“Great place to train”

American River Bicycle Trail
Ranked #4 of 173 things to do in Sacramento
More attraction details
Owner description: Part of the American Discovery Trail, this path is exclusively for non-motorized use, and it extends throughout the city.
Reviewed October 19, 2013

I have used the American River Bike Trail for nearly 10 years now, and it plays an integral role in my training. I have used it for both running and biking, and I've participated in several running events here as well. It is well-paved and maintained for cyclists. As a runner you can chose to run on the pavement or go off road. There are portions of the trail that are flat, but a lot of small rolling hills as well. Although there are light days where there is minimal traffic, there is rarely a time where your alone. It can be heavy with fellow participants during the weekend; however, this doesn't bother me as I feed off other's energy. I have come across wild turkey, deer and a coyote. The chipmunks can be a bit of an annoyance for cyclists during the spring time. My only complaint is, that as a runner, I would appreciate cyclists avoiding the inclination to ride side by side instead of single file. This causes tight situations to occur in which I've been "shoved" off the trail and nearly hit. Other than these smug cyclists who think they are the next heir apparent to Lance Armstrong, it's a great place to train.

Reviewed October 2, 2013

Mid-morning, weekdays in late September found a lot of people using the trail. We first accessed the trail using Arden Way. Had to pay to park. That was fine considering the availability of well maintained restrooms and relatively safe parking. I do my best to avoid trails like this during peak usage periods because I find too many of the cyclists to be inconsiderate of we riders that are older and slower and actually look like we could do a push-up or two. I definitely anticipate problems to avoid them and was pleasantly surprised. One thing that helps is that runners are encouraged to run against the bike traffic on the dirt next to the trail. That is exactly where I would have run if I still ran. There are a lot of blind curves on this beautiful trail that could potentially be dangerous when the trail is crowded. Came across 8 deer on one ride in this area. Later we accessed the trail off of Pennsylvania, not realizing this area is not really part of the bike path, and very popular with older pedestrians. We quickly addressed this and got to the other side of the river. Even more scenic with lots of oak. Even saw wild turkeys. During our two week visit, we were pleasantly surprised at how well the cyclists adhered to the rules of the road, making this extremely beautiful trail a pleasure for the recreational bike rider.

Reviewed September 25, 2013

We biked from across the street from the folsom outlet stores to old town Sacramento. There were plenty of rest and water stops along the trail. For the most part the trail was wide and allowed for two way traffic safely. It was a little narrow near the aquatic center and closer to old town. We purchased a good map at a bike store in old town.

Reviewed September 18, 2013

I'm a runner, not a cyclist...so it was tough to find room to run, and all of the cyclists fly by with little regard to runners. Nicely shaded and scenic overviews, easily one of my favorite running spots. Beware of thorns!

Reviewed September 3, 2013

it was a nice easy ride for all, very pretty shade & sun some was next to the water felt safe you could go on different paths so you could go to different ones
really enjoyed the day