“Comfortable hotel in the heart of Sacramento”

The Citizen Hotel, Autograph Collection
Ranked #7 of 82 Hotels in Sacramento
Reviewed April 29, 2014

Recently spent a weekend here, and was generally quite happy with my decision. The hotel itself is located right in the heart of downtown Sacramento, which is great for some on foot exploring of the old town and getting to bars and restaurants. The restaurant within the hotel (Grange) is also a really good bet - the eggs benedict are something special for breakfast/brunch.

The ambience is really enjoyable, with the hotel harking back to the grand old days - from the library (with playable chessboard) themed reception area, to the detailed rooms themselves replete with catch phrases and political cartoons around the them of government (The Citizen...get it now?).

My room was the standard one, and was comfortable and well sized. Again, the decor was impeccable, and there was space to set up a laptop and do some work. I did notice some noise from a nightclub outside at street level (I was 10th floor), but nothing that kept me up - I suppose if you're a VERY light sleeper it might've bothered you.

Overall, a whistle stop visit to Sacramento, so I can't give an opinion in relation to other hotels in the city, but I've stayed in a lot of hotels all over the place and this is one of the good ones. If you're in town and unsure where to book, I'd recommend The Citizen.

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled solo

Reviewed April 26, 2014

Stayed here overnight for a wedding, and I have to say this is a plush and upgraded hotel, as you would expect from a Joie de vivre hotel. The check-in staff were polite and super helpful with my questions. The rooms were small but comfortable. The wedding venue was impressive, lots of windows to make it felt airy and open.

The only negatives were that there was a bar or club across the street from our room, so we heard the music bumping in the night. Also, the valet was expensive and a bit confusing. We came at busy time and I doubled parked because the drop off zone was packed with cars. I stood around looking puzzled for a couple of minutes trying to get the valet's attention, wondering how come no one is helping me. He finally told me that they could only take cars pulled over in the white zone. Thanks for telling me now. I had to drive around until the drop off zone was clear, but by that time I just parked a block away, fed the meter until it was 6pm and had free parking until the next day. Saved some money overall.

I would definitely stay here again, but I would plan my parking strategy better next time.

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled as a couple
Reviewed April 24, 2014

We had a great stay there for my wedding weekend with all of my bridesmaids and family. My now husband stayed there as well with all of his groomsmen. The staff was great, hotel was very clean, and beds were extremely comfortable! Getting ready in a 1 bedroom suite was great for 6 girls and the walls and decorations were awesome for pictures! We loved staying there for our special day!

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled with family
Reviewed April 23, 2014

I've stayed at The Citizen multiple times, which says a lot on its own because I never stay the same place twice. I absolutely love it. It's in a great location. It's a 2 minute walk from K street, which has bars places to eat like Pizza Rock, there are night clubs.... Ect. Also it's within walking distance from the Westfield mall.
I've never had an issue staying here, the staff is friendly and helpful. When they have events you might here some noise (weddings) but it's quiet by 10 and you get no noise from the K street activity.
It's a great place to stay. I stay relaxing as soon as the valet takes my car. The bed is comfy, big pillows, not a lot of noise outside door.
Also very easy to get to from highway.

• Stayed: April 2014
Reviewed April 23, 2014

After reading several reviews I called the hotel the morning prior to my arrival, and specifically asked for a quiet room away from the elevators, and also requested a bathtub. When I got to my room, it was a handicap accessible room directly across from the elevator. I think hotels should inform you if they are giving you an accessible room if you didn't specifically request one. And how on earth is a room directly across from the elevators considered quiet and away from the elevators? I called down to the front desk and they told me that they didn't have any other king rooms with a bathtub. Of course. So, I stayed in my room to keep the bathtub. Well, when I tried to take a bath later that evening, I discovered that the plug on the tub didn't work, and the water drained out. Maybe it was a safety feature since it was an accessible room. So, I didn't really have a bathtub, and I certainly didn't have a quiet room as I got to hear everyone who got off of that elevator talking loudly as they walked down the hall. Other issues included the fact that the bedside lights weren't plugged in, so I thought they didn't work and had to pull out the nightstands to plug them in. Just a very annoying experience. I will say that the room was very clean and the bed was comfortable.

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled on business
Reviewed April 17, 2014

The Citizen is the nicest hotel I've seen in Sacramento, and one of the best I've stayed in. The service was great, and the interior is gorgeous, jazzy & classic. The rooms were super clean, and there are 2 great coffee shops right on either side of the hotel. I would 100% recommend it to anyone else.

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled with family
1  Thank aplevin
Reviewed April 16, 2014

I spent one night here for a business trip. As usual for me, I flew in tired and hungry with not much time to spare before my meetings. At the Citizen, I was welcomed by a polite attentive staff and a clean comfortable room. I was able to get a reasonably priced quick bite to eat from room service before my meeting that evening and was pleasantly surprised with amazing service and great food. The hotel is nicely placed within walking distance to many of the government offices that one might go to this area for so it was nice to be able to walk where ever I needed to go. I'll be back for sure.

Room Tip: If you are traveling light, take a $2 bus ride from the airport to the hotel and save yourself the...