“Great collection of old and muscle cars”

California Automobile Museum
Ranked #8 of 168 things to do in Sacramento
More attraction details
Owner description: The mission of the California Automobile Museum is to educate and entertain while preserving and promoting the automobile and its influence on our lives. The Museum is open daily from 10am - 6pm (last admission 5pm) and every 3rd Thursday until 9pm.
Los Angeles
24 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 106 helpful votes
“Great collection of old and muscle cars”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 25, 2013

I like a varied auto collection, and they have both old, new, muscle and racing cars on display here. It’s not a huge collection, but well worth an hour or two to see.

I especially loved the collection of micro cars. I took my picture with the ‘Trojan’ mini car. Although driving this car would guarantee you would not be able to get a date…

We visited on a weekday, and there was many knowledgeable docents wandering around. They added to the information displayed and were pleasant to talk with.

The collection is in an old warehouse, so I would image visiting on a very hot day would be a little toasty. They are planning on building a new building, so I wish them luck.

1 Thank Nomad_LA

Saint George, Utah, United States
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 8 helpful votes
“Hubby's Pick”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 25, 2013

My husband saw this as one of the best "Things to Do" on tripadvisor and wanted to check it out. It was fairly interesting. I was not as into it as my husband and his brother, but they enjoyed it. They had a really cute exhibit dedicated to Micro-cars. We spent about 2 hours walking around. Large collection of vehicles from all different eras. There are fun facts about every vehicle there.

1 Thank Marci J
California
8 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 22 helpful votes
“Nice Collection & Near Old Town”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 16, 2013

Nice collection of turn of the century automobiles as well as collectible oddities from the seventies. The museum was well spaced with nicely written displays and we also chose to take a "personal" tour from one of the very knowledgable volunteers who gave us a more in depth overview. Our seventeen year old loved the current display of the micro cars, which included the "smallest car" he had just seen on a tv show.

San Francisco, California
9 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 13 helpful votes
“Very nice museum”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 24, 2013

The museum is a short drive away from Old Town and worth the detour. There is a large free parking lot right in front of the building. They offer AAA, seniors and students discounts on the price of admission, so be sure to bring your ID cards... The museum is very nicely laid out and decorated. The facility including the bathrooms is kept very clean. There are lots of old cars, some very unusual ones. They have rotating exhibits and very good explanatory signage for each display. There are several docents on site that are more than happy to answer any questions and give you a tour of the museum. It is about an one hour visit, if you just walk around looking, 2 or more if you really are into old cars and want to read all the signs and talk to the docents...

Visited March 2013
10 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 16 helpful votes
“Fantasy Island in Sacramento”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 13, 2013 via mobile

I helt like I was in heaven. This is an unbelievable collection of cars. I have seen lots of collections and this one has some of the rarest cars I have ever seen. This is a place you should not miss. The guides were very knowledgeable and very willing to take the time to make the stop memorable.