“love this bike trail”

American River Parkway
Ranked #13 of 168 things to do in Sacramento
More attraction details
Owner description: A picturesque 23-mile stretch of land along the American River that offers visitors wonderful scenic beauty.
Lakewood, California
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 4 helpful votes
“love this bike trail”
Reviewed March 25, 2013

It goes through the city along the American bike trail and besides the paved trail, you see very little of the urban environment for most of the trail. It rides very well.

Visited March 2013
1 Thank Rob1301967

California
38 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 27 helpful votes
“drinking fountains for dogs”
Reviewed March 14, 2013

thank you Sacramento for thinking of our four legged friends. The drinking fountains have a bowl on the ground that you can fill up for your pooch...how great

Oh yeah, the walk was lovely, the people in Sacramento were very friendly and the views were worth the brisk walk.

Visited February 2013
Rancho Cordova, California
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 5 helpful votes
“The best thing in the greater Sacramento area”
Reviewed February 28, 2013

To say I visited in Feb 2013 is a joke, because I am pretty sure I have visited the parkway every month for the last decade at least. It is that lovely. When we bought a house a while back, promximity to the parkway was a major deciding factor, because we wanted to be able to have quick access to such a great treasure. From our house, we pass maybe 9 houses before we're on the trail, and within a few feet it feels like we're almost totally removed from suburbia--deer grazing, birds singing, fresh air, wild plants... it is a treasure.

Visited February 2013
3 Thank JF_in_Cali
Sacramento, California
5 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 5 helpful votes
“Nature in the City”
Reviewed January 24, 2013

I have been visiting the Parkway for many, many years. It's a great place to run, bike or walk. The area more east of Sacramento is my favorite as the area more toward Cal Expo & Old Town can have a 'certain' element wandering around. If you have to go alone, of course it's common sense to go during the busier times when there are lots of people about. I've been on all stretches of this 28+ mile trail many, many times & have never had any difficulties. I have biked, jogged & walked. The parkway is FULL of wildlife; deer, fox, coyote & yes, an occasional mountain lion. I have a friend who was running & surprised a young mountain lion near the William B. Pond area. They were both surprised & departed quickly in opposite directions. Most people will not see much wildlife because they stay on the trail, make lots of noise & don't really look. I have also seen rattlesnakes, more up toward the Folsom end of the trail. It's how I educated my son to tell the difference between a rattlesnake & a gopher snake. Rattlesnakes are very, very shy & will retreat if given the opportunity. Just be mindful if you leave the trail that you can see where you are walking. I've seen people tromping around in tall grass right after a rattlesnake passed that way. Oblivious. All that said: those incidents are a blip in 30+ years of interactioin with the trail. Tiny, tiny chance of them happening to you, but still good to be aware. If your lucky, during the fall, you will see some gorgeous, mature bucks (I'm talking deer, people.) who come down from the hills to woo the ladies. It's very fun. Right in our own back yard!

Visited February 2012
2 Thank lovethewest_cowgirl
Sacramento, CA, USA
58 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 46 helpful votes
“"Southern Charm" feel in Sacramento!”
Reviewed January 16, 2013

While the Sacramento politicians and developers haven't figured out the marketability of the place, you and I get to benefit from their ignorance! Low crowds, so very easy to get onto the Parkway with even small children and stroll and look at the flora and fauna..

Visited September 2012