New! Find and book your ideal hotel on TripAdvisor — and get the lowest prices

Review of The Citizen Hotel, Autograph Collection

The Citizen Hotel, Autograph Collection
Ranked #11 of 81 Hotels in Sacramento
Hong Kong
“Join the Club for a free upgrade”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 17, 2013

I joined the Joie de Vivre Club online for free. That gave me a free upgrade. I went early (11am) on a Friday and was able to get a 12th Floor corner King. (Jr. Suites were sold out) as others advised. . With the "summer break" discount I got all this for about $135. Neighborhood is a mix of very high rent and lower class. Got my chocolate bars and soda at the liquor store across the street, but also a delicious lemon tart at an upscale bakery/restaurant nearby. MInibar only has space for you to put in one can of soda of your own. Valet parking guys out front make you feel very welcome right from the start. Wifi is $10 if you are not a club member. I like this hotel.

Room Tip: Corner King room, 12th floor facing park. Has lots of light. Join the Joie de Vivre club online for...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled solo
2 Thank annelisec

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (221)
San Jose, California
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 11, 2013

This is a great hotel if you are doing a photo shoot or ghost hunting. It is not super practical for families. We were accosted by hobos as we got out of the car to check in. The hotel overlooks a hobo park on one side and a bunch of alley ways on the other. The hotel seems like a place that would be haunted, dark, old, dank! The price was similar to the Embassy Suites and did not include any of the perks like free breakfast and a good location. We were duped into staying here by friends of ours who thought we'd be impressed....NOPE! The tub is super deep and my husband almost hurt his family jewels getting in and out of it. There is a fridge full of over-priced stuff that, if moved, will be automatically charged to your room.

On the upside:The décor is very pretty. The tub would be good if you are into taking bubble baths at hotels. The bathroom overlooked the state capital, which was fun to see as I was showering.

Coming from the Embassy Suites near the river the night before, this place was a down-grade.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
3 Thank amychav
Leeds, England, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 9, 2013 via mobile

What a superb hotel. We really enjoyed our stay at the Citizen. We had a couple of nights visiting Sacramento which is a town with an interesting if not somewhat sad history. I think the Citizen reflects that. It was built at a time when Sacramento was really going places, having secured its role as state capital. The high rise rather grand building that houses the citizen hotel was built to reflect this new found status. Unfortunately for Sacremento gold fever and other events led to more southern cities being developed. Whilst Sacramento stood still. Therefore the citizen stands somewhat isolated, a glamourous high rise oasis surrounded by many empty shops offices. The hotel itself is well run, beautifully decorated and good value. The meal in the attached restaurant was probably the best we had in California. Local food cooked beautifully. I am not sure we will be returning to Sacramento but if we did we would have no hesitation in staying at this hotel.

• Stayed July 2013
1 Thank Tim B
Saratoga Springs, Utah
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 6, 2013

My company booked me into this hotel for a 1 night stay. Having been to the Sacramento area frequently, I didn't expect anything special, certainly nothing beyond a rather nice hotel. Instead I found a lovely boutique hotel filled with captivating bits of history and political humor. I was given a room on the "historic 13th floor" and while the I was warned the windows were smaller, the view was well worth it.

The room was small, but included all the necessary comforts and a few extra touches (ipod/iphone dock, luxurious amenities in the bathroom, cozy robe).

The location is great - short walk to a number of restaurants and bars. There is also a restaurant attached to the hotel, but I didn't have a chance to try it out.

Tip: internet and parking(valet) aren't cheap.

Tip#2: Make sure to bring your camera and spend some time wandering around. The hotel is beautiful and you'll feel you've stepped back in time. This might sound geeky...but I almost felt like I was staying at the Hollywood Tower Hotel from the Tower of Terror ride at Disneyland.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 5, 2013

Enjoyed our stay at the Citizen. The rooms are nice, the bed is comfortable and the setting is fun. I found the room a bit warm and the hotel was responsive, checked it out there was no way to get it cooler but it was perfect with a fan. I liked the attention to detail in the room and the political theme. We were there on a weekend and as others have said the music in the adjacent park is VERY LOUD but it stops early enough!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Mountain View, California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 3, 2013

My boyfriend and a friend of ours stayed at the Citizen for a night before doing The Color Run with some other friends. We parked as others have suggested at the parking garage nearby - (nearest entrance on 10th) which was $10 covering our arrival around 9PM and our departure after the race around 2PM. Checkin was very efficient which was appreciated after our traffic filled drive from the Bay Area. We went and had a few drinks at Grange which was great - an interesting cocktail list and very friendly bartenders. The morning of the run we asked if we could have a late checkout so we could come back to shower and change after the run and they were able to accommodate our request for which the interior of my car was very thankful! The room wasn't large, but was more than big enough for our purposes and was very clean and quiet. If I was there longer, I would have appreciated some drawers to unpack clothes into. We were disappointed when we learned (from other reviewers prior to our trip) that we had to pay for internet so we just stuck with our phones. I would definitely return to the hotel again.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 31, 2013

We stayed here for three nights.

Clean rooms, very clean bathroom, very nice beds, awesome staff, very calm. We had a decent size of room and a huge bathroom!

Only two negative points: first, our room didn't really have a view because the windows were really high and second, WIFI is not included - you have to pay extra - which to me is unacceptable in 2013 in such a nice hotel! So we had Starbucks for breakfast with free WIFI ;-)

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple