“Love the American River Parkway”

American River Bicycle Trail
Ranked #8 of 181 things to do in Sacramento
More attraction details
Owner description: Part of the American Discovery Trail, this path is exclusively for non-motorized use, and it extends throughout the city.
Reviewed October 18, 2012

The Trial is incredible. Near downtown Sacramento there are some homeless camps, but I have never had a problem with that. I love that I can leave my place near downtown Sac, ride all the way to Folsom with out having to stop. If you want to stop, there are plenty of places to eat, get a beer, or take a swim. It does get more scenic the closer you get to Folsom.

1  Thank California_Guy2
"both sides"
"light rail"
in 12 reviews

Reviewed October 14, 2012

We try to bike the American River Parkway at least twice a month, and have been doing so for years. We tend to park near REI, the college or the Watt entrance because miles 4-30 are our favorites. Seems the closer one rides to Folsum the more smiles and greeting you get from other riders. Below mile 4 hardly anyone says hello and it is a sketchy area. We have biked the parkway one way and used the light rail to get back to our car. We have seen as many as 14 deer on a ride, removed rattlesnakes off the trail twice, love watching the salmon run in Oct-December. Only problem that has ever occurred is my husband was hit by a slingshot once. Lots of wonderful people use the parkway but it is not overused like the bike trail I took in Seattle once, that was congested. We have seen an increase in use of the bike trail by bikers, walkers, joggers and an occasional skater. We try not to use it on weekends preferring the quietness of weekdays. Great birding, biking and there are many access points. We even did a stayvacation and took a niece and 3 nephews for three days of riding (ages 7-11), swimming and hiking...they did 37 miles one day and I will always be beholden to a bikehiker who stopped and asked them how far they were riding then nearly fell over when they said we were on mile 30 and still had more miles to go. He made them feel so proud of themselves. It is great for children to ride but make sure to have them follow the rules. most bikers are careful and mindful that children may be riding but a few riders go way to fast for a bike trail.

1  Thank maryspond
Reviewed October 11, 2012

32 mile paved trail runs from Old Sacramento to Folsom Lake. Many entry points and intersects several major roads. There are port a johns and some drinking fountains also along this trail. Just a few words of caution - occasionally there are some more serious bikers who are going too fast so if you are biking with young kids and moving more slowly, keep a look out. Also, there are some parts of this trail that may not be that safe for women to ride by themselves. I don't mean to sound paranoid or make it seem like you are riding through a slum, but I am just being honest. I would not want my wife riding by herself through some parts of this trail especially when there are fewer people around (weekdays during the day?). Here is weblink for more info -

Reviewed October 9, 2012

I still feel safe here during the day. The trail is paved and great for walkers, joggers and bike riders. Unfortunately near the downtown, more homeless people seem to camp.

4  Thank Yvonne0