“Cars cars cars”

California Automobile Museum
Ranked #10 of 170 things to do in Sacramento
More attraction details
Owner description: The mission of the California Automobile Museum is to educate and entertain while preserving and promoting the automobile and its influence on our lives. The Museum is open daily from 10am - 6pm (last admission 5pm) and every 3rd Thursday until 9pm.
Reviewed January 23, 2013

Our last visit was for the Volkswagon exhibit. My kids are big "bug" fans, so they were thrilled. We missed the big display of them all out in another lot somewhere and were bummed about that. I've been visiting this museum since I was little when it was the Towe Ford Museum. It still looks the same! Same leaky roof and cold concrete, room, but I still enjoy it and so does my family. We love the history and appreciate the volunteers who are there to offer lots of great information.

There are newer reviews for California Automobile Museum

Reviewed January 20, 2013

This museum is a few blocks away from Old Sacramento, but well worth seeking out if you like antique and historic automobiles. Originally the 'Towe Ford Collection', the museum now displays all makes and models of interesting vehicles. The staff, including volunteers, are exceptionally helpful and friendly. Check it out.

Reviewed January 17, 2013

Getting up close and personal with vehicles from pre 1900 to modern electric technology was never more convenient that at this setting. Special exhibits feature themes and special events are hosted here, like a recent electric vehicle and technology symposium.

Reviewed January 3, 2013

I had visited this museum years ago when it was strictly a Ford museum. It went through major changes a decade or so ago, and now it has an eclectic mix of fascinating automobiles from the 19th (!) and 20th centuries. There are several unique vehicles that had been owned by famous people. In addition to the permanent exhibits, the museum includes some temporary exhibits on loan from auto clubs. The volunteers are extremely helpful--probably the most so of any museum I have visited either in the U.S. or abroad. I actually got informative lectures from two separate volunteers. Although I expected to stay for perhaps half an hour, we actually left for lunch and returned to complete the tour!

Reviewed November 9, 2012

There are plenty of interesting cars and some real historical treasures but the building is nothing more than an old warehouse with no real decorations and a concrete floor. There is no "map" of what's where and finding things is haphazard. With some imagination, creativity and good management, this could become a real treasure. Sadly, now it is not.