“Very personal and helpful at checkin”

Larkspur Landing Sacramento
Ranked #13 of 81 Hotels in Sacramento
GreenLeadersBronze level
vancouver
“Very personal and helpful at checkin”
Reviewed July 3, 2013

After a long drive, this hotel really hit the spot. Check in was fast, given a nice spacious clean room.
The breakfast included was of good quality. Eggs, yoghurt, bagels and other pastries plus individual fresh juices in the fridge (a nice touch - not from a dispenser). A nice start to the morning. Lots of restaurants in the area.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank beenthereVancouver

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (108)
  • Hebrew first
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed June 7, 2013

Check in was just ok. No personal touch, just check in and go. Not personable. However, depends who you get. Other rep did a great job with her guest. Key card did not work multiple times. Had to go down to the lobby a few times to get it corrected. Kitchen was dated. Spacious room. TV worked great. Bed was comfortable. Would have liked better lighting in the kitchen and bathroom. View was of the dumpsters. Asked to be moved. Was called back by the nice representative within 5 minutes from the front desk of an available room next to the elevator. Kept the room. Appreciated she tried. Light breakfast was great for on the go. Many healthy choices. Parking was ample. Hotel is on a busy street-so expect delays. Air conditioning was pretty loud. Overall, could have been better. Being a busy hotel during the week, expect some lack of room selections and delays. TIP: Ask for a room facing the back of the hotel.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank Critic1000
SF Bay Area
Reviewed June 3, 2013

Bravo to the staff at Larkspur Landing. It's rare to find such genuine and attentive customer service-oriented staff. When I arrived there was someone being helped at check in. Another staff member came right over to help. I was soon checked in by not one, but two very polite young women. Although I thought the question, "Are you visiting us for any particular reason?" a bit invasive, I think it was asked with good intentions.

My room was very large and the bed the most comfortable I've slept in. It's true, the cabinets are a bit worn and the desk chair is begging for retirement, the room was functional and comfortable.

I heard no noise during the night, slept well and with temps nearing 100 degrees, was very thankful for the air conditioner.

Great job all around and I would definitely return.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled solo
San Francisco, California, United States
Reviewed May 17, 2013

I just plain like Sacramento. It is almost the perfect town for me: A vast web of verdantly green, tree-canopied inner city residential neighborhoods out of some mid-American dreamscape bordered evenly with well-stocked strip malls -- who wouldn't want to live where Starbucks, Chevron and at least one great Chinese restaurant are within a 3 minute drive? Anyway, I wax to poetic over the River City. So, when a recent family event required we find a local hotel rather than our regular sofa bed, I was looking forward to the opportunity. Sacramento is nose to toes in lots of nice, modern, middle-American motel/hotel chains and one offs, all at reasonable prices. We picked based on three things: 1) Location, 2) Amenities (which included a typical "all suites" breakfast buffet and 3), of course, price. I was delighted to discover this adorable little "craftsman" styled chain of California-based hotels called Larkspur. Hey, I'm a bay area boy, so who wouldn't go for this? Location was the driving factor, right around the corner from where we needed to be, price was right in the middle of the road (with tax, $147 -- definitely not cheap, but not the $200 that a top of the line place would charge) and, as for amenities, here is their description, from their own website, of their "Healthy Start Breakfast":

Experts say breakfast is the most important meal of the day—and so does Larkspur Landing Sacramento. Our Healthy Start Continental Breakfast features an assortment of fresh, seasonal fruits, cereals, succulent pastries, bagels and English muffins, regular and light yogurts, waffles, delectable cheeses, and more. With healthy options available seven days per week, you’ll have the energy you need to tackle the day, whether you’re in back-to-back meetings or relaxing in our whirlpool spa.

Step back, here comes the petty meter! Do you see the word "waffles" in there? We sure did. It was -- I freely admit -- part of our purchase decision. So, how horrified were we this morning to discover there were no waffles. Nope, not OUT of waffles, there wasn't a waffle maker in sight. That's just plain old bait and switch.

On top of this, the "Studio Suite," while having a lovely kitchenette, was smaller than your average hotel room. I mean, there was almost zero floor space in this room.

Aha, now I understand what my $50 save got me -- a smaller room and no waffles. Petty? You betcha. This was a one off chance to have a lovely experience in Sacto and I am left wanting waffles. Ugh. Double Ugh.

Let's add on top of it the chat this morning upon checkout. I look at the nice young man and say, "oh, by the way, the desk chair...." He interrupts and says " yes, we know, they're all falling apart like that. We have new chairs on order for the entire chain, but it's going to be four to six months." Did I mention the faux leather chair covering was peeling off like a bad sunburn on day 6? Yes, friends, it was just gross. But, not gross enough to be taken out of the room! Hey, the room was lovely -- nice fixtures, lovely bed, nice and clean, a TV meant for a much bigger room placed in ours by mistake, I'm sure, lovely soaps (tiny room -- oops, I said that), and then this completely disgusting, scuzzy, peeling, flaking chair. Really? Big ooops.

Points to Larkspur for their lovely crafstman theme -- better in the lobby than in the rooms, where lack of space made it difficult to have a 2nd bedside table and thus the towering craftsman floor lamp. But a nice lamp...

I did not make it to the fitness center (totally my fault), I did not make it to the signature whirlpool (very cute and california, but I'm sure most Sacto visitors would prefer a real pool, particularly this coming summer). It was a lovely location and I slept well.

But, no waffles and the chair from hell. Folks at Larkspur, it's the little things that count.

And while I'm on THAT rant, how long is it going to take the hotel industry to figure out that guests want at least one extra plug next to the bed. I had to go nightstand diving (always risky to the housekeeping critique) to unplug the non iphone 5 capable clock radio so I could plug in my iphone 5 with alarm app. lucky I didn't pull a muscle.

Would I go back? Not until they make good on the website promise of waffles (oh, by the way folks, no cheese either, if you're taking them literally)/.

Room Tip: Tanya at the front desk was a delight! She must live in the back because she checked us in at 9 and...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
4 Thank Mark B
Wellsboro, Pennsylvania
Reviewed May 11, 2013

I stayed six nights while visiting family in Sacramento. The hotel is conveniently located near restaurants and shopping. It is located near a busy street, but is situated at the back of a parking lot so the noise of the street is not heard at the hotel. I found the setting to be peaceful and relaxing. I felt safe in my surroundings (important to a woman traveling alone). The staff is respectful and polite and go out of their way to assist guests as needed. The room was very clean, with ample space. The breakfast had a wide variety of choices with some options changing daily. The rates are reasonable, and I will definitely stay at this hotel again on another visit to Sacramento.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank dday2005
Irvine CA
Reviewed May 9, 2013

We stayed 2 nts. Really liked the location. Out of downtown yet close to everything including American River Bike Trail. Breakfast good. Enjoyed DVR- Reb Box rental close. Room smaller than we expected. Nt stand on one side only. Only criticism: The arms on the arm chairs in lounge area were filthy. Time to recover or replace.

Room Tip: Ask for view of trees if you like that..
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank indeptravelforus
Woodside, California
Reviewed May 3, 2013

For a two day trip, one night, trip to Sacramento, for Oncology appointments, we stayed at Larkspur Landing due to the location being convenient for us and the favorable reviews at this web site. It is an all suite hotel, and we had an executive suite with king bed. The room was spacious, quiet, with good air conditioner (it was 100 degrees that day), providing two T.V. screens, wired and wireless internet access, spa, complete kitchen facilities and nice A.M. limited breakfast. Some furniture was a bit worn, the Kleenex was limited, the toilet tissue was like thin sandpaper and there was no local phone book or hotel "guide" in the room. Overall, it was a pleasant place to stay, and we will return, if we go back to Sacramento. There are numerous, excellent restaurants nearby, as well as shopping centers, gas stations, and access to I-50 and I-80. When we return, will bring our own Kleenex and toilet tissue. The rate was quite acceptable. I believe they gave us a discount for seniors, or for CSAA or AARP.

Room Tip: Suite selection is according to type of bed needed. For A.M. courtesy breakfast, show up by 9 A.M.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled on business