rides all day long prior to this. I tell him to wait in line with me and when we get up there she says "I'm sorry, he can't ride. He's not tall enough." I explain the situation to her, that it's his birthday, he has already been on this ride multiple times today, that it's his favorite ride and she tells me she'll have to call her supervisor. Mind you he is LESS THAN 1/2 AN INCH UNDER THE 48" MARK. The supervisor shows up, I go through the whole process all over again and they measure him and say I'll have to get my supervisor. The next supervisor shows up and does the same thing all over again, "I'll have to get my manager" Manager shows up and we go through the whole process again. At this point I'm furious because not only is my son crying on his birthday due to no fault of his own but now I keep getting passed off to the next person. This manager tells me the same thing that he can't ride the ride because of the manufacturers specifications of the ride. I said that he had already been on the ride multiple times today and that it hasn't been a problem until now. His response was, "Well, yes but, now we know he isn't tall enough so we can't let him ride. That would be like breaking the law, getting away with it and then going to the police and saying hey, I broke the law once before and got away with it so can I do it again. This is the United States, we can't just go changing manufacturers specifications" At some point during the conversation he gives me an excuse as to why he had slipped through the cracks and was allowed in, he said, "I take who I can get and you can't always find reliable 16 year olds." That makes me feel really safe with my kids going on these rides now. I said all he was doing was repeating himself and not offering anything to try to remedy the situation. He told me that I wasn't letting him finish so I hadn't given him a chance to offer me anything. I let him finish, he still didn't offer me OR my son anything and NOT ONCE apologized to my son who was standing next to me the whole time. I asked him what he was going to do to make my son happy and said he could give him a slushie. A $2 SLUSHIE FOR MY $357 I PAID FOR MY SON TO HAVE A GREAT BIRTHDAY!? I expressed my extreme dislike in this response and he asked what I would like. I asked for a refund because at this point, I want nothing more to do with this place. He says he can give me a full refund and I ask if they are going to kick us out right away because we were there with a big group that was scattered everywhere. He said, "Well usually when someone wants a full refund they want to leave right away but you can stay and get your refund when you leave." During the entirety of our conversation he has a smirk on his face which is even more infuriating. I take my son to the wave pool and the lazy river because I will not leave there without a smile on my son's face. We left about 30 minutes after the incident so we didn't even really stay any longer, just long enough to get everyone together and let my son have a little bit of fun to make him happy again. When I go to the window to get my refund I'm given a business card and told that the person who has to handle my refund has left for the day and to give them a call and they will email me to set up the refund when they get back in. I ask to speak with ANOTHER manager. He comes out and I explain everything all over again. He took my receipt and proceeded to issue me a full refund. He did not seem happy at all but he seemed shocked at some of the things I told him his other supervisor had said to me. I even told him that if they had told my son from the get go that he couldn't ride the rides because he was too short that we wouldn't be having this conversation and that I wouldn't be asking for a refund. Those are the rules, safety guidelines, I understand that and would not have argued the point. But you can't just let a child ride the rides all day long so he see how fun they are and then tell him no because he is too short and that he now has to stick to the kiddie rides. You don't do that to a child.

13  Thank Adona A

Reviewed July 3, 2013

I've seen a lot of complaints in the reviews and I've been to raging waters twice this year and already plan to go much more before the year is out. The park is great and the life guards, while annoying, are only doing their jobs and keeping people safe. Every time I've been it's been very clean and the water feels nice. The only real issue is the parking price and your better off getting a season pass. It's cheaper in the long run if you plan to go more then two or three times in a year. The food, while not the "BEST", is way better than mcdonalds. :/ But that's my opinion. The park is great there's about 9 slides a lazy river a kiddy pool and a wave pool all of which are not broken and work great. my only other advice is to make sure you know everyone's weight before going the rides have a weight limit and the lightest is in the front.

7  Thank Ran C
Reviewed June 15, 2013

Raging Waters was a great place to beat the heat. The season pass is well worth it. Get there early or parking and finding a plot of land to dry out on becomes impossible.

2  Thank pd2div
Reviewed June 3, 2013

I have not been to many water parks before and my visit to this park last year left me unimpressed. I had a nice time but I think I was expecting more, especially with a name like "Raging Waters". The season pass is a good buy so each visit is not too expensive but the parking hurts at $10 a pop. Seems it's better to have a friend drop you off or to take a bus after parking the car on a local street. The lockers are a good idea so you don't have to carry around items you want to stay dry. This season I might try a different water park just to see what's out there but I hate driving outside the city or long distances if I can avoid it. For a local attraction, the park it's bad. Everyone I saw there looked like they were enjoying themselves very much. It's our very own "Soaktown water park".

4  Thank Sabitron