“Disappointed” 1 of 5 stars

Ranked #47 of 82 Hotels in Sacramento
San Bruno, California
“Disappointed”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 28, 2013

When we got to the Vizcaya bed and breakfast we couldn't find where to check in. When we finally got to our room it was freezing. They told us the thermostat in the hallway controlled the heat in the rooms? What? The carpets were old and dirty. They were working on the room above us and there pounding and smells of paint in our room. The paint was chipping on the walls. We were really disappointed. When we woke up our room was like 85 degrees because someone had turned up the heat during the night. There was limited hot water and the breakfast was what you will get at a Holiday Inn. Also, there is a eerie feeling of spirits in this hotel. It looks beautiful to have a wedding here however, I would not advise anyone to stay here. Very disappointing.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Bliss Z

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (10)
Sacramento, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 24, 2013

My parents have stayed here twice while visiting from out of town. Both times, they were extremely happy - enough that they wen't back the second time! Staff is accommodating, friendly, and extremely helpful. Rooms are recently remodeled and comfortable. The hotel is in a great location central to Midtown, East Sac, and close to all the freeways. A great option for visiting Sacramento.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Clifton, Colorado
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 29, 2013

I recently stayed at Vizcaya for a relative's wedding. I read the reviews others had left and decided to keep an open mind as it was easier for me to stay at Vizcaya than get a room at a hotel where I'd have to get a taxi or car service to and from the wedding.

I should have got the hotel room.

Vizcaya was clean and had lots of towels in the bathroom. Yes, the pink carpet could be replaced, but it wasn't bad. Until that night when it got a little chilly as I had a room with two windows. There was no way to adjust the temperature in the room and the heater in the bathroom did not work. They do run out of hot water if you don't take your bath/shower early.

The staff does leave for the night, but don't worry, if you have a problem you can call the listed number and someone will come back.

The people in earlier reviews who said they had a choice of two different types of quiche were lucky. When Vizcaya says continental breakfast on their website, they mean the bare bones of a continental breakfast. You have more variety at a Days Inn than at Vizcaya.

The cushions on the chairs for guests to sit in at the wedding ceremony were stained, which, for a place that is a wedding venue is rather disappointing. Which was alright, because I was already disappointed.

Vizcaya is no bed and breakfast. Do yourself a favor and stay at a hotel.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled solo
3 Thank waterglaistig
Monterey, California, United States
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 25, 2013

Nice Victorian B&B in Sacramento. Nice garden and rooms. They mainly do weddings here. Very Beautiful garden and setting. We stayed in one of the rooms upstairs. The jacuzzi didn't work and the cook did not show up to make us breakfast the next morning. We were on our own. Needs some upgrades for this price!

Room Tip: They do have AC but is combined with other rooms -- so may not get as cold as you want.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Suzi L
Penngrove, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2012

I stayed in the Carriage House. I did have some problem checking in as I arrived at 6:05 pm and the main house was locked up. I had not made prior arrangements as I thought I would be there in time. There were not any instructions in the reservations what to do and the phone went directly to voice mail. Finally, I walked the property (not that large) and found a staff member setting up the event room, She was very apologetic and helpful getting me settled. I would recommend some instructions in the reservation or on the front door for those guests who inadvertently arrive after 6:00. The room was very nice, quaint and cozy and I appreciated that it was not a standard hotel. However, there were some minor maintenance issues that should be addressed. If I was paying a lot more, I would have been upset but for the price, I was fine. The bed was great with lots of fluffy pillows. There was a fireplace in the room but it was too early in the season to use it. I did use the soaking tub and loved it! The only other complaint I had was the breakfast. I was served reheated quiche and frozen nut bread. Neither was very good and I felt, while the staff was pleasant, the food was not. They need to rethink this menu choice. Overall, I would consider staying here again when visiting Sacramento.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank LuckDraw
Ormond Beach, Florida
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 16, 2012

The grounds are quite pretty and the Lobby is recently rennovated and portends for improvements throughout the B&B. Breakfast was a fritatta which was lovely, including Starbucks coffee. Our room - on the top floor, was tired, but had two double beds. The carpets are the worst, and I hope they replace them soon. All the money is going into the wedding/conference facility right now. A good friend of mine got married here in the late 80's and I believe the carpet is from then! But the staff is very nice, rooms relatively clean. So if you want to stay in a neat old house and can look past the tired furniture, you will be staying in the old "Hill" section of Sacramento - which is surrounded by many old Delta and Victorian gems.

Room Tip: I might op for one of the rooms on 2nd floor, The top floor room is HUGE but 3 floors up a skinny fl...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Los Angeles, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 27, 2012

Everything reviewers have said about the stained carpets, narrow staircase to the penthouse, mismatched furniture, and sluggish hot water is true, but that's no reason to shy away from the Vizcaya. If you prefer look-good, cookie-cutter motel/hotel chains, you won't be interested in this old house anyway. But if you'd like to spend a night in a house of your great-grandmother's era, treat yourself to the ambiance of the Vizcaya with its wide porches and high ceilings. It's in a lovely neighborhood with a number of other late Victorians and not far from eateries worth the cost. Our mattress was of good quality and the towels (and hot water when it arrived) were plentiful. It's just a question of what matters most to you.

Room Tip: If you are traveling with your family or just want enough room for a touch football game, try the Pe...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple