“The Citizen is luxurious”

The Citizen Hotel, Autograph Collection
Ranked #8 of 81 Hotels in Sacramento
Los Angeles, California
“The Citizen is luxurious”
Reviewed March 3, 2010

Close to mayor attractions in downtown.

Walking distance from...
Tower Bridge
Old Sacramento
River

• Stayed November 2009, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (241)
California
Reviewed March 3, 2010

Honestly, I would have given this hotel a 5 star rating...but I hate being pick-pocketed, even for a buck a night. That's how much *they* decide that *you* want to contribute to *their* favorite charity and add on to your bill per night- no joke. And *you* have to initiate having it removed. It rather reminds me of someone taking a dollar out of my wallet without my permission and not seeing anything wrong or illegal with it as long as they'll hand it back if/when I notice. It's tacky, and really degrades the rest of what could have been a wonderful experience. I hope they enjoyed their $2 - it's the last of my money they'll see. I stay in Sac at least 10 times a year, and had actually recommended the hotel to my colleagues at this last meeting - until I got home and read the bill.

• Stayed February 2010, traveled on business
1 Thank SCashCalifornia
Citizenmanagement, General Manager at The Citizen Hotel, Autograph Collection, responded to this review, March 19, 2010
Dear SCashCalifornia,

Thank you for your feedback. The program you describe is a company wide program that Joie de Vivre supports at all their hotels. Whuile the contribution is voluntary it does appear automatically on your bill and we remove it upon request. Based on your feedback and several others we have changed the way the program operates at the Citizen to a "opt in" rather than "opt out" program. Now the donation must be initated by the guest themselves and is no longer automatic.

Thank you again as your comments and feedback give us the opportunity to improve our hotel and services
Sacramento
Reviewed February 16, 2010

I wanted to give my sweetheart the perfect Valentines!!!! I got us a room at the citizen, and needless to say I'm not a satisfied customer!

I had heard a lot about the Citizen, from how beautiful it is, how nice the staff is, what a great location, and the list goes on!

Unfortunately no one told me how very small the rooms would be. Our room was so small that it was difficult for both me and my man to maneuver in the room at the same time.
The room was average, as a matter of fact I've stayed in less commercialized hotels that offer way better rooms. In addition to the room being small, the bath tub was only big enough to fit a 5 yr old in....And trust me I'm not a big woman, (not that that should matter).

Nonetheless less my boyfriend and I made the best of the situation and enjoyed our selves regardless of the tiny tiny room!

I was SUPPOSED to be billed $83.00 for the room, I was billed $139.00, I was supposed to have a wine & cheese platter added to the room, that never happened. I've been playing phone tag wit Alice from the accounting department because NO ONE from the front desk can explain to me why I was given a bill that stated my credit card would be charged $182.33 but I was actually billed $203.33??????

I wasn't really all that impressed with the staff either. Don't get me wrong it wasn't like they weren't professional, but if I'm going to pay $139.00 a night for a SUPER DUPER tiny room I expect the staff to separate themselves from hotels like Holiday Inn, Residence Inn, Hampton Inn, etc. I expect service like that of which I've received from Dream Hotel in New York city, Four Seasons in Atlanta, or my ALL time favorite where as I have NEVER been unsatisfied with my stay, the staff goes above an beyond what they have too, and although it's pricey, worth EVERY penny, Hotel ZAZA in Houston!!!!!

• Stayed February 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Tanya916
blarkin, Assistant General Manager at The Citizen Hotel, Autograph Collection, responded to this review, March 6, 2010
Tanya916,

I apoligze that we have yet to talk in person. I have tried to get a hold of you on several occasions via your phone and still look forward to hearing back from you. I am aware that previously to you writing your concerns that our accounting department was able to make the adjustments to your bill per your request. We were unable to make those adjustment until you provided us with your full name and date of stay, which may have led to your frustration of having to go back and forth with us.

It appears through your conversations with our accounting team thatwe have fixed everything to your liking. In reviewing your folio, it appears the charges on your bill were correct at the time of departure based on your room rate and taxes, valet parking and your additional purchase of our intimacy black box. Upon learning that you did not choose to use the intamacy black box, we were more than happy to credit your account for that item.

Being a boutique hotel, we have several different room types and floor plans to fit the needs of our guests. I am sure in the future we can find one that fits the needs of your stay.

We have a beautiful hotel and a wonderful staff that make us proud of the product we have to offer to the local community and visitors alike. I hope that your plans bring you back to see us again in the future.

If there is anything else that you would like assistnace in, please reach out immediatley so that we can help out.

Thank you very much for your feedback!
Washington
Reviewed February 4, 2010

The atmosphere at the Citizen is what makes this hotel stand out. The service is amazing from the minute you drive up....the staff makes you feel they have been waiting just for you! The rooms are luxurious and the beds and bedding are heavenly. This hotel is a must stay....not to mention they have a fabulous restaurant to indulge yourself in....The Grange. When visiting the Sacramento area, there is no other place I'd rather stay!

• Stayed January 2010, traveled with friends
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed January 25, 2010

The hotel is a great place to stay, if you want to stay in a mid/higher end boutique hotel. I stayed here for almost 4 weeks in total in Q4 for 2009. The rooms are on the smaller size(meaning, you have room for a bed, desk, but not a separate seating area), but by far, preferred the Citizen (to the Hyatt where had stayed for a week, also in Q4).
The Grange restaurant is wonderful (you can order it for room service), the short ribs (with rutabaga) and the cookie plates are to die for. Great martinis, nice bar staff. Lunch is "reasonably" priced if you're on an expense account. Centrally located. The only downside is that there isn't an onsite spa, but with a free happy hour (wine) - who cares?

• Stayed December 2009, traveled on business
1 Thank SKI_Road_Warrior
Cincinnati, Ohio
Reviewed January 23, 2010

This hotel was a wonderful surprise. Centrally located to the theatre (where I had business meetings) and downtown government buildings, it's a bright spot in an otherwise dreary downtown nightlife. The restaurant, Grange, was one of the best I've ever been to - an massive winelist of California wines and food all sourced locally and sustainably.

The hotel is a renovated tall office building. The lobby has a small dark library feel. But the rooms are warm and richly decorated with a spa like bathroom. I loved the room!

My only complaint with the hotel is that the staff all seemed very young, and were fairly unprofessional and unpolished. Especially the front desk staff - they dealt with customers like they were working at a cheap shop in the mall, not a polished boutique hotel.

Despite that, I'd recomend this hotel to anyone staying in downtown Sacramento.

• Stayed November 2009, traveled on business
Turlock, California
Reviewed January 22, 2010

The decor of the Citizen is very nice, with old law books and old political cartoons. The room definitely had character; it didn't feel like every other hotel on the planet. The staff was very friendly and pleasant and the restaurant, The Grange, was excellent (but pricey). Neither the room nor the bathroom (which had only a shower, no tub) were very large, but they were certainly adequate. The bed was very comfortable. Although the room was clean overall, the clock radio was dusty. One of the bathroom lights was burned out. there's wifi and wired internet, but you have to pay $10/day. There was a club across the street that was very noisy until well after midnight.

• Stayed January 2010, traveled on business