“First timers at lounge on20”
Review of Lounge On 20 - CLOSED

Lounge On 20
Cuisines: American
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: 20th & K
“First timers at lounge on20”
Reviewed February 29, 2012

We read a lot about this restaurant. Had to try it. Made reservations and arrived at 6 pm,. Asked to sit at the bar. Greeted by Josh the bartender. He was very friendly and made me a great Kettle one martini on the rocks. My wife had a glass of Pinot noir. We started with the fried Mac & cheese, which my wife really enjoyed. After talking with Josh, we were greeted by the two main chefs, Pajo Bruich and Mike Ward. Pajo was recently invited to cook with Thomas Keller and Cindy Pawlcyn at an event in Napa Ca scheduled for May 2012. After meeting the two chefs, we tried many more dishes. The cheese plate had a great selection of tasty cheeses. The Charcuterie plate of house cured and smoked meats was a great compliment to the cheeses. I really enjoyed all of the meats, especially the smoked duck liver and the beef tongue. We also ordered the pork belly confit which was very good. My wife needed to eat some vegetables so Pajo prepared a Brussels sprout with pancetta diah. It was very good. For dessert my wife ordered the Valrhona dark chocolate creameaux. Everything we ordered was great! It was like a Napa restaurant. It's a must try!!!

Happy Valley, Oregon
“Some Real Hits and Some Clear Misses”
Reviewed August 19, 2011

My husband and I joined our best friends for dinner early on a Thursday night. The restaurant and bar were not busy, but despite this, the service was incredibly slow! Ten minutes for a glass of wine? Please! When the crowd picked up from the handful that were there when we arrived to a couple of dozen, our waiter warned that the kitchen was now 'slammed' and we would be waiting for our food. In a place sized to hold 150 people, we hate to think about how long people wait when the place is busy!

All this said, most of the food was a hit! The small plates cuisine is intricately prepared and a lot of plating style goes into each dish. The charcuterie was a thing of beauty and it tasted out of this world! The baby beets plate was full of complex flavor, pairing raspberries and goat cheese with walnuts and other rich flavors. The ricotta gnocchi melts in your mouth (even if it needed salt, not available on the table)!

Advice: Plan to spend some time because I don’t think you can count on service being timely or swift, even if you beat the crowd. If you have four people at your table and you plan to share plates four ways, ask the server to have the kitchen make sure that the plate has four servings available! (We had to split some of the meats on the charcuterie plate because some selections had four pieces and some three!) If you think you’d like another drink in 10 minutes, order it right away! And if you would like to indulge in conversation, make sure to ask if it’s live music night, because it’s very hard to talk over the band!

• Visited August 2011
Sacramento, California
“The best food in midtown hands down!!”
Reviewed June 29, 2011

If you have ir have not heard of molecular gastronomy you are in for a treat. The chef is a genius at blending flavors and using molecular technique to get more bang out of every bite. From the oyster appetizer to the arctic char and unbelievably great desserts there is no wrong choice here. I am a little afraid to spread the word because I want to be able to get a table. The tasting dinner they offer from time to time is pricey but worth it for a special occasion. My only caveat is to dine early on weekends because after nine it starts to turn into a nightclub which kind of ruins the ambience of such a spectacular dining experience.